AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Might be the year Phil buys a DVD player.

I would expect to see product announcements at CES and in stores by this time next year.

While the chip will scale the output, that does not mean you will see a DVD player with that feature. A - WG4 might not allow it and B - Faroudja might not allow it.

---

First Public Showing of Highly Integrated FLI2300 IC Featuring Faroudja Emmy Award-Winning Video Processing Technology

Genesis Microchip Inc. (Nasdaq:GNSS), a global leader in imaging and digital video/graphics processing technologies, today conducted the first public demonstration of its new single-chip Digital Video Format Converter, the FLI2300, at the Society For Information Display (SID) show. The highly integrated FLI2300 incorporates Faroudja's Emmy award-winning video processing technology to produce the highest quality upconverted video output from a variety of interlaced video inputs. Targeted at digital television, high definition television and DVD player applications, the FLI2300 digital video format converter provides manufacturers with unmatched video quality and maximum design flexibility with reduced system costs.

"We're bullish about the window of opportunity for the FLI2300 based on consumer electronics market data in combination with input from our customers," said Anders Frisk, Genesis senior vice president of marketing. "With its unrivaled picture quality, the FLI2300 is a natural fit with the Genesis product portfolio. The FLI2300 delivers the ideal combination of high quality performance and price."

According to leading market research group iSuppli-Stanford Resources, the consumer electronics market represents a significant opportunity for Genesis display processors. "Driven in large part by advanced image processing technology, the worldwide shipment of television sets with progressive-scan and HDTV capability will grow rapidly from 3.4 million units in 2002 to 15.9 million in 2006," said Dave Mentley, senior vice president for iSuppli-Stanford Resources. "Companies like Genesis that can support high quality upconverted video output from interlaced video inputs will also benefit from the growth in the DVD player market," added Jay Srivatsa, principal analyst for iSupply-Stanford Resources. "The worldwide DVD player market is forecasted to grow from 43 million units in 2002 up to 125 million units by 2006."

The FLI2300 is a single-chip digital video format converter that incorporates Faroudja's Emmy award-winning deinterlacing and video enhancement technologies coupled with highly flexible scaling and aspect ratio conversion to convert standard interlaced video signals into high-definition compatible signals. Features of the FLI2300 include proprietary Directional Correlational Deinterlacing (DCDi(TM)). The DCDi algorithm produces smooth and natural images by eliminating the jagged edges seen on moving angled lines in video.

Other advanced performance capabilities include:

-- Film mode for proper handling of 3:2 and 2:2 pulldown, as well as bad edit detection/correction (technologies invented and patented by Faroudja).

-- Motion adaptive algorithms that select optimal filtering on a per-pixel basis to produce maximum resolution and suppress motion artifacts.

-- Patented non-linear enhancement algorithms to enhance the small details and large edges of an image to create the clearest picture without introducing artifacts.

-- Flexible horizontal and vertical scalers to perform aspect ratio conversion and to upconvert an image to resolutions up to 1080p or SXGA.

-- Input resolutions of 480i (NTSC), 576i (PAL/SECAM), 480p, 720p, 1080i and VGA to SXGA.

-- Output resolutions of 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and VGA to SXGA.

The FLI2301 is a variant of the FLI2300 that includes an integrated Macrovision(TM) copy-protection generator for use in progressive-scan DVD players. The FLI2310 is a variant of the FLI2300 that supports digital outputs only.

Available in a 208-pin PQFP package and priced at $20.00 each in high volume, the FLI2300 is sampling in September and will be available in volume quantities in November 2002.

The Society for Information Display is an international society devoted to the advancement of display technology, manufacturing and applications. The SID 2002 exhibition runs May 21st - 23rd at the Hynes Convention Center in Boston, Mass. Genesis Microchip is demonstrating the FLI2300 and its industry-leading LCD monitor controllers in booths #2223 and #2225.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Stacey,

I think Phil is going to sit along the sidelines every year waiting for that elusive "perfect player", that will never exist in the real world ;)

Regards,

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Great News! Thanks Stacey!

Maybe Tom Strade can hook one of these up with an SDI input for

I really want that 720p output!

(Of course I've already publicly stated that I'll buy any DVD player Phil likes sight-unseen :))

Ken

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ken, Faroudja will most likely not allow that.

BTW, I don't think Phil has ever seen a DVD player otherwise he would throw away his entire tape collection and we know he still loves his VHS. :)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Not so guys, I'm going to finally take everyone's advice and get an "inexpensive, compromise, good-enough mentality, oh who cares, what's the big deal, get by for awhile, never mind decent zooming, lousy remote, occasional lock up, low bit-count video DAC, low-conversion-bandwidth video DAC " DVD player very soon.

I will settle for the Denon 1600 or Panasonic RP82 - depending upon "just a few reports" on how the RP82 performs in late July.

(I actually now have a ridiculously long list of films I wish to add to my private collection and am refusing to buy in VHS, even though my VHS setup is very passable.)

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Phil, I would not get caught up in the MHz + bit stuff. I have a 11-bit / 54 MHz player that has lower video noise, cleaner freq response, and a better picture than another player with 12-bit / 108 MHz dacs. This is both objective and subjective testing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey Phil,

Not only does DVD (even with the cheap players) have incredible picture quality over VHS, but one other thing, and that is SUPERIOR SOUND QUALITY. 5.1 surround sound, whether it be Dolby Digital or DTS, is breathtaking when combined with a quality receiver/amp and great speakers.

Forget about the great picture quality you can get with DVD, 5.1 surround sound is what made want to junk VHS a long time ago. You can't tell me that VHS sound is comparable to DVD sound either. If you have a newer receiver that has adjustable Dolby Pro Logic II, it is a great improvement, but to me nothing compares with 5.1 surround sound.

DVD has the best of both worlds, great picture and great sound.

--Randy Schissler

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Randy,

How does this proudct sheet look to you:

http://www.nbtelectronics.com/images/RP82.jpg

(I'm an amateur videophile and even worse audiophile, so I'm especially bad at guessing from a product sheet whether or not a player is going to contain the right audio flexibility.)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pnichols
I'm going to finally take everyone's advice and get an "inexpensive, compromise, good-enough mentality, oh who cares, what's the big deal, get by for awhile, never mind decent zooming, lousy remote, occasional lock up, low bit-count video DAC, low-conversion-bandwidth video DAC " DVD player very soon.
Hey pnichols, for the fun of it, you should try to spend as absolutely little as possible, just to see how "low" you can go.... I'm talking

Good luck! :)

Peace.....

·
Registered
156 Posts
It seems good to me, except I'm into the all black look. The variable zoom is interesting, I wonder what that means. Of course for Dolby Digital and DTS audio, you need to connect it to a 5.1 capable receiver, which is connected to five speakers and a subwoofer.

--Randy Schissler

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
tomdkat,

Well..........I don't want to go quite that low. I want to spend at least as much as it costs each time I take our dog to the vet so that the dog will sit and watch DVD's with me.

Pany decoder and Faroudja or DVDO deinterlacer are a must. Switched component connectors between progressive/interlaced via the remote control or on the front of player is also a must. With or without DVD-A is OK. No edge enhancement is a must. No image softness is a must. Black color is a must. Player weighing more than it's power cord is a must. Coax out for the 5.1 is a must. RF remote instead of IR remote would be good.

See............all simple stuff, but you would think I was asking for the moon when you go to search for this combination!

Digital tap zooms and - gobbs of filters/gamma/center channel raise/volume level compression/etc. adjustments are bonus stuff.

Note that from the RP82's product sheet it APPEARS to provide most of the above, other than knowing about it's enhancement or softness yet!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Another Pany upcoming progressive DVD/DVD-A player this summer is the DVD-XP50. The MSRP is about $120 more than the DVD-RP82, so it may offer more features or performance than the RP82.

Do any of you know more about the XP50?

·
Registered
99 Posts
pnichols,

That is exactly the type of player I have been waiting for as well. Until then I will keep using my old Panny A310 interlaced player. I haven't had any issues with it doing weird things and it looks fine enough to me. But boy, am I getting antsy.

Haven't heard of the XP50.

Thanks,

-Pat

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Pat,

I understand the A310 had pretty good built quality? What did those cost when new?

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
From ZDNet...
Quote:
Panasonic is releasing a number of slim-profile DVD players, among them the DVD-XP30 and DVD-XP50. Sleek-looking and only 1.7 inches in height, these models have a gleaming metallic exterior, a number of handy features, and reasonable price points. Both units also offer progressive-scan output, but the XP50 will play DVD-Audio and DVD-RAM discs. Both models, along with all Panasonic DVD players from this point forward, support everything from DVD-Video and DVD-R discs to CD, CD-R, and CD-RW, in addition to MP3 and Windows Media Audio. The XP30 will arrive in June with a $349 price tag, while the $399 XP50 will be ready for August.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Brajesh,

Thanks a lot ....... that's a start!

I have sent out three email's to Panasonic and distributors asking about any info they can provide regarding the differences between the RP82 and XP50. It's my impression that both are of the low profile design and use Faroudja, but I'm really curious as to why the XP50 will have an MSRP so much more than the RP82?

·
Registered
653 Posts
I know I'm jumping into this discussion/debate at the tail end, and if there are other related Threads that add more context/info that I've missed, I hope you cut me some slack, but, why is there no mention of the Philips DVD players as a top contender? Say the current Q50 with latest firmware, or the recently released DVD-962SA which some argue are the best out there in their respective price points??

Note I still have a Pany A310, but I'm itchin' to get a new progressive unit in the near future - I can't wait until next year.......

Cheers,

dagger

·
Registered
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sspears
Ken, Faroudja will most likely not allow that.
What WILL they allow?

What is the point of announcing a chip that no one can use?

I understand that with the 2200, third party integraters were disallowed from adding a scaler, now they've got a chip with a scaler built-in.

Will this reduce the price of upcomming deinterlacers/scalers from Faroudja?

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jeff,

WG4 controls DVD. At this point in time, you can't output >480p. So, you can't use that feature anyway. Second, Faroudja does not wish to compete against themselves. So, you can't build an outboard scaler using their chip.

Aspect ratio control will be the big benefit for those who own TVs that don't properly behave. (ie lock into full mode.)

Lets say you make an HD STB, you can then use the chip to scale OTA and DSS channels. IT probably will not take input though.

Dagger, this thread is not who builds the best players but rather look, a new chip is coming to town.

Faroudja will continue to use FPGA in their $$$ boxes. This will allow them to write new algorithms without making new silicon. They will continue to charge what the market will pay. If they can offer something no one else has, they will get more money.

I would not expect it to reduce the price.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Stacey,

Since you had to say it, I have to say this (haha):

- You said "Aspect ratio control will be the big benefit for those who own TVs that don't properly behave. (ie lock into full mode.)"

- I say "Aspect ratio control will be the big benefit for those who own TV's in which the designers planned that - since for arriving images with formats in excess of 480i they had no way of knowing what the format would be - any required image reformatting should be dealt with prior to arrival of the images at the TV."

How's that for an early-Pioneer-model-face-saving mouthful?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.