AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know when the next generation cable cards will be out? I have two older Sharp LCD's with cable card slots and love them! I was bummed when 99% of the TV manufacturers decided to quit designing sets with the cable card slots. Who wants to deal with a cable box or direct tv receiver when you've got your LCD tv's hanging on the wall.

Another question, my older Sharps do not have a QAM tuner, if I were to buy a new LCD with the QAM tuner, will I be able to pick up HD and digital reception from my cable provider (Allegiance Communications) without their box (either digital or HD box)?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I didn't know cable cards were harder to find. I don't want a box in my kitchen! If I find one with a slot is it likely that the cable companies will stop supporting them?

(Any recommendations on a kitchen-sized TV (15-20?) with a slot?)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cable cards went away a couple years ago unfortunately. If you look at the new TV's now you won't find hardly any with cable card slots. There are a few exceptions, for instance Sharp introduced their new 57" LCD TV and it has a cable card slot, it's the only Sharp I believe that has it. BTW, don't be confused with some of these TV's that have an SD slot, that has nothing to do with a cable card.

Part of the reason they went away was the cable providers hated them cause they were like 7 different manufacturers to support, plus it was a one way communication. They couldn't sell you pay per view crap in other words. You also lost the TV guide most cable providers have, I could care less about either of those issues though.

It's my understanding a new cable card technology is in the works, where there will be two way communication, which will make the cable providers happy. Just curious when it will be out and when the TV manufacturers will start pumping out new panels with cable card slots again.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxdmax /forum/post/14331575

I didn't know cable cards were harder to find. I don't want a box in my kitchen! If I find one with a slot is it likely that the cable companies will stop supporting them?

(Any recommendations on a kitchen-sized TV (15-20?) with a slot?)

The cable companies are forced to support all the cable cards per FCC rules is my understanding.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Watch out for 'true2way', from what I have seen this is CableCard 2.0.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts