AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to devise a fairly "cheap" solution for hiding most of my HT components. Everything but the receiver will go into a closet (the receiver doesn't have OSD and I prefer to see what the volume setitng is at instead of trying to guess with my ears). So my question is this:


With the Next Generation Remote Control Extender (available at Amazon, etc) can I control the receiver with regular old IR coming from the remote even w/ the RF transmitter in it?


I understand the more expensive Harmony 890 allows you to pick and chose which components receive RF and which receive IR. I wasn't sure what something like the NGRCE would do in this case though.


Thanks,

Jeremy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskaz /forum/post/12856232


With the Next Generation Remote Control Extender (available at Amazon, etc) can I control the receiver with regular old IR coming from the remote even w/ the RF transmitter in it?

Yes. Both IR and RF are transmitted. IR from the remote itself and RF from the transmitter/battery combo that you place in the remote. If you're using a Harmony universal remote (other than a rechargeable one), you should be good to go. The extender does not work well with other universal remotes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent. Thank you.


Yea, I was considering the 880 but realized it uses a proprietary battery pack so... no go. Eyeing the 670 now.


Thanks again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,866 Posts
I have a Next Generation Remote entender that I am looking to sell. Will be happy to cut a deal for you. PM me if interested. I ended up buy one of the MX Remotes with a RF base instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSRC /forum/post/12857925


The extender does not work well with other universal remotes.

Hmm, I was under the impression that other than the HTM MX-xxx remotes, it worked well with most universal remotes (other than rechargeable ones).


In any event, I'm using it with the URC-8820 with no issues....works great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin /forum/post/12885783


Hmm, I was under the impression that other than the HTM MX-xxx remotes, it worked well with most universal remotes (other than rechargeable ones).


In any event, I'm using it with the URC-8820 with no issues....works great.

Some universals work, some don't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
I just found out about this Next Generation Extender; sounds too good to be true.


My question is, if you use the remote in the same room where the remote and the Next generation spaceship can both "see" the contolled device, won't the device pick up two signals and treat them as two separate commands? Such as volume up twice....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Goldman /forum/post/13048603


My question is, if you use the remote in the same room where the remote and the Next generation spaceship can both "see" the contolled device, won't the device pick up two signals and treat them as two separate commands? Such as volume up twice....

I've found that sometimes that's a problem, but not often. There is little to no delay in when the "spaceship" retransmits the IR signal, so the signal offset is nearly 0. Usually it just works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSRC /forum/post/12857925


The extender does not work well with other universal remotes.

Just as another data point, I'm using mine with a Harmony 550 with no problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles /forum/post/13119502


Is there a place other than Amazon.com that sells this? Amazon.com doesn't ship to Canada.
Parts Express carries it and they do ship to Canada...there may be others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Goldman /forum/post/13048603


I just found out about this Next Generation Extender; sounds too good to be true.


My question is, if you use the remote in the same room where the remote and the Next generation spaceship can both "see" the contolled device, won't the device pick up two signals and treat them as two separate commands? Such as volume up twice....

I own this nextgen remote extender and I had to put a tape on the ir from the remote because the ir signal for my remote got mixed up with the transmitter. you might not have this problem but with my sony de515 (amp) it did'nt work when I was pointing the receiver so I just block the IR on the remote and everything is fine now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles /forum/post/13119502


Is there a place other than Amazon.com that sells this? Amazon.com doesn't ship to Canada.

you can find it @ stereoplus, acces electronique (madison) and electromike in quebec city. maybe e-bay.ca.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
I too have the Next gen extender. I have it in a Harmony 659 and it works great. I have my DVD and DVR in a closet behind the TV and there are no problems controls any of the equipment. Great little gadget.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
I use the Next Gen RF extender with the Harmony 550....this is an amazing product. All my equipment is out of sight or hidden behind a cloth wall so I needed an RF solution. Bought one and it worked so well I bought another so I am running two of the pods with IR extender buttons.

Summit Source (Texas) delivered to Canada... fast and no problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
I'm in the same boat as the others in this thread - I have most equipment behind a closed cabinet door, and would like to control them without springing for an RF-capable remote.


I'm thinking about getting a Harmony remote and coupling it with the Next Generation Remote Control Extender. However, since the RCE replaces a battery in the remote, does that mean that rechargeable remotes are off limits? I was eyeing either a Harmony One or a Harmony 720 but it seems that I'll have to go with a non-rechargeable unit, such as the 550, instead?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Yes, until there's a Harmony One (or other higher end version) with RF capabilities, you'll need to use the 550 or one of the other non-rechargable ones with the RCE.


You could try the 890 or 1000 with RF extenders though.


Personally, i use the 550 with the RCE, and it works very well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I've got two of the NG extenders and they have been working great with my regular remotes. I just purchased the Harmony 520 and can't seem to get the extenders to work with it. Anybody out there have any tips on how to get it to work or experience that it just doesn't work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I had a question. I just purchased the following HT system components:


Panasonic PT-AX200U projector

Onkyo TX-SR606 7.1 Channel Receiver

PS3

LG DN798 DVD Player (Upconversion)

Nintendo Wii


The projector will be ceiling mounted, but the others will be placed in a closed off cabinet (technically, two end tables on the ends of the couch, but I still won't have line of sight). What would the best controller solution be? Should I spring for the Harmony 890 or would the 550 + NGE Remote extender be enough? Will all of the components be compatible with both solutions?
 
1 - 20 of 177 Posts
Top