AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Currently in the process of setting up live TV with my HTPC. Tried multiple antenna solutions with no luck (stupid mountain blocking my signals), so now moving toward the cable/m-card/ceton solution.

I have the Ceton InfiniTV 4 installed, but confused on next steps. By the way, live in the Atlanta area and currently have Comcast internet.

1. Are ClearQAM channels available in this area? I don't have any cable services and tried hooking up my TV to the cable outlet, but it didn't recognize any channels. I'm assuming the answer is no and I need to subscribe to a basic service through Comcast?

2. If I can't get ClearQAM and have to subscribe to a cable service, what subscription service do I need to get local channels in HD? Will the basic cable package that costs ~$16 provide HD content (channels 1-30) or do I need to subscribe to their basic "digital" package?

3. Will installing a free M-Card provide anything without subscribing to basic cable? Again, I'm assuming I have to subscribe to a Comcast service, then get the m-card in order to receive TV content, but wasn't 100% sure.

Thanks all…just a little confused with all this, so any and all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
You need to activate with your provider and get a CableCARD. IDK about free. With Charter it's $2/mo. The locals are rebroadcast in whatever format they're in.. HD, Digtal, etc.. on Charter. Contact your provider for specific information.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Sammy. To clarify what you mean by "activate"...are you saying I can call Comcast, get an m-card, install in Ceton, pair (activate) the devices and I'll have access to local channels without having to subscribe to a service?

Or do you mean I have to "activate" a subscription + get the m-card?

·
Registered
15,200 Posts
Basic cable is all you need for clear QAM local HD stations. Go HERE to see what's available in your area. For clear QAM, the Ceton and a cable card is major overkill. With just basic cable, a cable card buys you absolutely nothing. All you need is a cheap Hauppauge and no cable card. If you ever plan to go beyond basic cable, then the Ceton makes sense, but you definitely don't need one now. I suppose the 4 tuners will come in handy, but with basic cable, I doubt you'll be recording 4 things at once very often.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
No, you have to subscribe to basic cable.

I don't know if the Ceton InfinTV4 does ClearQAM or not but why pay $200 for it if you are after content that doesn't require a CableCARD because it isn't encrypted? A Hauppage 2250 will do this and give you two tuners without a CableCARD.

In either/any case you need a strong signal in order to scan and tune the channels. It is also possible that Comcast has a trap on your line to keep you from tuning anything without paying them for it.

·
Registered
15,200 Posts
When you sign up for basic cable, the cable guy will physically remove the trap, and you'll be able to tune in the channels. If the clear QAM channels don't work on your TV now, then they won't work on the Ceton (or any other tuner device) either, with or without a card.

FWIW, I put a downtown Atlanta zip into the site linked above, and it shows 40-50 clear QAM channels on Comcast.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1418979/next-steps-for-setting-up-tv-using-ceton-infinitv#post_22195303

When you sign up for basic cable, the cable guy will physically remove the trap, and you'll be able to tune in the channels. If the clear QAM channels don't work on your TV now, then they won't work on the Ceton (or any other tuner device) either, with or without a card.

FWIW, I put a downtown Atlanta zip into the site linked above, and it shows 40-50 clear QAM channels on Comcast.

That's what partially confused me. I did the same, and thought all those channels would be available with a 2250 tuner, but that wasn't the case. The 2250 couldn't get any channels, so I sold that and bought the Ceton believing a "subscription" to some sort of cable package was my only option.

So it seems Comcast may have a trap and the only option is to subscribe to basic cable. That works.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Yup. Even the locals. The lines do need to be maintained you know. If you don't want to chip in to help maintain them go plant an antenna somewhere nice and high to get the free OTA signal.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
As others have said, connecting your cable TV wire to a tuner when you only have internet service is considered Theft of Service, and most cases you wouldn't get anything anyway due to filters. You need to subscribe to a service.

·
Registered
15,200 Posts
Let's not be too hard on the OP. From his tone, seems like he's willing to pay for cable. He just though a Ceton would pull in at least clear QAM for free. Since OTA is free, seems reasonable to be confused about that.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1418979/next-steps-for-setting-up-tv-using-ceton-infinitv#post_22195916

Let's not be too hard on the OP. From his tone, seems like he's willing to pay for cable. He just though a Ceton would pull in at least clear QAM for free. Since OTA is free, seems reasonable to be confused about that.

This! I'm in no way saying I should get "free" "cable". I just didn't fully understand all the options and wanted to make sure I grasped the nuances before calling and dealing with Comcast customer service. I've come across too many threads where people say, "Hey, just installed my AverMedia Duet 2250 and I get a ton of HD channels for free."

Just confusion + ignorance...nothing more.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
If all you want the ClearQAM channels, then you don't need Ceton nor the CableCard, and simple $20 USB dongle tuner like Magyca from Meritline will work. I have 4 of them, and they work just fine with FiOS.

But, like others said, your provider has prbably blocked all of the TV signal, since you are not paying for TV service.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1418979/next-steps-for-setting-up-tv-using-ceton-infinitv#post_22195916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erighan  /t/1418979/next-steps-for-setting-up-tv-using-ceton-infinitv#post_22196064

This! I'm in no way saying I should get "free" "cable". I just didn't fully understand all the options and wanted to make sure I grasped the nuances before calling and dealing with Comcast customer service. I've come across too many threads where people say, "Hey, just installed my AverMedia Duet 2250 and I get a ton of HD channels for free."

Just confusion + ignorance...nothing more.

+1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts