AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Well I have a Pioneer SD533 on order due in any day now and have cable (which I despise).

Am considering going with Satellite, but dont know much.

I know that Dish and Direct TV are the main players; that they are merging; and that Direct has better customer service.

Aside from that, I know nothing.

I'd like service for 4 locations in my house. Don't want to have to watch the same thing on the kitchen TV as the living room, etcetc.

Thoughts and recommendations? I need to do something fairly quickly!

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Greg

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Pioneer SD533. Give me some details. Is it an HD TV?

DirecTV (D*) has the best sports packages. Dish (E*) has the regular programming for a little cheaper. E*'s doesn't have the monthly fee but there are a few bugs in the software. D*'s Tivo or UltimateTV will have a monthly recording fee added to your bill. Each provider has some differences in local channels so you might want to check their web sites to find out if you qualify.

As for customer service, it varies. D* has some long on hold times but you can get through to E*'s clueless CSRs quickly. Not to bash all of E*'s CSRs, some are good, they are just hard to find.

Post some more details of what you want out of the system and you will get more detailed recommendations.

-Robert

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My system is as follows:

(its in process)

Pioneer SD533HD (HDTV ready) 53" screen

Probobly going with Onkyo, Harmon or Denon on the receiver side

Infinity bookshelf speakers, w/ center and rears.

I would eventually like to get an HDTV receiver but due to cost want to hold off for now and just get the 4 rooms set up with the better receiver on the Pioneer.

Is the Dish and Direct quality pretty comparable?

It seems Dish requires a smaller initial outlay than Direct for the hardware. Also installation is a concern as I had a contractor from Direct out and they were afraid of heights!!!!(no kidding)

\\

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Quote:
Is the Dish and Direct quality pretty comparable?
The picture quality varies by channel. Premium movies and PPV look the best. Most people pick the provider based on either price, the few channel differences or sports packages.

If you're talking about hardware quality, that varies also. E*'s digital recorders are flaky/buggy. The non-recorders are pretty good. I've got a Dishplayer and an HD6000.

Quote:
Also installation is a concern as I had a contractor from Direct out and they were afraid of heights!!!!(no kidding)
It may not be any better with an E* installer. There are a ton of install horror stories on the web.

Go to www.dbsforums.com and find their dish pointing page. It will give you the direction where you need to have a clear line of sight. Some pick one provider over another based on this. Since you want HD, E*'s offerings are on the 61.5 or 148 sat. D*'s HD is on 119.

Since you want four receivers, you will max out the switch that comes standard with the D* 18x24 dish and E*'s biggest switch so you if you want a dual tuner model (DirecTivo, Ultimate TV or PVR721) then you will need more hardware.

-Robert

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies. What kind of hardware will I need? I don't really plan to go with Tivo right now....based on the comments about their system being buggie especially.

My ideal scenario would be an HDTV receiver with the Pioneer and then 3 basic receivers for the other rooms. I believe an eliptical dish is required also.

Thanks for your helpfulness. Any other advice is most appreciated!

Regards,

Greg

·
Registered
358 Posts
Don't forget the two Canadian mini-dish systems.. www.starchoice.com & www.expressvu.com

Both should give you a great picture quality in Georgia as both are using high power sats....F1 & Nimiq1 respectively.

Note that StarChoice's HD is not on F1....It's on Anik E2(to be replaced by F2). For now, StarChoice's HD would not likely reach Georgia.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
The DirecTivo is not nearly as buggy as E*'s recorders! I'm looking at switching for that reason.

The standard switch on an D* eliptical dish is a 4x4. Four inputs (2 per sat location) and four outputs. That limits you to four tuners. If you want more you need a 4x8 switch. If you want to include your antenna feed onto these lines, you need a 5x4 or a 5x8 switch with a diplexor per receiver to split that signal back out.

-Robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.