AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently, it's the new rage. Though I've heard that most of them do it poorly, such as the Pioneer, which supposedly introduces artifacts into the image.

For people that own an upscaling receiver...are you blown away by the quality difference it provides in comparison to your TV's internal scaler? How does it compare to something like the iScan VPs?

I ask because I'm interested in going with one of Rotel's prepros, but they just announced one with HDMI upscaling. I'm not sure if it would be worth it to sacrifice a bit of sound quality for a better image. I know that they'll release a prepro with upscaling later on, but the price will probably be killer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry to re-start an old thread but I have a question as to the benefit for me of upgrading my currrent a/v receiver.

First my current setup:

TV: Samsung 46" LN-T4661F - Purchased Sep '06

DVD: Samsung DVD 1080p7 - Purchased Sep '06

A/V: Pioneer DFX-D509S - Purchased May '03

Sat: Dish ViP211 (HD - 1080i)

Dish receiver and DVD player are each patched to the TV's HDMI ports via their own HDMI outputs. I then use optical cables for audio from the DVD/Dish receiver to the Pioneer a/v optical inputs.

I had considered swapping out the Pioneer a/v for the newer Onkyo TX-SR605, with full HDMI switching, though I wouldn't use the extra 2 channels it offers, but figured on eliminating the optical cables for the HDMI ones when patching the DVD and Dish receiver.

Other than using 2 fewer cables (eliminating the optical cables), what would I gain video and audio wise by making this switch?

BTW, I am a former musician but have reduced high freq hearing acuity (thanks to all those speakers on the bandstand
).

P.

+++++++++

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.