AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone here says they would like to see more newsgathering in HDTV. Here is one of the problems. Tonight I'm doing a liveshot for NHK (Japan) from New Hampshire. NHK is all HD. Take a look at the picture below. Its a shot of the spectrum analyzer in the uplink truck. It shows frequency (bandwidth) on the x axis and power on the y axis. On the right side of the picture, you can see six NTSC digital uplinks, all side by side. Each of those humps is a single digitized NTSC source. Can you find my HDTV signal on the scope? :)

http://www.tvuplink.net/images/temp/hdscope.jpg

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
That's a great shot. Thanks.

Brian

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Yea..Give a newsie an HDTv camera..sure..just the thing for those who can

break an anvil! At least you'd really be able to see how dirty the lens is!

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sat_uplinker
Can you find my HDTV signal on the scope? :)
I saw the scope before I read you comments and I said "DAMN! A DVB HD signal!" Then I read you comments. Stay warm up there if you can!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Can you share satellite, symbol rate and polarization (I will guess that the frequency is 11.950 GHz) so I can try to pick it up on my dvb-s card :)

I occasionally pick up PBS HDTV on AMC 3 and it looks pretty decent.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Galaxy 11, 11942 V, 3/4 FEC, 27.489362 symbol rate. 4:2:2 profile. its only up till 2230 est. i can post some pix of the NHK HDVS edit decks later tonight.

Id like to know if you can get it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I was able to lock in on it (and believe it or not my dish was already poinintg to G11).

All I could see was a black screen and no audio (I think something is goofed up with my filter graphs), but I was able to record it and when I play it back it shows video just fine.

V

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What time did you take a look? They pulled their camera out around 2130, and we were just flying black for the last half hour of the uplink. They were sending us 1.5Gbps HD-SDI with embeded audio, into a Mitsubishi HDTV encoder and EF Data RF modulator. Do you have an agile Ku band antenna at your house? And a DVB satellite tuner card? Thats kinda cool. What do you usually do with that setup? Have any pictures? You can post what you captured (but it was black, right?) I don't think anyone in Japan will care. NHK shares a lot of HD video with PBS as well.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NHK's linear editting with Sony HDCAM / HDVS system.

http://www.tvuplink.net/albums/nhprimary/DSC00019.jpg

PS- Cool image captures! They look really good! People say HD doesn't look any better than NTSC on small screens, but our return monitor was a 9" Sony Multiformat HD broadcast CRT monitor, and damn was it sharp!

·
Registered
851 Posts
As for my setup, I have a visonplus dvb-s pci tuner card and 31" dish on a motorized mount. I have been able to succesfully pick up satellites from 58 degrees W to 123 W (I still think that I am not fully on the arc, but the weather has been too crappy for me to go outside and mess with it).

I have a Ku band linear lnbf on it and there is plenty free-to-air stuff to watch. Mostly foreign stuff, but sometimes that is fun to watch too. And there are alot of newsfeed and backhauls too.

V

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very cool! How do you find signals to watch? Do you have a scope?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I don't have a scope. I use lyngsat for reference and there are few yahoo groups that post backhauls. There are some standalone receivers that will automatically search symbol rate, but I am not ready to spend money on that yet. For now, I made a little program using sdk for my card that will go through the frequency range I specify and I test it with some common symbol rates. It's slow but.... :)

V

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,753 Posts
Thanks for letting us know about this. Too bad it's not available via conventional sources in North America.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am having scary thoughts about seeing Ho Dean go off in HD...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.