AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the next, non-DLP step up from a Sony HS20 projector? I may end up with more in my budget than I originally anticipated, so I am thinking of getting a better projector with the money instead of my originally-planned HS20. I would prefer one with a 16:9 aspect ratio if possible, as well. What would you suggest for a new projector?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
IMO the HS20 is the best consumer 16:9 aspect ratio LCD projector available. If you wish to avoid DLP, then I think that you will have to move up to something like a JVC HX1. It will have comparable contrast and brightness, but a much smoother image due to its higher fill ratio. The HX1 also has slightly higher resolution. The Sony HS20 is much quieter and much less expensive. If it were me, I would purchase a HS20 and keep it until affordable 1920x1080 DILA/LCOS projectors with 2000:1+ on-off CR become available.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link, it is VERY helpful. Sorry for not putting room specs... I forgot :(! This is my planned room:

Completely light-controlled (I will have absolutely no ambient light).

Approximately 13-14ft wide.

Approximately 23-26ft long.

Speakers will be Onix Rockets all around (RS750 front and rear, UFW-10 subwoofer, RSS300 surrounds, and their RS200 center).

Wall color will be maroon.

Permanently wall-mounted screen 52"x92" 106" diagonal (type will depend on projector I get)

Devices to be hooked up: SD DirecTiVo, HD DirecTiVo (once it comes out), Xbox, Progressive Scan DVD player (waiting for one with a nice DVI port under $1k), Denon 3803/3805 receiver, possibly a HTPC for gaming.

The projector must have an HDMI/DVI port.

I will be watching SDTV, HDTV, and DVD's, and very little music. Most of my watching will be SDTV for the time being, and widescreen DVD's, with very little HDTV. I'm going to try to hook up as many things as possible directly to the projector for best image quality. I will be sitting 2-2.5x screen width back as far as my plans go.

If anyone needs more info about the room or anything else to help me out (not quite sure where favorite color fits in :)) please let me know and I'll reply back with it! Thanks again for the list, patrick!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott B
IMO the HS20 is the best consumer 16:9 aspect ratio LCD projector available. If you wish to avoid DLP, then I think that you will have to move up to something like a JVC HX1. It will have comparable contrast and brightness, but a much smoother image due to its higher fill ratio. The HX1 also has slightly higher resolution. The Sony HS20 is much quieter and much less expensive. If it were me, I would purchase a HS20 and keep it until affordable 1920x1080 DILA/LCOS projectors with 2000:1+ on-off CR become available.
Yeah, I was thinking of just buying the HS20 and waiting for later, higher resolution projectors. If I have to spend a ton more to get only a little more performance right now, I may as well just wait for better technologies to come along with higher resolution and better contrast ratios/blacks. Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Other than the HX1 (or SX21) that Scott already mentioned, the only other choice is a used CRT. There are a lot of more expensive LCDs, but they other than more lumens, they really don't have any better PQ than an HS20 (and in some ways might be worse).

Going to the cheaper AE500 or Z2 is probably the best bang for the buck if you're playing the waiting game.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Quote:
If it were me, I would purchase a HS20 and keep it until affordable 1920x1080 DILA/LCOS projectors with 2000:1+ on-off CR become available.

I agree with Scott. You've got a great projector already. I'd enjoy it for the next three years and then see what's on the market.

~Dominic

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Does anyone have a link to any professional review on the HS20?

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Quote:
yes yes yes!

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
maxmonty,

The Cinema 500 does sound nice, especially if the specs turn out to be realistic. The Cinema 500 will, however, have more screen door. The lens shift is a handy feature but does rob projectors of ANSI contrast due to the necessary additional glass elements (prism). Faroudja deinterlacing is nice, but so is the deinterlacer in the HS20.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
GoldenTiger,

Have you had a chance to audition any projectors?

I've had my HS-20 for nearly 3 months and so far am happy with the price/performance ratio.

If you are mounting your screen on the shorter wall, the throw of the HS-20 will allow you to ceiling mount it farther back from the seating area.

Not knowing the intended use and layout of your room, this may or may not be an advantage.

Since you said you want to connect as many inputs as possible directly to the pj, the HS-20 has 3 high quality inputs, component, DVI & HDMI.

This alone makes the HS-20 a good bet for longevity. Although in checking the Epson, it has 2 component and 1 HDMI so this may be a wash.

(Why do manufacturers continue to include composite connectors on any gear?)

How long do you want to wait before purchasing? The Epson is available now in Asia but it's going to take time for professional and user feedback to get published along with the inevitable "bugs" either minor or major to become known. If you can wait a couple months, it may be worth it to see how the Epson pans out.

BTW, I agree with Scott. I bought the Sony as reasonable first pj, hoping it will suffice until a 1920 x 1080 "whatever" solution is affordable and has enough hardware and software to support it.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
The Cinema 500 is slightly lower in resolution, but more importantly, it lacks MLA. I recall seeing the fill factors for Epson's 1280x720 Dream 4 panels as well as Sony's 1365x768 MLA panels, and if memory serves me (and it has been suspect as of late), Sony's panels have a higher fill factor. The obtrusiveness of screendoor is very subjective and depends to a great degree on the viewers vision. I still have a Sanyo PLV-60. When I first got this projector, I was not distracted by screendoor. Over time, however, I learned to notice it and now it is all I see. BTW, I did test the Sony HS20 in my HT and it had MUCH less screendoor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.