AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm surprised nobody has posted this here yet. Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. reached a deal today with GM (Hughes Electronics parent company) and Hughes Electronics where News Corp. gets GM's 19.9% stake in Hughes and another 14.1% of Hughes from public shareholders.

While this is all still subject to regulatory approvals, etc. etc. it is still an interesting news bit for those of us in the DirecTV world.

http://www.newscorp.com/news/news_188.html

Spanky

·
Registered
261 Posts
From the above link:

“With almost 15 years of expertise gained at our worldwide pay-TV platforms, including the industry-leading BSkyB, we are confident in our ability to grow this asset quickly, rewardingly and in a manner consistent with the competitive spirit that has guided News Corp. for half a century. From day one, we have pledged to make our programming available to all multi-channel distributors on non-discriminatory prices, terms and conditions, and at the same time to open the DIRECTV platform to all competing programmers.â€

Lets hope this means more HDTV!

:D

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveWinNJ
lets hope this means more HDTV!
Most people in HD forum are saying they are switchin to E* now becuase of the perception of Murdoch's no HD attitude. While I just think FOX is not broadcasting HD beucase so few people have it, not worth the investment to go HD where ED was little cost for them to start broadcasting and looks way better then SD.

As for PVR I think they will rock, BSkyB ( www.sky.com ) has some great features and very interactive. They have PVR already with Sky+ ( http://www.sky.com/skycom/skyplus ). Its very similar to UTV (minus the web) and blows away E*'s PVR. All the standard we expect, 2 tuners, DD5.1, record series, etc. Shorter guide but thats about it.

Overall I think its great for D* but unsure about HD programing. My personal view is people who have HD have money, Murdoch wants there money, he will give them somthing that will get him the most money.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From all I have read on various forums the HD issue seems to be of great concern to most. For me I could care less. I've got no HD and I don't plan on getting HD until it's more widely available. I'm all for a good picture but I've got other hobbies than this. Besides, I'm the kind of guy who since getting UltimateTV shortly after it's release has changed into a "What are commercials?" person. All our typical daily viewing at my house is done time shifted, and right now I'm not going to be doing that with an HD signal, so I've got no use for HD.

The future may change that, but I'm not going to start doing that whiney baby "well I'm gonna change to _______" or "I'm going to sell my ______". I've got a great setup that works and will continue to do so for the future. HD PVR? Well then things might change, but I'm sure that by the time an HD PVR is economical enough for me to change and to get the HDTV to go with it, that Murdoch will have seen fit to propagate lots of HD signals across the DirecTV spectrum.

Spanky

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize Murdoch was so anti-HDTV. I'm still waiting on NBC and ABC to start broadcasting again from New York. I only have CBS, HD-NET, SHO and HBO in hidef, (real-time) so I find myself watching the UTV more than my HD receiver. I was hoping that would change for the better....:(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I've gathered though his reasons for being somewhat anti-HDTV are fairly valid. I mean let's face it......of the total TV viewers (or in this case DirecTV subscribers) what percentage use HDTV? Does anybody have a link or reference to some real data here? You can't blame somebody for not wanting to take up bandwidth that a minimal amount of users can/will use. (I'm assuming it's a small number when compared to the total subscribership)

Like I said before, I don't currently use HDTV so I don't have a problem if Murdoch isn't a fan. If the people want HDTV, he will provide it. He didn't become this powerfull by not delivering a product the consumer wants.

·
Registered
17,805 Posts
Switching services based soley on what Murdoch may or may not do with HD is silly. None of us know his plans. Right now, E* and DTV both have approximately the same HD lineup, so unless one service starts surpassing (or falling behind - depending on how you look at it) the other, there is no point in changing services.

Those people who are jumping ship to E* are idiots in my opinion. They know nothing of Ruperts plans. For all they (or any of us know) he may use this as an opportunity to pursue HDTV. He may very well use HD programming to attract customers away from E*. Rupert isn't stupid. While there is no guarantee he will begin supporting HDTV, there's also no guarantee he won't. Even if I was an HDTV viewer, I would still stay with DTV until I know what's coming. Those that have jumped off DTV and onto E* will feel foolish if DTV gets ESPN-HD first.

Also, this sale hasn't even gotten FCC or FTC approval yet. It may not even go through, though it does look a lot more promising than the sale to E*.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
TI didn't realize Murdoch was so anti-HDTV.
I would not say he is anti-HD, but many in the HD forum would. He was against mandated HD in Australia but HD is not mandated in US, Digital is and he is already doing that. I think they be fine for HD, he just knows most don't have it yet so he is letting others (Disney, NBC, CBS, etc) bring people to HD then he will go HD. Like I said, I think this is great for DirecTV and don't think I have to worry about a lack of HD content, it just won't be from News Crop for awhile.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
I find myself watching the UTV more than my HD receiver. I was hoping that would change for the better....:(
I watch my UTV more the my HD reciver but thats becuase I am watching a non-HD program or a recored program I rarely watch stuff live now. Thats why I can't wait for HD-PVR.

Again I do think this change will be fine for HD, just the HD content will be from HDNet, HBO, Disney, etc vs News Corp for the next few years. Heck, this may rock beucase Murdoch uses ED so much he may start send that over D*.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I can guess why he's allegedly anti-HDTV. All the infomercials are in SD. And since the only other channel will be Fox News, what would be the point?

I expect the name to change from Direct TV to Fox TV about 5 minutes after the apparent FCC approval. :D

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by austinsho
We were hoping no one would notice.
Kinda reminds me of my local Time Warner just recently becoming Brighthouse without telling anyone. One day they announced the change had occurred and ever since anything you ask them they have a disclaimer apologizing for all the errors! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.