AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I appreciate any insight you can give! I'm looking to kickoff this phase of my life with < $700. Original budget was 500 but i've upped it to about 700 if need be. Can always add on in the future if i determine that's what is best. I've never had a HT setup, and looking to try to get a budget build going as I'm only a tv speaker user and a pair of HD380 pros when im at my pc where I mainly listen to music.

1) Your budget.
400-700

2) Your listening interests: movies/gaming/music--and whether or not any of those are your primary concern.
Main concern is movies > music > gaming. I dont primarily listen to music when i'm not at my pc, but maybe that is because I don't have anything decent to listen to easily.

3) Your existing audio equipment (make/models) if any. Include comments about what you hope to improve upon.
Let's assume nothing.

4) The size of your room. Please also mention if there are adjacent open areas and how big they are (important for subwoofer choice).
It wont let me post the imgur because i'm new... L3RBhmA.png is the id on imgur.

The room is 14.5'x20'. However it also has two adjacent rooms with open walls/no wall.

The lower layout is where i'm wanting to set it up. The green line being where the tv is and two adjacent rooms border it. I realize it may be a pretty crappy room so the gameroom being an alternative if that is necessiary.

5) Any placement restrictions.
Not sure what would qualify

6) Any aesthetic or size concerns.
No

7) Any equipment you are already considering (or would not consider).
Considering multiple things at the moment. I have received an offer for used equipment as well. The offer i've been given is $400 for Mirage m290 bookshelf speakers, center speaker, and rears with stands, and an old 5.1 dennon receiver. I have no idea how these speakers compare to modern day speakers or how much that equipment should be worth. Seemed like an honest guy that wasn't trying to rip me off, but no idea as im new to all this.

From my research in places other than this form.. as this forum has been a bit hard for me to follow/search. I came up with this starting build if the one above is not a good setup:
~130 Fluance SX6
~80 Fluance Center
~120 Fluance AVBP2
~150 Dayton 1200 sub
~200 Refurbed dennon receiver (Denon AVRS500BT-R)
-680 Total

A couple other speakers I was considering for bookshelves:
~150 Klipsch RB-41 (Center very expensive though)
~70 Dayton B652-AIR

8) Any particular audio sonic signatures you know you prefer (e.g., you are a basshead, you have a preference for bright treble, etc.)
I personally listen to A LOT of dance music. I don't know what this means i prefer as far as speakers or bass/trebel.

I appreciate the help. I'm excited and trying to exercise patience. I'm not committed to doing any particular setup and while i'm wanting 5.1 I might be convinced to even go something as simple as 2.0

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Patience is a virtue! I’d start out with the best 2.1 system you can afford first, then expand. I suggest you go out and listen to some budget speakers. The quality can vary wildly and no one knows your sonic preference other that you. A couple of other speakers to look at are the Pioneer at $127/pair: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS...51&sr=8-1&keywords=pioneer+bookshelf+speakers …and the Sound Appeal SA-vf6.5s at $69/pair: http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Books...=8-1&keywords=sound+appeal+bookshelf+speakers

Since your room is so open, you need to be looking at a bigger, more powerful sub. I’d recommend the Premier Acoustics PA-150. Many have been able to buy this $500 sub for $350 (eBay?) by submitting a bid. Premier Acoustics will also deal on the sub by submitting a bid, but usually not lower than $400.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
No. I just made a couple of other suggestions to look at (all are on Amazon, including the SX6), so you could order them, try them out to see how well you like them, then make a decision. If not totally pleased, send them back and order another speaker. Use that time to audition as many as you like (return shipping to Amazon is free).

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
The Sound Appeal is a good one for the price, I own it - and you can get 3 pair for
under $225 shipped, for a 5.0 speaker set up and have a spare speaker.

Then add a subwoofer and a receiver - then you can have a nice sounding system.

The Mirage M290 will also make a decent sounding system.

Your call

·
Registered
332 Posts
Klipsch is a pretty common brand that you can find used on Craigslist. I have owned some for several years and enjoyed it quite a bit. Just recently changed over to a different brand but would still suggest them for sure. The Reference line is what you want to go with most likely and the 5.25" or larger drivers. Where are you located?

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
i'll look into those, thanks for the suggestion! Is there a particular downside to the sound appeal?
You can find a pretty good review right here on AVS: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l-sa-vf6-5s-review-break-down-comparison.html
And here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...ppeal-bookshelf-do-they-have-some-appeal.html

Just remember, you are looking at a very inexpensive speaker that seems to perform well for its price point. But it is you that needs to be the judge. There are plenty of speakers that people like that I didn't care for, and vice-versa. It's all in the ears of the beholder. Note: I haven't personally auditioned any of the speakers mentioned here, but have heard good things about them, which may mean absolutely nothing ;).

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
i'll look into those, thanks for the suggestion! Is there a particular downside to the sound appeal?
To my my nit-picking ears, they are hard to trump for under $100, I even had
the Micca 42X and sent the Micca back.

Need to remember, that their are no perfect speakers - I have some speakers
that list up to $2,000 a pair and they still are not perfect.

If one could afford more, then there are better speakers than the Soundfield,
such as the Sony Core, Philharmonic AA and Wave Crest Audio.

You can always buy a pair of the Soundfield to test, if you do not like them,
then send them back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah having a receiver already would probably help in this situation. Do you know how the soundfield compares to the mirages?

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
Yeah having a receiver already would probably help in this situation. Do you know how the soundfield compares to the mirages?
The Mirage will be a better, if they are in good shape and have not been abused.
However, I would offer less than the $400 to start.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Any idea what model Denon receiver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I havent got the model on the receiver yet, hes going to send me the info and pics this week. He aaid i may want a newer one

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Receiver is apparently an AVR 2700, which looks pretty ancient from my research so i'll probably have to get a new one. So my questions are as follows:

• How much should I seek for just the speakers and the couple stands?
  • What budget receiver should I look at getting? I know there are some refurbed 5.1 denon receivers out there, are those any good?
Thanks again for all your advice

1 - 20 of 29 Posts