AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this so don't beat me up too bad :) I'm sure this will be question overload, but I learn quickly. So, I recently went out and bought some new speakers to use with my receiver to put in my family room. My old receiver decided to die on me. I have a few questions on the setup and speaker placement. Hopefully someone will be familiar with the receiver to help me be more specific. I've been using my new (about a year old) receiver with old Samsung speakers. I was in the store the other day, and a massive sale convinced me to buy some new speakers, and I got the free Klipsch sub. Too good to pass up. I do know how to run the Audyssey setup. Here's my equipment.

RECIEVER
Denon - AVR-X1100W

SPEAKERS
2 Klipsch R-26F (Floorstand)
1 Klipsch R-25C (Center)
2 Klipsch R-14M (Monitor)

SUBS
1 Klipsch R-10SW
1 Def Tech ProSub 800

OTHER (cheap older speakers)
5 Samsung PS-AR720S

Basically, to start, I have it hooked up right now as a 5.2. Pretty much have it set up as most basic as I can. There's a couple switches on the back of the Klipsch Sub, not sure what I need to have them set on. Also a knob on back of Def Tech that I'm not sure what to have it set on.

Next, I notice on the back of the Def Tech sub there are ways to route speakers through it. Is there a need for me to do this with my current setup, and what is this even for?

There are 2 subwoofer outputs, which I use both of. Is there any particular order I need to hook the subs up in?

Finally (as far as I can think at the moment), since I have plenty of extra speakers, I was going to go on and hook up two of the cheaper Samsung speakers to complete the 7.2 setup. Since the Klipsch are obviously nicer than the cheap ones, should I set them up using the surround, or surround back? Not really sure which one uses more sound, or what the Klipsch speakers would be best for.

Thanks again for taking the time to even read this. Sorry if I posted something already up or if this is in the wrong area.

Looking forward to hear something back so I can finish this!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
One of the switches on the back of the subs is a "Phase" switch that offers a choice of "0" and "180". Turn one sub off so you are only using one sub at a time. Play some bassy music and move the phase switch back and forth from 0 to 180 a few times and see which one sounds loudest. Choose the louder setting. Now turn that sub off turn the other one on, and do the same thing to that sub.

The other switch on your Klipsch should be set to "Auto".

The "Low-Pass" knob on your Klipsch can be set to "LFE"

The "Low Pass Crossover" knob on your DefTech sub should be turned all the way up since your Receiver should set the crossover when you run the Audyssey.

If you are using the LFE input on your DefTech sub (RCA connection), just ignore the speaker cable hookups. Those are generally used when a receiver does not have an LFE output. If you did need to used the speaker connections on the sub, which you do not, you would run the speaker cables from your receiver into the sub, then from the sub out to your speakers.

A good starting point is to put the Gain/Volume at the halfway point, usually pointing straight up. I assume that your DefTech sub has a Gain/Volume on the front (Edit: I looked up the sub and it is on the side near the top and front). When you run the Audyssey callibration it will adjust the signal being sent.

I am not sure that it matters which sub is hooked up to which sub output on your receiver.

I would put the lowest quality speakers for the surround back. Many movies only have 5.1 channel surround anyway. The surround back should have slightly less important information.

There are certainly a lot more involved things you can do to get the best sound, but hopefully this will get you one stop closer. Someone with more experience may pop in and let you know if I erred in any of my suggestions!

If you have a Sound Pressure Level meter, you can more accurately set the gain/volume on your subs so they are both even in the room. You will also need a disc or sound file that is playing a constant bass frequency, like Avia or DVE discs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume that one of the switches on the back of the subs is a "Phase" switch that offers a choice of "0" and "180". Turn one sub off so you are only using one sub at a time. Play some bassy music and move the phase switch back and forth from 0 to 180 a few times and see which one sounds loudest. Choose the louder setting. Now turn that sub off turn the other one on, and do the same thing to that sub.

I have no idea what the other switch is, unless it is a power switch. I am sure it has writing next to it, so if you could post what is says, you can get some better answers. Choose "Auto" of that is an option, and choose "LFE" if that is an option.

The knobs are probably gain/volume for the subwoofer; and crossover. A basic rule is to set the gain/volume at the midway point (pointing straight up), and the crossover as high as it will go. Your Audyssey set up will set the crossover point for you in the receiver, so after you have done the above, run your Audyssey.

If you are using the LFE input on your DefTech sub (RCA connection), just ignore the speaker cable hookups. Those are generally used when a receiver does not have an LFE output. If you did need to used the speaker connections on the sub, which you do not, you would run the speaker cables from your receiver into the sub, then from the sub out to your speakers.

I am not sure that it matters which sub is hooked up to which sub output on your receiver.

I would put the lowest quality speakers for the surround back. Many movies only have 5.1 channel surround anyway. The surround back should have slightly less important information.

There are certainly a lot more involved things you can do to get the best sound, but hopefully this will get you one stop closer. Someone with more experience may pop in and let you know if I erred in any of my suggestions!

If you have a Sound Pressure Level meter, you can more accurately set the gain/volume on your subs so they are both even in the room. You will also need a disc or sound file that is playing a constant bass frequency, like Avia or DVE discs.
Thank you so much! That definitely gets me going. As for the other switch, if I had just paid attention and looked at it one more time before posting, I would have realized it was the On, Off, Auto switch lol.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Thank you so much! That definitely gets me going. As for the other switch, if I had just paid attention and looked at it one more time before posting, I would have realized it was the On, Off, Auto switch lol.
I did some editing after you quoted my post, so check it out again.

·
Registered
12,764 Posts
It doesn't matter how you hook up your subs to the AVR. Your AVR doesn't have the ability to calibrate dual subs independently and as such those dual sub outs are just an internal y-splitter.
@Jawaburger is pretty spot on with his advice (despite being a newbie himself, good on ya! :D ), but this part is not quite correct:

One of the switches on the back of the subs is a "Phase" switch that offers a choice of "0" and "180". Turn one sub off so you are only using one sub at a time. Play some bassy music and move the phase switch back and forth from 0 to 180 a few times and see which one sounds loudest. Choose the louder setting. Now turn that sub off turn the other one on, and do the same thing to that sub.

Since you have Audyssey on your shiny, new AVR...here is my basic setup for dual, mis-matched subs with Audyssey:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Here is my standard procedure for 2 identical subs. The only difference with your mis-matched subs would be that you have to get them both to output the same SPL (will probably have differing gain settings), an SPL meter would work for this. Do you have one? If not, you should get one....it's an essential tool for HT.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Set the gain on both subs to the same level - around 12:00-2:00 on the gain knob is a good starting point (just a starting point, gain structure can vary greatly from one manufacturer to another). Set phase to "0" on both subs for now.

1. Connect sub #1 only and place it at the MLP
2. Do the sub crawl to determine the best position for sub #1
3. Place sub #1 in that position
4. Connect both subs and place sub #2 at the MLP (with sub #1 playing as well)
5. Do the sub crawl to determine the best position for sub #2
6. Place sub #2 in that position
7. Playing the AVRs test tone, adjust phase on one of the subs until you get the maximum SPL at the MLP (could be variable or a simple 0/180 switch)
8. Run Audyssey, first mic position only, and "calculate"
9. Look to see where Audyssey has set your sub trim, you want it to be around -6db to -8db ideally
10. Adjust the gain on both subs by the same amount up or down as needed
11. Repeat 8-10 until you get the sub trim around -6db to -8db
12. Run the full Audyssey calibration
13. Set all speakers to "small"
14. Set all crossovers to 80hz (or, if set higher than 80hz by Audyssey, leave them alone)
15. Bump up the sub trim by 3db to 6db to your preference
16. Enjoy!

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Thank you @Alan P, for the better and more accurate subwoofer set up instructions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts