AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
I hope Microsoft doesn't get it's hands in DirecTV. Then they'd want all set-top boxes to use Windows. They've been trying to get a foothold in the cable stb market and have, so far anyway, failed to make decent gains. They're also trying to break into the tv video server market and haven't done well, there, either. Broadcasters and the cable industry are wary of Microsoft because of it's history of take-overs and the imposition of non-standard standards (or rather Microsoft improvements).

·
Registered
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by artshotwell:
and the imposition of non-standard standards (or rather Microsoft improvements).
Q: How many Microsoft programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: None, they just change the standard to "Dark".

An oldy but goody.

Tony

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by artshotwell:
They're also trying to break into the tv video server market and haven't done well, there, either. Broadcasters and the cable industry are wary of Microsoft because of it's history of take-overs and the imposition of non-standard standards (or rather Microsoft improvements).
I have always and will continue with WordPerfect (Corel) application software. However, it seems more and more A/V systems are moving to NT. Even the new Studer audio console in our S/HDTV mobile unit uses NT as the operating system (regardless, folks, this is one far-out audio console)[pictures will follow when I learn how to use a web host].

------------------

Wendell

Technical Services Supervisor

MAETV

·
Registered
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Diode1:
Well if this happens we all will need to get new STB's.

As most now come without a reset button.
Yeah...these STB's boot much too quickly for any Microsoft product.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You must not have a Dish 6000. I am well-versed with its "reset" button (holding down the power). And it is pretty slow to reboot when you perform the reset. I suspect that is why it is basically left on all the time, even when you turn the "power" off.

------------------

- Jeff

·
Registered
279 Posts
Microsoft's investment of between $3-6 billion is supposed to give Microsoft a "prefered" supplier status rather than guaranteed status. I believe the best scenario will be for the CEO of Hughes to succed in his plan to spin out GMH from GM in a debt/equity buy-out. So far there have been few interested parties, as losses resulting from subscriber aquisition mount.

Controll is the big issue. One can easily invision the future viewing divice in homes integrating T.V., broadband internet, picture phone etc. Hughes has a history of partnering (TIVO, AOL, RCA) to bring this about. Hopefully the decisions over controll and an open platform (subscribers choose providers) will remain with Hughes.

Properly done, Hughes will be the dominant player in the home media field. Customer service, over compression are two areas they need to address though. Randy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.