Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else seem this?

I installed this card in my AVS HTPC (550Mhz, Win98SE) a couple weeks ago. I have not flashed the BIOS but did move to the 7199 driver. On both my Sony 19" computer monitor and my 1270Q PJ the card exhibits the same behavior.

On first booting up from a cold start, the POST screen, Windows splash screen, and Windows desktop have small vertical squigglies approximately 1/8- 1/4" tall making any text unreadable for 3-5 minutes. The squigglies cycle through bands of smaller and larger frequency as if the card wasn't quite locked to the monitor. Then it clicks into a normal clear desktop. If I restart the system after it has settled in everything seems normal. Is this a defective card which has to heat up to sync correctly? It happens no matter what resolution or refresh rate I choose. It happens just the same on all three of the driver versions I have used. Please advise.

Mark Haskins

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Delicious2:

___It sure appears as if you have a bad card by the sounds of it. I would also verify the card is seated completely and that your connections are sound. Plug another PC into the setup to make sure. You did not happen to purchase a refurb from NewEgg, did you? In either case, Newegg’s RMA setup is about the slickest I have ever had the privilege to use. Finally, the latest Radeon “LE’s†have the retail BIOS so the latest ATI drivers enable HyperZ as well as the std. retail DDR Radeon’s core and memory clock without a hack. No Bios flash, registry tweaks, PowerStrip core and Memory clock control are needed for the basic DDR based retail Radeon performance.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
i have a radeon le from newegg and havent had any problems under win2k. while i leave it at default settings, it overclocked pretty easily with powerstrip although i didnt do any benchmarking or measure the heat.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for the quick replies. I will try reseating the card and rechecking the connections over the holiday weekend.

Mark H

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mark H,

You are not alone with this problem. I have also tried different drivers. What board, CPU are you using? I got the Epox 8kha+ with an AMD XP1500+. I am going to swap video cards, then try to upgrade the power supply( also ordered Enlight case w/300w ps ). After that I guess it be a RMA. Any other suggestions?

Dean

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Dean,

Sorry to hear that you have the same issue. I reseated my card last night and checked the connections. No change. This is a AVS brand HTPC circa 1999, a PIII 550Mhz using a Asus P3 B-F rev. 1.04. with 128MB RAM. It did not have this problem previously with the stock Geforce 256 card. Unless anyone else has ideas, I guess I'll check the NewEgg RMA process. I wonder if another Radeon card will be any better? Anyone else using a Radeon in this same AVS HTPC?

Mark H

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
i forgot to mention that i am using the radeon 7200 drivers downloaded directly from ati's site. i played around with one of the tweaked driver and it wasnt exactly stable so went back to the real thing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hifters1
Mark H,

You are not alone with this problem. I have also tried different drivers. What board, CPU are you using? I got the Epox 8kha+ with an AMD XP1500+. I am going to swap video cards, then try to upgrade the power supply( also ordered Enlight case w/300w ps ). After that I guess it be a RMA. Any other suggestions?

Dean
My friend recently bought that Epox board and was using that same 300W Enlight PS I gave him (because I bought the case with PS but replaced with Enermax 465 without a moment's thought because I have TigerMP dual board. Dual Athlon kicks TOO MUCH a$$ if that's possible :)

He spent a whole week trying to figure out occasional boot anomolies. Eventually, he put his old 250W Antec PS and the problem just disappeared. He put the Enlight PS back, the problem came back. It's not just power rating that matters, apparently. According to aceshardware/tom'shardware forum, Epox board is particularly sensitive.

I'm not saying that the PS _IS_ your problem, but I'm just saying that I'd replace it if I were you. People tend to forget sometimes that we get what we pay for.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ferret,

Well, I reseated the video card - no change.

Inserted a Radeon 64 VIVO - worked.

Changed PS to Enermax 350 w/LE - still bad.

I will contact Newegg for a RMA.

Thanks,

Dean

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Dean or Delicious2,

Just bought a Radeon LE yesterday and have the EXACT same problem! Running an ASUS CUSL2 mobo with an Antec KS780B black case + standard PP253X power supply.

Have either of you tried a replacement Radeon LE in your HTPC to see if it was indeed the card that was bad and not the combination?

I'd love to exchange the card as this makes me nervous ...

Kal

·
Registered
14 Posts
Kal,

I even tried the LE in another computer and had the same problem. It is on its way back to newegg for a replacement. I will post whether or not the new card has the same problem.

Dean

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Thanks Dean. I'll be replacing my problem Radeon LE today if the store has stock and I'll post back how it goes. I may have to end up buying a SDR 32/64 or DDR 32/64 if they don't have any LE's in stock. LE's are getting harder to find. I don't want a Radeon VE or Radeon 7000 because of their lower-bandwidth DAC's (300Mhz vs. 350Mhz). The 7200 has the higher bandwidth DAC's, but I don't know if the 7000/7200/7500 are indeed the same Radeon chips! Anyone? If so, I'll just get a 7200.

Kal

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the Radeon LE is on its way back to NewEgg. I switched all 3 of my Win98SE boot partitions back to Standard VGA, pulled the card and popped the original GeForce 256 back in. I used the tried and true Detonator 6.3.1 driver on all three partitions.

Man, its messed up now!

My main email/internet partition won't boot except in safe mode after I tried the new Detonator 23.11 drivers in it. Maybe, I should have uninstalled the ATI stuff first, huh? That partition has the most complex setup with WinDVD 2.8, PowerDVD 3.0 and TT. The TT was giving the dreaded "cannot find appropriate DVD decoder" error that others have noted.

On the main DVD playback partition, (WinDVD 2.8 only), the S/PDIF output won't work anymore from the AP 24/96. All settingsw are correct and I can see the signal in the AP's control panel meters, but, no output.

On the gaming partition with SB Live instead of AP 24/96 the sounds works consistently, but, the only game loaded (Unreal - Game of the Year edition) craps out loading most saved games - "server is at capacity" - as if it were trying to connect to an online server...

Luckily I use Ghost PE and can restore these partitions in a basic form quickly. Good thing too since this is likely to be a longer sorting out process than I might like. I don't really believe that another LE card from NewEgg is gonna be any different than the one I tried, but, gotta try it, right?

Well, I'm not really complaining, just reporting. I have had a smooth running system for a long time on all 3 partitions, so, occasionally sh** happens I guess. Thats part of the fun...errr, price of the bleeding edge.

Mark H

·
Registered
14 Posts
Delicious2 and Kal,

I returned the LE to Newegg and got the replacement. Everything works wonderfully now. Newegg must have received a batch of bad Radeon LEs. Hope everything is working out for you guys.

Dean

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Hi Dean,

Yep - everything's working great here. When I returned the LE I tried a different LE before leaving the store and it had the exact same problem. So I bought a 7200 for roughly $10 more. The 7200 uses the same Rage 6U graphics chipset and has the same 360MHz RAMDAC as the LE and most other Radeon cards (the 7000 and VE are the two exceptions - they have 300MHz RAMDACs).

The 7200 works great for DVD playback. I'm using PowerDVD 4.0 XP via H/W mode and the 7199 drivers. Will eventually upgrade to the TheaterTek (TT) player - at which point I'll have to downgrade to the 7093 drivers or whatever works best for TheaterTek at that point in time.

Kal

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like I'm out of luck. Got this today from NewEgg.

Dear Mark D. Haskins:

Thank you for using NewEgg.com as your computer parts provider, we are

dedicated to provide you with the best service.

However, for your RMA#

Customer#

14-102-165 VGA ATI|RADEON 32M DDR LE AGP % (Quantity: 1 )

The above items are not longer avaliable.

We have therefore credited you full on this item to your credit card. You

can use it to purchase any replacement as needed.

Thanks again for your patience,

Sincerely,

Customer Service,

Newegg.com

Funny, when I called initally about the RMA, the CS rep told me they showed >100 in stock. Is it possible that they all were bad? Anybody know where I can get a 64MB DDR for @$100?

Mark H

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
It might be a point of confusion

In the strictest sense, is no such thing as a "RADEON 32M DDR LE"

There is/was the Radeon LE and there is/was the Radeon 32 DDR

Maybe they are just out of the LEs and have the 32 DDR (likely) or

maybe they are out of the 32 DDR and have 100 LEs (not likely)

newegg shows the product number for the 32 DDR as N82E16814102157 for $61.00 (in stock)

They also have the VE (not as good as LE per threads here but dual out) N82E16814102173 for $55.00 (not in stock)

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Guys:

___I have heard from Kei over at DC that she received 3 of 10 bad “LE’s†a few weeks ago as well. I must have just been lucky with the batches I received before and after this problem was reported ;) In either case, the “LE†is becoming a rare commodity and the 7200 without GPU fan is the one to purchase today. $65.00 shipped isn’t going to hurt anyone either. The only problem with this card is that it’s using SDRAM … The gamer in me cringes at the thought ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm sure glad i got the first VE's that all came with DDR, bec i have no problems with games since I went into the Ghz realm. Thats for single player mode. Its so easily to get the wrong card with 3 versions of it out now plus with the new 7XXX name change & rv100 didnt help. haha Oh I did notice a couple places that used to sell them don't carrry them no more, so maybe ATI isnt producing anymore of the LE models...

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well NewEgg may be confused about their stock of Radeons, but, I don't care. I popped for a 64MB DDR VIVO retail at the local CompUSA ($199 before $50 mail-in rebate).

The wavy gravy warmup period is no more. ;)

Thanks for the support.

Mark H

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.