AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Good article.

"His wife, Amparo, walked up to the Samsung TV, inspected the back and shook her head disapprovingly.

'It's obsolete,' she said."

:rolleyes: CRTs are getting closer and closer to becoming history. But it's going to be awhile before we see the last of them.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rain
Good article.

"His wife, Amparo, walked up to the Samsung TV, inspected the back and shook her head disapprovingly.

:rolleyes: CRTs are getting closer and closer to becoming history. But it's going to be awhile before we see the last of them.
Obsolete my ass.. It's consumer ignorance like that, that is scary.. I'm glad Samsung still supports CRTS.. Hopefully the 2nd gen slimfits will fix the problems with this yrs slimfit models.. Also, Samsung should make a 32inch & 24inch slimfit model.. If it's feasable..

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Obsolete my ass.. It's consumer ignorance like that, that is scary..
I agree, KBI, I'm doing my homework now in preparation for an HD ready and I'm only interested in a CRT.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree with KBI...CRT's still rule on the PQ,durabilty,reliabilty, and price. The only thing plasma and lcd have are thin,some what lighter, and bigger screens (but PQ takes a dive). I know there is gonna be a lot of people out there that will say other wise but in another disscusion tread...pro's in tv and movie editing and production still use and BUY prograde CRT almost exclusively. Some of those prograde 20" tubes are $25,000 a piece. And let me tell you...if the PQ on a 20" lcd or plasma looked better than the crt for triple the price they would have bought it in a heartbeat. I was at the WCCO (CBS) studio a month ago and they spent tons of money on prograde CRT's.

The industry has done a good job with getting people to believe that they "need" larger and thinner TV's cause you can hang them on your wall (the eight friends I have their plasma/lcd's on a stand not on the wall) and be the cool one with a flat TV. Consumer TV's never really exceeded $1500 until plasma's and lcd came on the scene and started that buzz of TV's that cost as much as a new Mid-sized car. I don't think I ever saw a TV cost more than a car until plasma's came out.

Fact is I TOO like plasma/lcd technology like the next person but I think it has a long way to go as far as price and picture quality come together. At 4 grand for any HDTV plasma/lcd should have EVERYONE drooling at the PQ but in reality most people really drool over the size and the thickness like my non techy wife.

I will continue to wait until day comes when I think plasma/lcd will be worth the 3 to 4 grand I'm willing to spend...hopefully sooner than later. Like I said in other threads...HD tech with plasma/lcd should have knocked our socks off like when TV's went from Black & White to Color....I'm pretty sure most every one agreed back then that Color was obviously superior to B&W.

LONG LIVE CRT!!!

CHEERS

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

But thin sets are SEXY. :D Fat sets are not.

Regards

·
Registered
277 Posts
keep on hoping , but please keep in mind, crt is coming to an end. prices of lcd, plasma, dlp, microdisplay will be spiraling down in a couple of months. samsung slimfit, major disappointment, bad geometry, convergence issues, etc. everyone is complaining how disappointed they are with the slim fit. face the truth, crt tube is dead, been dead for a while. rip rest in peace, my friend, you served us well, bye. time to let go .

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yup ... sales CRT's are coming to in end...in maybe 20 to 25 years. I remember when plasmas just came out in the late eighties and many many so called experts said tube tv's sales will be extinct by Y2K...wow were they wrong. Hey...I think plasmas and lcd are TOO coming to an end. Time to let go, plasma/lcd will be dead, it served us so-so, bye. Move on to.....

LONG LIVE 3-D SMELLOVISION

ps...Michael...your right..Plasmas are sexy...that's why I STILL want one

Cheers

·
Registered
277 Posts
South Korea tries to save the cathode ray tube

Endangered species

By Nick Farrell: Monday 15 August 2005, 07:30

ELECTRONICS maker Samsung is going all out to save cathode ray tube (CRT) technology.

The South Korean manufacturer is peddling its new CRT tellies to US salesmen with a marketing drive that says that news of its demise is greatly exaggerated.

Samsung and LG are refusing to abandon the old-style tube TVs and have been making improvements to CRTs. Samsung has released a 'slim' CRT, 30-inch, TV which it says resolves a lot of the problems that have driven users to more expensive flat screen technology.

It measures 16 inches deep and weighs in at 120 pounds which is like attaching a baby white elephant to your wall, but it does only cost $1000 when most plasma screens cost more than $3000. It also seems to have a better picture.

According to Associated Press, the new slim CRTs are not doing that well in the US. Shoppers at a store in San Diego said they liked the picture and the price, but nearly all said they wanted something flatter.

It seems we will soon be seeing Cathode Ray Tube preservation parks at this rate. µ

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV
Greetings

But thin sets are SEXY. :D Fat sets are not.

Regards
True.. But PQ & price still rule.. :D That being said, my next HD purchase will probally be a plasma.. As much as I love CRTS's their small screen size & bulkiness is a downer.. Larged TV I ever had was 27inches.. I want to experience viewing HD broadcast & DVDs on a 42-50inch screen..

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
Quote:

I am sure the same could be said about the 35ish Amparo

ignorance like that is what keeps the LCD tech alive

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker
I am sure the same could be said about the 35ish Amparo

ignorance like that is what keeps the LCD tech alive
It's a shame the GP think LCDS are light yrs better then CRTS.. Cause it's new technology.. What they don't realize is, LCD HDTV's is still in it's infancy, while CRT technology is fully grown & mature. I read it all the time in gaming forums.. LCDS have a much sharper picture then CRTS.. Don't believe the Myth that CRTS display better blacks then the other technologies.. Makes you wonder if these guys are just brainwashed or being paid off.. LCD makers love it.. They get to charge more money for a LCD TV that isn't as good as a cheaper HDTV CRT.. The general public gets what they deserve.. :D

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI
It's a shame the GP think LCDS are light yrs better then CRTS.. Cause it's new technology.. What they don't realize is, LCD HDTV's is still in it's infancy, while CRT technology is fully grown & mature. I read it all the time in gaming forums.. LCDS have a much sharper picture then CRTS.. Don't believe the Myth that CRTS display better blacks then the other technologies.. Makes you wonder if these guys are just brainwashed or being paid off.. LCD makers love it.. They get to charge more money for a LCD TV that isn't as good as a cheaper HDTV CRT.. The general public gets what they deserve.. :D
While it's true that CRTs still offer the best PQ, LCDs have come a long way and the gap is starting to narrow. The days of big and bulky CRTs are near the end, but I think it's cool to see Samsung making an effort to keep the CRT around bit longer in a smaller and more compact design. But I don't really think it's going to catch on because prices on LCDs and plasmas are dropping pretty fast, and the majority of consumers want something that doesn't take up a lot of space.

·
Registered
277 Posts
US market: Sampo introduces 32-inch LCD TV priced less than US$1000

Hau Ting Yuan, Taipei; Emily Chuang, DigiTimes.com [Tuesday 16 August 2005]

Sampo recently released its Maxent-branded 32-inch LCD TV in the US market with a price tag of US$999.

The HDTV-ready model (MX-32x3) features a resolution of 1366×768, a contrast ratio of 800:1, a brightness of 600 nits and a aspect ratio of 16:9

Sampo aims to ship 100,000 LCD TVs worldwide this year with its Maxent-brand being pushed through chain store channels such as BestBuy and Costco, the company noted.

In January of this year, Peter Chen, general manager of BenQ's Digital Media Business Group, quoted a DisplaySearch forecast as saying that prices for 32-inch LCD TV panels will fall to US$500 by the fourth quarter and retail prices for 32-inch LCD TV will fall to less than US$1000 by then.

However, even though a 32-inch LCD TV priced at US$999 is now available in US market, customers will not have many choices until the Christmas holidays, Chen added.

Kolin also comments that the average retail price for 32-inch models in US market at present is still US$1,199, though the company expects the average price to fall to less than US$ 1,000 by the end of the year.

In July, Taiwan-based Teco Electric & Machinery rolled out a 32-inch LCD TV (TAL0032) priced at 100,000 yen (US$893) in Japan and the company sold over 10,000 units within half a day.

In Taiwan, ViewSonic, home appliance markers Tatung and Teco Electric & Machinery are currently offering their 32-inch LCD TV priced at NT$399,00 (US$1,250).

The global LCD TV market will reach 18 million in 2005 while Europe and US market will account for 31% and 28% of the market, respectively, according to DisplaySearch.

Sampo Maxent-branded 32-inch LCD TV

·
Registered
277 Posts
finally crt tube coming toward its end. rip "peace" . we are going to see less crt tube being sold at the major electronic retailers. Probably the prices of crt tube hdtv, will also be cheaper. i sticking with crt tube, for the time being, prices will be super affordable. Nope no slim fit set for me, sucks, sony superfine picth the way to go.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Unfortunately all of the Japanese CRT manufacturers will be gone by the end of this year and the Japanese led the way with the better quality CRT. The CRTs that will be sold next year cannot be compared to the better CRTs sold in the past. Also, these new slim CRTs from Samsung will also have picture quality issues near the edges of the tube. But slim is in.

CRT will still be around in the coming years, but this is the last year of the better quality ones and they will only get worse from here on out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
As much as I like pretty looking electronic, and as much as Direct view TVs don't look as appealing as high-end flat TVs, at the end of the day I realize how superficial the packaging is compared to the picture quality - something I'd actually be looking at when I watch. And no matter how new and how expensive these flat TVs are, I have yet to see something that will make me say, "well damn, this picture DOES look better than the CRT and it worth the extra cost". Even the most expensive LCDs barely look comparable when it comes to video content, actually, and plasmas and projection TVs all look kinda crappy to me.

My PC monitor is one of the LCDs with the nicest picture quality I've ever seen, and the level of black I haven't ever seen before on LCDs, and yet, when I watch a video on it that has a lot of darker hues, it makes me cringe, or when I watch it in the dark, and the black is still not real black... Still, I sit in front of that monitor on a small distance for hours and hours, and I'm willing to sacrifice it's black levels and other problems for it's perfect sharpness and geometry, but it's far from ideal for video content, something where CRT is still unmatched.

Few years from now, when SED or some newer promising technologies take a hold on the market, that's what I'd be buying, but for now good CRT is the only option for what I need.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum
Unfortunately all of the Japanese CRT manufacturers will be gone by the end of this year and the Japanese led the way with the better quality CRT. The CRTs that will be sold next year cannot be compared to the better CRTs sold in the past. Also, these new slim CRTs from Samsung will also have picture quality issues near the edges of the tube. But slim is in.

CRT will still be around in the coming years, but this is the last year of the better quality ones and they will only get worse from here on out.
If you haven't noticed in our TV market today, some of the giant Japanese CRT manufacturers are beginning to practice outsourcing for their tube TVs. For example, Toshiba has already given up building their own tube TVs. Every Toshiba tube TV models in our market today, regardless of what price, have been outsourced to Orion, the maker of the low-cost Broksonic, Durabrand, some Insignia, Memorex, Orion, and Sansui brands. Toshiba has still refused to inform the public that all of their tube televisions apparantly are now made by Orion. Panasonic is thinking about retiring manufacturing their own tube televisions very soon. So far, some of the Panasonic tube televisions apparantly have been outsourced to Orion.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum

If you haven't noticed in our TV market today, some of the giant Japanese CRT manufacturers are beginning to practice outsourcing for their tube TVs. For example, Toshiba has already given up building their own tube TVs. Every Toshiba tube TV models for this year, regardless of what price, have been outsourced to Orion, the maker of the low-cost Broksonic, Durabrand, some Insignia, Memorex, Orion, and Sansui brands. Toshiba has still refused to inform the public that all of their tube televisions apparantly are now made by Orion. Panasonic is thinking about retiring manufacturing their own tube televisions very soon. So far, some of the Panasonic tube televisions apparantly have been outsourced to Orion.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
SED all the way, this looks to be a mix between crt and plasma, with a native resolution of 1080p!

SED all the way for me,this may just be our saviour!

Not to mention they will cost half the price of a plasma, and have the same PQ as a crt without geometry distortions or convergance errors.

SED baby!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.