AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mission: find a local gearhead with what he considered to be a good DLP picture and compare that to all DLP pictures I had seen in the past and convince myself once and for all I was a "CRT lovin MUTT".

Bonus mission: Find a CRT left working withing a 300 mile radius and see why the ABSOLUTE gearheads PRAYED TO THE ELECTRON GUN GODZ.

See CRT area for results there.

Subjective analysis: Looking at color vibrancy (is that a word?) image depth, line edges, clarity, black levels, screen door, front door, back door, rainbows, all the usual complaint areas.

Result: Get a Dell whether or not the magazines say its ok or the salesman says get the $7500 model.

DELL 3200MP...yes you heard me 3200MP.

Yea I know its only 1024 x 768 navaho resolution,

Yea I know its made to display spreadsheets of depreciating DLP values,

Yes I know it doesnt say Runco on the front,

BUT, what I also know is I have seen (5-10) $5000 to $10,000 projectors and NEVER once have I thought, "Hey, do I have my credit card with me?"

I went to overclkr's place to see why a CRT is better than a DLP and I really really got close to TAKING OUT MY CREDIT CARD FOR A 3200MP. By the way thats a DELL, not an Infocus or Optoma.

Sarcasm aside, plainly said, it looked very good. Bright, clear, 8' wide on $100 screen, connected to a Radeon pc.

Movies: Da Hulk, Matrix Rebooted, Find Da Nemo, Too Lost Too Flurious,

Negatives: Yep they were there, everything I had read about I learned to see real quick. Sharp, but artefacts on some edges, especially in Nemo, Screen door (friend saw it more than me) somewhat flat looking due to contrast (vs. CRT) color depth, not detailed in dark areas, a digital experience. I saw NO magic rainbows however.

Positives: Ease of setup, flexibility, picture quality (very impressive), Price, Price, Price, Warranty. No rainbows.

He mentioned the 3200MP would surely get a bad rap...I am here to say if its your budget or you can plow thru a salesmans **** sandwich, "Dude, you be gettin da DELL"

Summary:

While I was very impressed with the DLP performance, I am still am not sure the harsh digital realm is for me. He was more than upfront in saying his CRT needed some more tweaking and it was indeed a bit off focus...but with a nudge more tweaking it would have the clarity I want but with the color punch and deep blacks and depth of picture that DLP will never have.

So for today, I am still a CRT proponent - although that little Dell would sure go good in my bedroom..........hmmm? Wheres that credit card?

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Mike,

Glad you guys came buy to check out my theatres in progress. Hopefully this dispells any rumors about the Dell 3200MP not being a home theatre worthy projector.

I've been very happy with my Dell for the amount of money I paid for it. Like I told you, that little PJ rivals some, if not all of the $6000 DLP's I've seen in the HT stores.

Oh, and yes, CRT, for me, is king as well (for the next few years anyway) :^)

Cliff

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Quote:
BUT, what I also know is I have seen (5-10) $5000 to $10,000 projectors and NEVER once have I thought, "Hey, do I have my credit card with me?"
Can you name some of the high end projectors that you looked at.

BTW, even CRT's look bad in retail store setups. Is this where you saw the 5 -10 PJ's?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I've got the Dell and I have to say that the picture quality is ASTOUNDING for such a low priced product. The image isn't that far off from my Samsung HLN507W RPTV with the HD2 chip.

The Dell has real blacks and the color is easy to adjust. I was able to get all the green tint out, which used to be a problem with DLP. I had an LP350 about three years ago that cost three times as much as the Dell. It sure is amazing to see how far the implementation of the DLP technology has gone in that time.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chris5977
I've got the Dell and I have to say that the picture quality is ASTOUNDING for such a low priced product. The image isn't that far off from my Samsung HLN507W RPTV with the HD2 chip.

The Dell has real blacks and the color is easy to adjust. I was able to get all the green tint out, which used to be a problem with DLP. I had an LP350 about three years ago that cost three times as much as the Dell. It sure is amazing to see how far the implementation of the DLP technology has gone in that time.
HA!! ANOTHER HAPPY DELL3200MP OWNER!!

Glad you like your PJ Chris. I thought you might choose a different route.

Have you gotten a DVI Splitter yet?? I noticed the price coming down now on those.

Cliff

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kysersose
Can you name some of the high end projectors that you looked at.

BTW, even CRT's look bad in retail store setups. Is this where you saw the 5 -10 PJ's?
Retail yes, but mid to higher end specialty shops - not Best Buy. (worst buy)

God I hate that company.

They were Sharpvision $7500, Runco $10000, Infocus? etc. all the latest stuff that swas out at summertime 2003.

Why do the stores setups look bad? What is missing? What can be done to make it less harsh, have more black an detail in dark areas and not look flat and washed out - what are we missing here?

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
It's usually the setup. Most of them are in poor environments and improperly setup. My setup far exceeds anything I've seen in a HT exclusive retail shop.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Quote:
It's usually the setup. Most of them are in poor environments and improperly setup. My setup far exceeds anything I've seen in a HT exclusive retail shop.
How's it going? No arguing tonight ok? Or I might just have to ban you for a week :^)

The shop Mike is talking about is "The Little Guys". They do have their PJ's set up properly in light controlled environments, but for the minor picture improvements you see vs. how much more money your going to have to spend for those improvements just doesn't cut it in my opinion.

Maybe if I was rich I guess and didn't care about the extra 4 grand, that might be a different story ya know??

Happy New Year by the way!

Cliff

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Happy New Year right back at you!

Have you ever seen the HT1000? If so what did you think of it?

Just curious.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Curse the Dell 3200mp!!

A few weeks ago I had no plans to ever buy a PJ and was happy viewing movies on my lil TV (see web link.) That is till I saw a friends 3200mp, I was really impressed (keep in mind it was the first PJ I ever saw.) Anyway now I have the upgrade bug and as a bonus I also have the wife's approval to buy"stuff" :)

Has anyone see the Z2 and the 3200mp? I would love to hear their opinions comparing the two as I'm not 100% sure of what PJ/Screen I want to buy.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Quote:
Happy New Year right back at you!

Have you ever seen the HT1000? If so what did you think of it?

Just curious.
No I sure havent. There isn't any around my house on display for me to check out.

Have you?? You seem to really know your stuff when it comes to PJ's considering you used to be a Marquee owner and know a good picture.

Cliff

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Sarcasm:

Have you discovered putting peanut butter on the lense improves a DLP?

Kysersose

Seriously now - what have you done in your "setup" that would supercede what my local custom shop is displaying.

I am sure any and all DLP owners would like ways to improve the thing - such as black masking - etc.

Kysersose

Are there any tricks other than that and grey or silver screens?

The only thing I have ever read is some high end DLP guys say they have thier machines ISF calibrated (I am new, do I have that right ( ISF )

Whats that? Color balance? Still does not help all the artefacts related to DLP.

Bear in mind I am really close to getting a DLP as my first projector until I can find a decent deal on a real CRT, not one whos getting bid up into the stratosphere on Ebay.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Quote:
Have you?? You seem to really know your stuff when it comes to PJ's considering you used to be a Marquee owner and know a good picture.
Yes. I saw it hooked up to the Bravo D1 and a KBK powered HTPC, all being displayed on a HighPower screen. VERY NICE!

Quote:
Kysersose

Seriously now - what have you done in your "setup" that would supercede what my local custom shop is displaying.

I am sure any and all DLP owners would like ways to improve the thing - such as black masking - etc
For one I have masked around the entire screen, black drapes on the sides and black cloth above and below. This sucks up any light overspill.

I've also used V.E. and tweaked away for weeks on end until the picture looked as good as possible.

Most stores like to crank up the contrast and display the best DVD transfers possible (or just Pixar films alone). Most don't even know how to turn off the white segment in certain PJ's. I have nothing against these stores, I just find that they don't spend enough time setting up their equipment. Whenever I point something out to them that is set up wrong they just blame it on a fiddling customer. (Which is very possible)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1-10 how much did the masking improve the DLPS picture in your opinion.

What is V.E.?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where did you get the drapes - how are they hung - cost - shiny- flat?

I want to do the same thing but I am lost on the who what why and how.

·
Registered
222 Posts
What is the native aspect ratio on the 3200MP? If its 16:9 they might have a buyer here. If its not(stupid question alert!) is it possible to show 16:9 in true HDTV? Thanx, this looks like a great projector for the price - from a place I nevered considered in the past(Dell).

·
Registered
502 Posts
gladis-

To answer your question- I had the 3200 for about 5 months ( different ones) and since they developed problems - dell replaced each, and ultimatley returned my money. I waited a number of months and got the first Sanyo Z2 to hit the NYC area 5 or 6 weeks ago. While the dell was a great projector- (as anyone who ownes one can attest to), time and technology have simply marched on. The Z2 is simply a better projector on most areas. The dell looks better on sub par sources like ratty cable TV - no digital yet on my block- meybe even better on VHS or SVHS sources. The black level may be a tiny bet better on the dell as well- I never daw them side by side so hard to tell. But the Z2 (especially on a gray screen (I have goo systems- which I used on the dell as well) wins in every other area, features, color rendition, lens shift, 16:9, resolution, shorter throw lens (bigger pictures in smaller space) and using a 720P DVD player like the v880 with the Z2 is just amazing- almost HD quality. The Z2 is hard to get right now but a month or so is well worth the wait. SOmeone here has the sharp 9000 and said they almost identical - in picture- the Z2 lightly better in some ways, and most importantly too- No rainbows on the Z2- the dell had them though I trained my eyes not to dart so I usually didn;t see them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
That darned DELL keeps plying me with e-mailed discounts.

Today's was 10% off and still throwing-in the extra bulb.

Based on other's experience with DELL (ie no problem returns) almost a no-brainer.

(Un)-Fortunately(?) can't spend the $$s this month. Trying to finish the car I'm building;).

Be well,

Jim

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.