AVS Forum banner
581 - 600 of 1609 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I want to thank Nextcom for adopting the new paradigm of restarting the remuxer within the context of a single file write in R5000-HD v1.6.

Previous versions stopped and restarted writing one or more new files making it difficult to archive an entire no-repeated program. And, if watching in a time-shift manner using MyHD, or otherwise, you would have to stop and find and start the next file in sequence.

With v1.6 I can now review the log and remuxer log to determine which recordings best need to be re-recorded based on remuxer restarts and lost data (much easier/better than recording a D-VHS and auditing it for glitches in a linear real-time fashion).

Also, with v.16, I am now able to watch a live/time shift non-archive program like HBO's Carnivale with MyHD, even if it has a glitch or two should a remuxer restart occur.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by MF70
I saw a modified Hughes receiver for sale on eBay. I wonder why someone would be selling this product after only a few months? Does that person know something we don't?

It may be because DirecTV will change to MPEG4 for HDTV and the receiver will no longer be able to receive DirecTV HD programming when that happens. My best guess is that is about 2 years away but the timing is uncertain.

Chris

·
Registered
953 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by mkerdman

I want to thank Nextcom for adopting the new paradigm of restarting the remuxer within the context of a single file write in R5000-HD v1.6.

I agree, and thank Nextcom, too. The robustness of the application works particularly well on E*, which seems to send out more than its share of corrupt data.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts

Quote:
I saw a modified Hughes receiver for sale on eBay. I wonder why someone would be selling this product after only a few months? Does that person know something we don't?

There have several threads discussing the decreased resolution of much of the current DirecTV HD programming. I personally wouldn't want to invest a lot of time or money archiving HD lite. I'm not sure how their content compares, but a Nextcom modified receiver and Expressvu subscription might be the best option.

·
Registered
654 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by RTK
There have several threads discussing the decreased resolution of much of the current DirecTV HD programming. I personally wouldn't want to invest a lot of time or money archiving HD lite. I'm not sure how their content compares, but a Nextcom modified receiver and Expressvu subscription might be the best option.

Probably so, but Expressvu is not available to us in the Province of California! Besides that, what HD channels are available on that Canadian service? I had Star Choice until June of 2003, and that service had only the US networks plus a few movies once in a while. And Star Choice uses the Motorola HD-200 decoder, for which a mod is already available from Nextcom.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts

Quote:
Probably so, but Expressvu is not available to us in the Province of California! Besides that, what HD channels are available on that Canadian service?

There are many people who pay for their subscription thru a broker, including individuals from the Province of California. I don't have any first hand experience but you might check out the HDTV programming forum. As far as HD channels, the ExpressVu website claims to have up to 25 channels

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have reformated my hard drive and reinstalled windows xp with service pack 2. Now I can't get it to detect the R5000 feom the USB port. Alll I get is HDTV Device instead of the old R5000 in my device directory. Did anyone have this problem and how do I solve it??? Without reinstalling windows

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I also have had the 'R5000' device change to 'HDTV' Device. In my case, I believe it happened sometime after my adding a combo 3.5" floppy/USB card reader which connects to internal USB headers on the motherboard. Unfortunately, I put the HTPC back in the AV rack without testing the R5000HD and I haven't had the time/inclination to pull the beast out of the rack to debug.

I was running service pack 2 before this with no problems. The USB card reader works fine, but the R5000HD is not seen by the application.

Did you have the R5000HD plugged in while installing XP? If so, that may be your problem. Some USB devices need to have the driver installed before plugging them in or really bad things can happen. I once ended up having to reformat a machine after I plugged in an Intel USB video camera (I didn't see the warning printed on the sheet of paper that fell from the packaging as I opened it).

I am also wondering if recent security updates of XP may have caused my problem.

Mark

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #589 ·
Version 1.7 beta of the of the R5000-HD DVR is now available for download. It is required for C-band receiver support and also fixes some problems reported on certain Bell channels (820,821,822). If problems persists while playing back using MyHD, it is recommended that you upgrade the MyHD driver to v1.63.4.

The PVR ver. 1.3 is also available as a beta. It is required to use the zap2it guide with 4DTV. Also adds the following:

Tuner selection for multi-device setups.

Unique path can be specified for each recording.

Resizable dialog and zap2it browser can be integrated in the PVR window.

"Add to playlist" option (for MyHD).

Maximum number of PVR entries increased to 255.

-R

·
Registered
575 Posts
Version 1.7 Beta

Nice additions to the PVR software.

I'll ask my periodic question - any prospect for the DirectX plug-in so can interface with programs like SageTV.

Thanks.

·
Registered
684 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Lam

All I get is HDTV Device instead of the old R5000 in my device directory. Did anyone have this problem and how do I solve it???

I recently had this problem. The solution (in my case):

Make sure that the receiver is outputting data over the USB connection!

ie. The receiver is tuned to an HD channel and is transmitting a picture.

I had my receiver disconnected from the dish. I figured that the communication protocol over the USB would still be functioning correctly even though no channel was tuned. I was getting the same "USB HDTV Device" message, and I could not install the driver.

When I connected the coax from the dish, I could install the Nextcom driver.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by GaryHDTV
If you are having the 'USB HDTV Device' problem, you may want to read this.

Gary,

Thanks for the link. It solved my problem. Here's what I did:

1. Unplug network connection (e.g Ethernet cable)
  2. Go to the Device manager and remove the "USB HDTV" device
  3. search for *.inf in the Windows directory for a file that contains "USBHDTV" (mine was oem20.inf)
  4. remove the file found above (oem20.inf in my case)
  5. remove usbhdtv.sys from C:\\windows\\system32\\drivers
  6. From the control panel, select "add hardware"
  7. The hardware wizard will find the nexcom generic usb device
  8. Choose "install from a specific location"
  9. Choose "don't search, I will choose the driver to install"
  10. Choose "Have disk" and browse to the R5000-hd\\drivers directory. [/list=1]

After the above steps you'll get the usual "nextcom" driver stuff to complete the driver install.

Load the R5000 DVR app and it will start the installation of the second driver:
    1. The hardware wizard will find the "nexcom HDTV DVR device"
    2. Choose "install from a specific location"
    3. Choose "don't search, I will choose the driver to install"
    4. Choose "Have disk" and browse to the R5000-hd\\drivers directory. [/list=1]

The DVR app will time out and fail while you are installing the second driver. Just restart the DVR app and everything should be fine from there. YMMV

Techtom

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I had just gotten home to try it and I also got it to work. The steps are EXACTLY as you listed. It looks like a conflict between the INF files for the Sasem OnAir USB HDTV box and the R5000-HD. I'm glad there is a solution, I've been running a 60 ft cable between my 920 and HDD200 so the HDD200 could connect to another computer USB that worked.

Cheers, Gary

·
Banned
455 Posts
Anyone who's connected their HTPC-HDPVR setup to DVHS successfully, please PM me or email me directly at hifipj at conentric.net. Thanks!

Pat M.

former HTPC Guru, SGHT

·
Registered
86 Posts
Guys, I need some help. I JUST got my R5000, the E86. Is there any way to watch what is going on from the USB input other than to RECORD everything? I don't have the MyHD card yet (it's on order and will HOPEFULLY be here tomorrow), so I'm stuck using VLC...but VLC won't open the stream directly from the USB port. VLC sees my ATI all in wonder and HDTV wonder as stream cards, and will capture the stream from either of them. However, it doesn't see the E86.

Recording works great, when I hit the record button on the R5000 control panel (inside windows), the quality is amazing, it's everything I hoped it would be. It kinda sucks not being able to watch "live" tv though. Maybe this will change when I get the MyHD card...HOPEFULLY!

So does anyone else use VLC (or any other app) for watching the stream coming in over the USB port WITHOUT hitting the record button?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-baron

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's awesome. This is going to really work out. I was a bit apprehensive and somewhat skeptical about this system, I have never captured video over USB before, only firewire. The picture quality is absolutely PERFECT. Now being able to watch it live without recording everything will make this worth every penny.

Do you know if there's a tutorial on how to set up the MyHD w/the R5000? Or will the MyHD "just work" and pick up the video stream automatically?

581 - 600 of 1609 Posts