1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fox Orders 2 Pilots – AI Drama ‘neXT’ & Comedy ‘Adam & Eve’

by Denise Petski
February 5, 2019 5:30pm

Fox has ordered two additional pilots, AI thriller drama neXT from 24: Legacy co-creator/executive producer Manny Coto, This Is Us directors/executive producers John Requa and Glenn Ficarra and 20th Century Fox TV; and single-camera comedy Adam & Eve, based on the French-Canadian format, from writer Jon Beckerman (Ed), original series producers Avanti Groupe and 20th Century Fox TV.

Written on spec by Coto, neXt is described as a propulsive, fact-based thriller grounded in the latest A.I. research. It features a brilliant but paranoid former tech CEO who joins a Homeland Cybersecurity Agent and her team to stop the world’s first artificial intelligence crisis: the emergence of a rogue AI with the ability to continuously improve itself. Marrying pulse-pounding action with a layered examination of how technology is invading our lives and transforming us in ways we don’t yet understand, the series also presents us with a villain like we’ve never seen before, one whose greatest weapon against us is ourselves.

Coto executive produces alongside Requa and Ficarra, who also direct, and Charlie Gogolak of Zaftig Films for 20th TV where Zaftig is under a deal.
This is the third drama spec by 20th TV to get a pilot order this season, joining Surveillance at CBS and Heart of Life at ABC, and the studio’s fifth spec overall picked up to pilot, along with comedies Happy Accident and Nana.

Written by Beckerman, Adam & Eve, based on the French-Canadian format, follows one couple at three stages of their relationship — young and passionate, middle-aged with kids, and navigating retirement. It’s a comedy about the big questions: What makes a marriage last? Do people ever really change? And, after 40 years together, why can’t we pick a place for dinner without it turning into a whole, you know, “thing?”

Beckerman executive produces with Avanti Group’s Claude Meunier and Luc Wiseman. 20th Century Fox TV is the studio.

Adam & Eve is Fox’s second single-camera comedy pilot order this season, joining Richard Lovely, along with multi-cams Geniuses and Patty’s Auto.
neXT is the fifth drama pilot ordered this season by Fox, joining Deputy, Filthy Rich, Prodigal Son and Untitled Tom Kapinos Drama.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/fox-orders-2-pilots-ai-drama-next-comedy-adam-eve-1202550404/

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Eve Harlow Cast In Fox’s AI Drama Pilot ‘neXT’

by Denise Petski

February 28, 2019 9:30am

Eve Harlow (Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.) is set as a series regular in Fox’s AI thriller drama pilot neXT from 24: Legacy co-creator/executive producer Manny Coto, This Is Us directors/executive producers John Requa and Glenn Ficarra and 20th Century Fox TV.

Written by Coto, neXt is described as a propulsive, fact-based thriller grounded in the latest A.I. research. It features a brilliant but paranoid former tech CEO who joins a Homeland Cybersecurity Agent and her team to stop the world’s first artificial intelligence crisis: the emergence of a rogue AI with the ability to continuously improve itself. Marrying pulse-pounding action with a layered examination of how technology is invading our lives and transforming us in ways we don’t yet understand, the series also presents us with a villain like we’ve never seen before, one whose greatest weapon against us is ourselves.

Harlow will play Gina. Easy to offend, a bit of a nerd and ultra woke, she works at the FBI cybercrime division.

Coto executive produces alongside Requa and Ficarra, who also directs, and Charlie Gogolak of Zaftig Films for 20th TV, where Zaftig is under a deal.

Known for her roles in the NBC miniseries Heroes Reborn and the CW’s The 100, Harlow recently appeared in recurring arcs on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and Rogue. She is repped by Industry Entertainment and Oscars Abrams Zimel & Associates.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/eve-harlow-cast-fox-ai-drama-pilot-next-1202566914/

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Hmm. Seems interesting. I do have this sneaking suspicion that it will end up being an alarmist , paranoid take on AI though.

Well, I hope it ends up being exciting in any case.

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Manny Coto Fox Series ‘NeXt’: Why We Should Really Be Afraid Of A.I. – TCA

One of the inspirations for Manny Coto’s Fox series NeXt came from his son’s Alexa: The device, out of the blue, began talking at 3AM one night.

“He claimed it happened a couple of times, but we never got down to the mystery. These things have a mind of their own even though we have five of them in the house because the kids won’t let me get rid of them,” said Coto who also submerged himself in a number of scientific books, many off Elon Musk’s theories, about the looming fears of superintelligence and how it could potentially turn against us.

The series, which looks to hit the network in May, focuses on one serious A.I. which is hellbent to destroy the lives of those trying to stop it. John Slattery, Fernanda Andrade, Jason Butler Harner, Eve Harlow and Michael Mosley star.

Coto billed the first season, which takes place over two weeks, as a “manhunt” in which the “AI knows everything about the people around it, but is attacking them through their personal lives and careers, so they can in turn not attack it.”

“It’s a manhunt without a man with a ticking clock that isn’t sure either, but this thing gets exponentially smarter,” adds the creator at TCA today.

The fact that it’s another compressed timeline series like 24, which Coto served as EP, “is coincidence. 24 was a nightmare to keep the continuity together and this is a challenge as well. But I’ve seen the first batch of episodes and I’m really pleased.”

“If an AI outbreak happened, it would occur quickly; there’s no time for pensive thought,” said Coto during the
“We’re dealing with a super-intelligence with access to incredible amounts of information, adds Coto. And it’s not the “high concept usage of AI that’s the most frightening” says star John Slattery, but “the mundane” as it accesses information about people that’s readily out there on mobile devices and in clouds.

And just like the actors who play villains, this AI isn’t inherently bad. He just has an impartial purpose in its mind.

Says Coto, “The AI in this show isn’t evil in its own mind, it’s following the programming it was given and not self aware or self conscious.”

https://deadline.com/2020/01/next-fox-manny-coto-series-a-i-elon-musk-1202823770/

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Added to the fall schedule for Monday's 9-10 PM.

From creator and executive producer Manny Coto (“24: Legacy”), executive producer Charlie Gogolak (“This Is Us”) and executive producers and directors John Requa and Glenn Ficarra (“This Is Us”), NEXT is a propulsive, fact-based thriller about the emergence of a deadly, rogue artificial intelligence that combines pulse-pounding action with a layered examination of how technology is invading our lives. The event series stars Emmy Award nominee John Slattery (“Mad Men”) as a Silicon Valley pioneer, who discovers that one of his own creations – a powerful A.I. – might spell global catastrophe. He teams up with a cybercrime agent (Fernanda Andrade, “The First”) to fight a villain unlike anything we’ve ever seen – one whose greatest weapon against us is ourselves. The series also stars Michael Mosley (“Ozark”), Jason Butler Harner (“Ozark”), Eve Harlow (“Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”), Aaron Moten (“Mozart in the Jungle”), Gerardo Celasco (“How to Get Away with Murder”), Elizabeth Cappuccino (“Jessica Jones”) and Evan Whitten (THE RESIDENT).

https://deadline.com/2020/05/fox-fa...a-proof-schedule-filthy-rich-next-1202930903/

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I'll watch it just because it will likely be one of the few new shows airing this fall that isn't a talent show in an empty theater, a cartoon, or people doing stuff in their living room or basement, but I can't help but get a chuckle out of this apparent contradiction: "fact-based thriller about the emergence of a deadly, rogue artificial intelligence ."

The fact that Fox had shelved it doesn't bode well. Maybe it will provide "Under the Dumb"-like fodder for this forum (which seems to have quieted down of late).

·
Registered
7,652 Posts
I'll watch it just because it will likely be one of the few new shows airing this fall that isn't a talent show in an empty theater, a cartoon, or people doing stuff in their living room or basement, but I can't help but get a chuckle out of this apparent contradiction: "fact-based thriller about the emergence of a deadly, rogue artificial intelligence ."

The fact that Fox had shelved it doesn't bode well. Maybe it will provide "Under the Dumb"-like fodder for this forum (which seems to have quieted down of late).
Wasn't shelved, the last episodes got caught in the Covid mess while filming in Chicago. Fox wanted this on in the Spring rather than the Summer. With production on most TVshows in limbo waiting till Fall is actually a smart thing. TV still runs on advertising.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Wasn't shelved, the last episodes got caught in the Covid mess while filming in Chicago. Fox wanted this on in the Spring rather than the Summer. With production on most TVshows in limbo waiting till Fall is actually a smart thing. TV still runs on advertising.
Thanks for the clarification. The article I read didn't give a reason for it being held back, so I assumed the worst given Fox's track record with sci-fi shows.

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The cast and producers of NEXT discuss the new show in this Comic-Con 2020 @ Home panel.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Had to LOL when I watched one of those and someone said 'no one's done anything like this on TV before'.

Um yeah they have, plenty of times. Person of Interest and Westworld among the latest.

Could be good, worth a watch but there's nothing new here really.

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
John Slattery As Paul LeBlanc | Season 1

Paul LeBlanc Fears The Worlds Fate

1 - 20 of 60 Posts