AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is going to be my first home theater and i am starting to get my components. I am am on a budget of $2000 for them. I read FreeEnterprises budget build and after showing the wife that it can be done on our budget she has given me the go ahead
! I was at my local best buy last night and they have a Sony recever for $207.99. It is an open box item but has all the paper work, remote, and cable with it. They said it will have a 4 year warrenty from Sony and i could get best buys warrenty too. It is model number STR-DN1000 770w 7.1 ch. So my question is this. 1 is it a good unit and 2 would you guys feel comfortable buying an open box item? i would post a link to one but can't since its my first post. Thanks

·
Registered
635 Posts
I used to work at BB in HT and open box items are typically not a bad deal. Usually, someone just wanted a different model, couldn't figure out what they got, or decided they couldn't afford it. Could have also been a display model. I would just check it out real close, check all the buttons, all the inputs, and make sur eyou are happy with it. Also, you might have some room to negotiate with an open box item. I know that we would initially mark them 10 or 15% off, but we could go all the way down to employee cost (or sometimes less) to get them moved out. I don't think it's beyond question to ask, "Can you ask your manager if this is the best price you can offer on this?". It would help if you were getting other stuff that would make the sale mean something to them, but sometimes (if they have a bunch of open items) they will move it for whatever they can.

Having said that, putting together a 7.1 HT for under $2K is going to be very aggressive. I don't know that I would want to spend more than 10% of my budget out the gate on a receiver, wihtout having plans/deals in place for the rest of it. However, you need a receiver sometime, and that sounds like a decent deal. But, what are your thoughts of a Home Theater in a Box to get your speakers, sub, and receiver/bluray player for like $400 or less? That will give you the most money to spend on projo and screen.

You might have gotten the wife approval, but you need a big picture plan before actually pulling that off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the responce. I thought the same thing about buying the receiver first. I do have a 5.1 theater in my living room now that i thought about using until i had everything else but then i ran across this and thought why not if i am going to end up getting one anyways. The componits that i am planning on are....

Mitsu HC 1600 $700

Sony STR-DN1000 $207

Sony PS3 $400

Acoustic Audio ht-87 $200

Sub Already have

Mount and cables/wire $150

Not counting the screen about $1700. I am still researching screens but if i have to i will make my own for now. Does this stuff sound like it would work ok? I am open to any suggestions and welcome them. My room size is 12' x 20' x 7'. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.