AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, if the NAB convention in Las Vegas is any indication, HDTV is far from dead HD cameras, recorders, editors, transmiters, etc. were everywhere. How many orders were placed may be another story. But certainly, the equipment was there in abundance. Although most of the HD displays fell into the very expensive professional category, a number of manufacturers showed their line of consumer models as well. Panasonic lined a wall with a number of widescreen digital displays including their new 47" rp, 34" direct view, 42" sd plasma display, 50" hd plasma display, and 52" dlp. It was quite interesting to be able to compare these sets side by side. First off, the dlp produced a bright, crisp image in an extremely attractive (and slim) cabinet. However, the sets inability to reproduce deep blacks gives the image a bit of a washed out look. Deep blacks also appeared as dark grey. The new 47" (the cabinet is a smaller version of their 55" rp set) was unimpressive on every level. The picture was soft, the colors so-so, and the blacks looked a bit washed out. No one at Panasonic could say for sure if this was a pre-production or a production set (and, of course, it could be a case of poor setup). The 34" look good as a 34" direct view should. But the most impressive images came from the 42" and 50" plasma displays. The 50" hd display looked as good as any hi-def display I have ever seen, and even the 42" sd plasma was a knockout. Plasma displays in the past were rightfully criticized for their inability to produce good blacks. Not any more. These sets produced some of the sharpest, brightest, and best pictures I have ever seen. Plasma displays from all manufacturers were everywhere but it was always the Panasonic that stood out especially in the sd category. JVC also had a 50" hd plasma (one of the thinest I have seen) that was producing a terrific looking image. Both these hi-def sets seem to be taking plasma to a new level (pricing for the 50" sets was about 20K). If JVC's D'ahlia was there, I didn't see it. Although there may be reluctance among the broadcasters in adopting HDTV, certainly the manufacturers are poised and appear ready to go.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
>>If JVC's D'ahlia was there, I didn't see it.

Go to the JVC booth. It is in the big black walled room that takes up about a third of their entire area. Inside that area are several smaller (120" screens with the smaller home type projectors plus the big theater room that has an ongoing demo loop plus a presentation every half hour.

The Panasonic DLP rear projection was nice and bright, but I have this thing about that damn grid on the screen that even this RPTV had. I didn't bother to ask the price on this, did you?

------------------

Don Landis

Home Theater Pics at: www.scubatech.com Last updated 3/25/01

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Don:

According to Panasonic the 52" DLP retails for about $13K. Thank you for the info on the JVC, but I didn't have time to go back and find it. How did it look?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Patrick:

I'm sorry but there was not a great deal of information available about the set so I do not know the answer to your question.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I saw the Panasonic 52" DLP at Abt Electronics in Chicago with the lighthouse HD demo and it was very fine. The screen door effect was not visible if you stepped back a few feet. It would be a fine choice in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
This is NOT a problem, because it is not true. The Panasonic DLP (PT-52DL10) does 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. 720p looks great.

>>Note that although the Panasonic DLP is native 720p, the TV is

>>not able to do 720p (go figure) This is especially a problem

>>for anyone using a HTPC.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Sorry, I should have quantified that reply. It will output HDTV 1080i, 720p, and 480p, the problem is simply related to the native output via PC of 1280x720.

Kei Clark

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Are you trying to use the RGB port on the front, or one of the component inputs on the back? The RGB port on the front apparently is not intended for HDTV use; the specs are clear that it will go up to 1024x768, but everything above 800x600 gets scaled to 800x600. It seems like the component inputs should be able to handle the 1280x720 from an HTPC just as well as from a stand-alone STB, although you may need a card that outputs the component signal with tri-level sync (rather than just being able to use a transcoder on an RGB signal).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.