AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was also in attendance for the panamorph demonstration. It was really nice to meet RGB, Kirk and Man E. I have been reading theirs as well as others posts about the panamorph for many months and even though I don't also understand when things get too technical I seem to learn something. Now for my impressions. It was a little hard for me to see things as well as I had liked due to the room where the Panamorph was being used was a bit light. The one thing that I first noticed though, was that the image seemed smoother I presume from the tighter pixel structure which was readily noticed when I stood right next to the image and the Panamorph was moved back and forth in front of the projector. I know the image was supposed to be brighter with the panamorph but due to the room, I saw some improvement, but I couldn't really say how much. As for ease of use this lens seems very simple to use, adjust and install. I have a Seleco HT200 and it seems that it will be a breeze to use with this lens. Shawn was very easy to talk too and answered all my questions. I have no doubt that this lens will be produced and shipped. The Panamorph that was used to demonstrate was, according to Shawn, a customers and that he will begin shipping on Monday 7-23. Only when I get the Panamorph set up in my dark room with the 8 1/2 foot wide screen will I be able to properly judge it. Although I'm pretty confident that it will make a significant improvement.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Dear Barttt

Thanks for posting your impressions. From the tenor of your comments I think we have a similiar lack of attachment to the technical nature of the Panamorph's optics.

In my case I have the DWIN. I hope the lens comes with a basic set of instructions for the technically challenged as to how to set their units for the proper scaling for the different formats HD, DVD etc. I am hopeful that the experts on this forum will continue to be available to help with these issues once the units are delivered

Michael

------------------

tuckerdog

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The P752 comes with a template for installation guidance. In terms of format, the Panamorph (indeed all anamorphic lenses) do not care what happens prior to their lens opening. They mearly squish or stretch whatever is sent to them.

Hey barttt, nice to meet you.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Bart,

If they were just shifting the Panamorph into and out of the

light path for a given image - then you are not going to see

any real change in brightness. The projector is still

throwing the same total amount of light at the screen.

Where the Panamorph makes the image brighter is when you

are projecting a 16:9 aspect ratio image. With the

Panamorph and an anamorphic [ i.e. stretched ] image sent

to the projector - the projector can use all its pixels.

If you don't have the Panamorph, then the only way for a

projector with a native 4:3 aspect ratio panel to display

a 16:9 aspect ratio image - is to turn some of the pixels

off.

That's where you get the increase in brightness - you don't

have to turn off pixels with a 16:9 aspect ratio image if

you have the Panamorph.

Greg

·
Premium Member
24,626 Posts
"If they were just shifting the Panamorph into and out of the light path for a given image - then you are not going to see any real change in brightness."

The total lumens will not increase (actually will decrease by a few % due to losses), but the brightness wikl. Whatever is being projected will be reduced in area to 3/4 of what it was. The same lumens on 3/4 the area gives 4/3 the brightness.

------------------

Noah

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Michael Goldman

The Dwin is already set up for the panny lens. All you need to do is go into the menu and when selecting type of screen,

choose 16x9A. By doing this, the scaler already knows that you will be using the panny lens and will do the correct stretching for you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.