AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time Warner cabled just installed 2 DVRs in my house, both of them Atlantic Explorer 8300HDC models, with build dates on a sticker on the bottom of the devices of 2007. As a new customer, that was my first concern, having old equipment. When using the guide I noticed navigation was extremely unresponsive, even when compared to my sluggish DirecTv Genie from my previous house. When ordering Time Warner I was asked if I wanted Whole-House DVR. I said no as I preferred having 2 separate recorders so I asked for 2 DVRs instead. I used a friend's Time Warner Whole-House DVR last night and everything about it was better than my 8300HDCs (faster, more options, cleaner picture(?), larger capacity, etc. Some questions please:

I only need 2 receivers as we have, and will only ever have, 2 TVs in the new house.
  1. Is this old 8300HDC DVR the latest non-whole-house DVR I can get from Time Warner?
  2. If I get 1 Whole-House DVR for one TV, and another non Whole-House DVR for the other, will the 2nd (non-DVR) receiver be the old 8300HDC model? I wouldn't want that.
  3. Can I ask for 2 of the Whole-House DVRs to replace the 8300HDC I have, without enabling and/or using the Whole-House feature? Would I have to pay monthly for 2 whole-house DVRs packages?
  4. Does Time Warner have other receivers I can get? I'm only aware of the 2 models I mention above.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry if this is repeat question, the search feature always times out with no hits so I need to start a new topic.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:

The DVR receiver my friend has is a Cisco 8742HDC and his second non-DVR receiver is a DCX3200-M. Both has quick and responsive guides, about 4x faster than what I have (8300HDC). I read the specs for the DCX3200-M and it has 1 tuner.

More questions:

5) If I get a Whole-House DVR box and one of these DCX3200-M, can the DCX3200-M play a recorded show while the DVR is playing a different recorded show?

6) Can the 2nd receiver instruct the DVR to record a show?

7) Can the DCX3200-M watch a different show than what is being watched on the DVR, while the DVR is also recording a show? I'm pretty sure the Cisco 8742HDC has 2 tuners.

Thanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.