AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
18,530 Posts
Watched the first episode. I liked it. “Iliza, will Fox prematurely cancel this show since I liked it?” “More than likely, yes. Do you want to hear the weather?”

Reactions: WilliamR and Don S

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I didn't watch the end credits all the way through Episode 1, but I am pretty sure there were no product sponsorship credits for Amazon Alexa, Google Home or Tesla... :whistle:

Reactions: Don S

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Fairly boring so far and visually bland. Roger from Mad Men, ranting through most of it, became tiresome to listen to. He needs a better show for his talents. He was great as Roger.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Manny Coto from Star Trek Enterprise and 24 is the showrunner, and John Billingsley gets offed in the first episode ??? They killed
Doctor Phlox! Bastards.

Really, I was expecting something edgier and better than this, which had a definite aura of "we've seen this all before."

It actually looked to me like the female FBI character was shoehorned into the script to give the show a wider (as in "more females") audience. So it looks like Slattery's character is the main hero running around trying to convince the world that the AI threat is "for real," all while he arrives at various IT locations just in time to stop the unseen electronic enemy . Kinda reminds me of the late '60's sci-fi series The Invaders.

This IS on FOX after all, so give it 6 weeks before they pull the plug. Maybe their AI will automatically cancel it for them.

I would like to thank my Amazon Alexa for suggesting that I should just read a book instead of watching this every week.

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Fox aired its new sci-fi drama Next (0.3, 1.77M), which finally got its premiere after being held over from last season. Its debut fell below the premieres of the network’s L.A.’s Finest as well as Filthy Rich two weeks ago. Delayed and multiplatform viewing will be crucial to the show’s long-term prospects.

·
Registered
27,438 Posts
So your saying we should settle in for at least 5 years of this? :)
I want to watch it. I want to like it. But history indicates it will probably have a short shelf life. The one exception to the rule has been 'Fringe'. There may have been others that lasted beyond a season but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I want to watch it. I want to like it. But history indicates it will probably have a short shelf life. The one exception to the rule has been 'Fringe'. There may have been others that lasted beyond a season but I can't think of them off the top of my head.
You are not wrong.

FIREFLY, ALMOST HUMAN, TERMINATOR: THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES, TERRA NOVA, MINORITY REPORT, APB, DOLLHOUSE, DARK ANGEL and SECOND CHANCE.

Props to FOX for taking a swing with these, but they are quick to pull the cord on the parachute on these type of shows. You just have to go in with a limited-series viewing mentality. If you get 13 episodes, consider it a WIN.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It's only ten episodes, so I suspect Fox will air them all despite the ratings.

It held my interest, so I'll continue with it.

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
FIREFLY, ALMOST HUMAN, TERMINATOR: THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES, TERRA NOVA, MINORITY REPORT, APB, DOLLHOUSE, DARK ANGEL and SECOND CHANCE.
One season: Firefly, Almost Human, Terra Nova, Minority Report, APB, Second Chance
Two seasons: Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Dollhouse, Dark Angel

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
I enjoyed the first episode. But, unfortunately the bit with the router and its WiFi went overboard. 1) The WiFi is for having devices connect to it. It can't connect to other WiFi transmitters. 2) Even if the AI could "trick" the WiFi into doing so, its range would be crippled because of where it was placed: the shielding and the distance. Because the room was supposed to be very secure, no way would they allow WiFi to exist in the area. Oops. Every show has these idiot mistakes in order to advance the storyline.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
One season: Firefly, Almost Human, Terra Nova, Minority Report, APB, Second Chance
Two seasons: Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Dollhouse, Dark Angel
Yep. I think all those FOX executives must work for NETFLIX now.

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
I have a nice piece of Terra Nova swag: A backpack. It is directly from a Fox executive, but not one who made programming decisions, he was in marketing/sales.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts