Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Does anyone know when Dish is planning to release the Dish PVR with the built in HD tuner? I am contemplating purchasing the Dish 6000 but if the new device is around the corner I will wait.

Thanks

------------------

Eram

---------------------

TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish PVR 501, Receiver=Marantz S5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
I would respectfully request that you put a "?" (question mark) at the end of your topic. It sounded like you had information about the release of this product.

As to your question, the latest is sometime in 2002, probably mid to end of 2002.

[This message has been edited by Jerry G (edited 07-12-2001).]

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure? I have asked around and been told the new PVR which will be a combo Dish 6000 and PVR in one is supposed to come out this fall. I was hoping for updated news.

------------------

Eram

---------------------

TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish PVR 501, Receiver=Marantz S5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ensyed:
Are you sure? I have asked around and been told the new PVR which will be a combo Dish 6000 and PVR in one is supposed to come out this fall. I was hoping for updated news.
I don't know if anyone can be absolutely sure. But I believe 2002 was mentioned in the chat that discussed this receiver, and I've heard 2002 from others. Only time will tell for sure.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
In the last Dish customer technical forum they said early 2002. There is another customer technical forum Monday at 8:00 ET and they might mention this again.

Rick

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick_R:
In the last Dish customer technical forum they said early 2002. There is another customer technical forum Monday at 8:00 ET and they might mention this again.
Rick,

The July Tech Chat has been postponed/cancelled. The next scheduled Tech Chat is August 6th.

Chip

·
Registered
439 Posts
The current DishPVR 501 is well...lame...big time. It's basically a 4700 platform with a Hard Drive. It only supports dozen or so events, and only gets guide data 44 hours in advance. If all you want is to pause TV and record something every now and then, I guess you can't beat the price, but if you already have Replay or Tivo you aren't going to like it.

Charle did say that they would have an HD PVR by the end of the year. This is a similar time frame as Tivo's new box based on the Teralogic Janus platform. Although I think either may hold off releasing a new HD unit until more DTV's are in the channel.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Thanks to the newest S/W upgrade (version 1.18), you now have 50 timers, and the guide is now stored on the harddisk, so it will be faster to view.

But otherwise - you're probably correct. Think of the DishPVR501 as an IRD with a 30-35 hour VCR type function. If you think of it in them terms, it is really not a bad unit. It's certainly no TiVO or Replay/ShowStopper.

I could certainly live with a unit like that, or even better, replace the 4900 front-end of the 501 with the HD capabilities of the 6000 (including the OTA 8vsb tuner module). I'd buy one in an instant if the HD was there, even if it couldn't record the OTA. And it would still need to be able to be used by NTSC equipment as the display device -sweet !!

------------------

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.