Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Broadcasting & Cable...

Dedicated to high-def

In the gray box at the bottom of the article. No word on who has carriage. The lead article is also HD related and informative.

Quote:
HD Theater will be ad-supported but in a modified manner. With 30-minute shows, commercials will run at the show's top and bottom. Longer shows will have short commercial intermissions.

Subscribers will pay a subscription fee for the service, but, again, Discovery wouldn't elaborate on pricing other than to say it will be negotiated with each operator. "Some operators look at HD as a defensive strategy, and others look at it offensively," explained Clint Stinchcomb, Discovery's VP of new media.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
burnsy,

Thanks for the heads-up.

Just as I suspected - a subscription fee.

Here's the whole article by Ken Kerschbaumer

Broadcasting & Cable - 6/10/2002

Dedicated to high-def

When Discovery Networks unwraps its new high-definition TV channel next week, blockbuster library productions like When Dinosaurs Roamed America and Mystery of the Alaskan Mummies, filmed in HD, will headline the schedule.

HD's crisp, clear images are perfectly suited for Discovery's outdoor and archeological programming. "You see vivid details like the scales on the dinosaurs," said David Karp, senior VP and GM of Discovery's digital networks, who oversees the HD channel, dubbed Discovery HD Theater.

Discovery isn't commissioning projects for HD Theater just yet, but more and more productions are being filmed in high definition. Chairman John Hendricks has cleared Discovery's analog nets to commission 20% of new projects in high definition. Upcoming shows, such as Lewis & Clark for Discovery Channel and Before We Ruled the Earth for TLC, will be filmed in HD and air on both the analog services and HD Theater.

Discovery, the first basic-cable programmer to spin off a dedicated HD service, boasts more than 100 programming hours in high-def, all of which could play on HD Theater. The June 17 launch coincides with the anniversary of Discovery's birth in 1985.

One big difference is that, in 1985, nearly 40 million Americans had cable. Discovery is launching its spin-off HD net into a tiny HD-ready universe. Only about 2 million homes are equipped with HD-ready TVs. The Discovery Channel reaches 86 million homes; its digital nets, 15 million. But Discovery likes to strike early. "We were the first to launch digital networks in 1996," Karp said, "and we're now at the forefront of high-definition TV."

HD Theater will be ad-supported but in a modified manner. With 30-minute shows, commercials will run at the show's top and bottom. Longer shows will have short commercial intermissions.

In the early weeks and months, Discovery will showcase some of its best HD library shows, including Inside the Space Station and The Leopard Son. Eventually, acquired programming from foreign distributors like Japan's NHK, which has been shooting in HD for several years, could make its way to HD Theater.

One drawback for high definition has been higher production costs, but Karp says that is slowly changing: "Everyday, shooting in HD becomes more accepted, and the costs are coming down."

Some aspects of HD Theater are not as clear as the picture, such as discovering just which cable and satellite operators will be carrying the channel at launch. Discovery says it's talking to all the major distributors and, come launch day, will have subscribers. Cox Communications, a Discovery investor and HD-capable in some markets, could carry it. Time Warner Cable, Comcast Cable and Charter Communications also offer some HD service.

Subscribers will pay a subscription fee for the service, but, again, Discovery wouldn't elaborate on pricing other than to say it will be negotiated with each operator. "Some operators look at HD as a defensive strategy, and others look at it offensively," explained Clint Stinchcomb, Discovery's VP of new media.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
if i'm paying it better be some interesting stuff. not some fly around your favorite city in a helicopter and tell me how great it is crap. god those hd demos piss me off. i think hd producers are the worst.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Eventually, acquired programming from foreign distributors like Japan's NHK , which has been shooting in HD for several years, could make its way to HD Theater.

This would be the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
ADebar,

You'll be happy to know that Catherine Frymark has confirmed that Animal Planet's "The Crocodile Hunter" and Discovery Channel's "Ultimate Guide" series will be shown on "Discovery HD Theater."

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hardrock
ADebar,

You'll be happy to know that Catherine Frymark has confirmed that Animal Planet's "The Crocodile Hunter" and Discovery Channel's "Ultimate Guide" series will be shown on "Discovery HD Theater."
Forget it then. No way I'm paying to see alligators playing in the water. I'd rather watch scenics of cities and the countryside shot from helicopters on PBS's demo channel.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G

Forget it then. No way I'm paying to see alligators playing in the water. I'd rather watch scenics of cities and the countryside shot from helicopters on PBS's demo channel.
Jerry,

You'll need a bigger rake (and a shovel) for this muck. We all know that you'll be among the first to pony up the scrip fee when the time comes.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G

Great post Jerry!

Who says you have no sense of humour?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I am happy to see more HDTV available in any form( pay or free). However, I would not pay to watch this channel. In fact after the novelty wore off, I would probably watch it as much as i watch the other discovery channels, which is "NEVER" even for free!

baimo

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
What a wonderful world we live in, with enough diversity in HD programming for any & all types. Of viewers, that is.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Am I reading this right? Will we be paying additional fees to watch this new commerical station?? I already subscribe to plus for all the other Discovery channels and if it's not included, it wouldn't sit right with me.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Eventually, acquired programming from foreign distributors like Japan's NHK , which has been shooting in HD for several years, could make its way to HD Theater.

This would be the icing on the cake.
I am already getting everything I want from NHK and WITHOUT commercials. I will not pay a subscription fee if ANY programs are interrupted by commercials.

I don't mind commercials between programs however.

bb

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
How quickly you people turn.

For years now people have been clamoring for it, and now that its just about here and you find out you might have to pay (I dont' think anyone ever claimed it would be free) everyone is against it. I do agree that if its only them going around to different towns like on HDNet I won't be interested in paying for it, but I could see watchign different programming on it like shark attacks and stuff like that if they ever have it.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I am dying for this channel. I will probably never leave the house :)

I don't mind paying between $5-10 a month if the content is good. That is the price of 2-3 DVD rentals and I am sure that I will watch more than 4-6 hr per month.

Scott

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quote:
ADebar,

hardrock, you just made my year. :p

as for jerry g. enjoy those worthless, boring-as-hell, fly-over-chicago, crap shows. i'd rather see the croc hunter wrestle deadly crocs. something about some loser in a helicopter telling me how much he enjoys the "prairies of france" or something like that just doesn't sit well with me.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Burns
I am dying for this channel. I will probably never leave the house :)

I don't mind paying between $5-10 a month if the content is good. That is the price of 2-3 DVD rentals and I am sure that I will watch more than 4-6 hr per month.

Scott
I don't mind paying for quality programming either, but

***** I MIND PAYING FOR COMMERCIALS !!!!!!!!! ********

I hate commercials even when they're free.

bb

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Shows which are less than 30 minutes in length will have no commercial break but they will be preceded and followed by commercial messages from the channel's presenting sponsors. Shows longer than 30 minutes will contain intermissions. Discovery will offer its advertisers the unique opportunity to provide commercial messages with compelling high-definition clarity.

http://www.discovery.com/corporate/p...s/020416r.html

·
Registered
381 Posts
BB1987,

I agree. I am more than willing to pay for quality HD content. But I will not pay to watch a Taco Bell commercal on my 10' screen.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
If it's going to be $10, fine. No problem. But Discovery should insist all commercials are also in HD.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by burnsy

Subscribers will pay a subscription fee for the service
I think this probably applies to DirecTV or DISH, as they would be the first level subscribers/operators. Whether they (DirecTV or DISH) decide to offer it free to their customers (us) is a separate question. I believe they pay for much of what they offer today in some form or way.

Ed

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.