AVS Forum banner
641 - 660 of 1609 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by latreche34
I don't see any diffrence between 169time and Nextcom R5000-HD except it's cheaper with AVX-1 (169time) with do it your self $399 and uses a similar box AVX-1 instead of Nextcom R5000-HD and I see using firewire for recording is more faster than USB, So the result : 169time is cheaper and better.

While I am sure that both systems meet different people's needs, I can say for me that the R5000 is a better option. Only the receiver is modded, it records directly to PC instead of tape, and the recordings are are perfect. For me making perfect recordings directly to the PC is a much better option than tape, especially with the continuing price drop of hard drives. No AVX1 type device in the loop at all. But each to his own....

·
Registered
562 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by dj7675
While I am sure that both systems meet different people's needs, I can say for me that the R5000 is a better option. Only the receiver is modded, it records directly to PC instead of tape, and the recordings are are perfect. For me making perfect recordings directly to the PC is a much better option than tape, especially with the continuing price drop of hard drives. No AVX1 type device in the loop at all. But each to his own....

Well, The AVX-1 too record directly to the hard drive as well as R5000 and both require a software to do it, Except if you are using DVHS deck with AVX-1 you don't need any software for recording.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I just went and took a look at recording to hard drive with 169time. It does not appear to be simple as just clicking recording, or scheduling a recordig with the PVR app on the R5000. Not saying it isn't possible, but nothing like recording to a hard drive like the R5000. From 169time...

"Deploying a system that combines a user built AVX1 with a second PC for hard drive recording and playback is a complex task with potential pitfalls. It is strongly suggested that a JVC DVHS deck be available for debug, debug playback, and other testing. "

I still believe that those that want direct recording to tape should go with the 169time unit and those that want to record to pc/drive would probably be happier with the R5000. Their are definately happy campers in both groups.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Guys, I'm having a bit of a problem. I bought a new mobo (abit nf8) for my peecee (I'm using the same hard drives, same cpu, faster RAM), the problem is that a capture works fine for a few seconds, then it just STOPS...the little performance meter goes from excellent to PUSHING IT and then the capture fails. I don't have any problems transferring files onto the drives from other drives. This happens no matter which drive I try to capture to. I tried turning off ide prefetching in the BIOS, that didn't help. I tried every USB port (all are 2.0 ports) on the box...all 6, and they all do the same thing. I just CANNOT figure out what the problem is. I even tried reinstalling both the R5000 and the mobo drivers, NOTHING helps. Anyone got any ideas? I'm using the same OS from the same drive I was using in my old peecee, everything else works perfectly...everything except the R5000. I don't think it's a problem w/the R5000 because it was also working fine before I switched motherboards.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-baron

·
Registered
562 Posts
To : dj7675T

For this you got me, But the only inconvinient for R5000-HD is the single output file. you have no choice to split files from the same recording to fit them in DVD-R's, I will go by Nextcom if they update their system to include this option, I'm not saying that 169time has it, I'm just having some time to make a decision.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I did a lot of research on both systems and ended up buying the R5000. I have both a PC and a mac, so TECHNICALLY, firewire would have been much easier for me, as well as more convenient...however, that AVX1 is an additional piece of hardware. In my opinion, that's just something else to break or cause additional problems. I like things simple, the R5000 is just that...simple. It's simple and it WORKS. 'Nuff said.

·
Registered
970 Posts

Quote:

For this you got me, But the only inconvinient for R5000-HD is the single output file. you have no choice to split files from the same recording to fit them in DVD-R's, I will go by Nextcom if they update their system to include this option, I'm not saying that 169time has it, I'm just having some time to make a decision.

You might email Nextcom directly about that option. It might not be too difficult for them to implement. I am no expert, but I have seen several posts on tools to split the TS files. I think it was HDTV2Mpeg? Someone else I am sure will chime in if that isn't correct or for all of the options. I only have great things to say about Nextcom. They got my unit turned around to me in a day, have answered numerous questions without delay, and have provided a product that really works well. Best purchase I have made in a long time...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah, HDTV2MPEG will take the .ts files made by the R5000 and spit them out in any size that you want. It's also a very fast application.

·
Registered
970 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by baron_iv
Guys, I'm having a bit of a problem. I bought a new mobo (abit nf8) for my peecee (I'm using the same hard drives, same cpu, faster RAM), the problem is that a capture works fine for a few seconds, then it just STOPS...the little performance meter goes from excellent to PUSHING IT and then the capture fails. I don't have any problems transferring files onto the drives from other drives. This happens no matter which drive I try to capture to. I tried turning off ide prefetching in the BIOS, that didn't help. I tried every USB port (all are 2.0 ports) on the box...all 6, and they all do the same thing. I just CANNOT figure out what the problem is. I even tried reinstalling both the R5000 and the mobo drivers, NOTHING helps. Anyone got any ideas? I'm using the same OS from the same drive I was using in my old peecee, everything else works perfectly...everything except the R5000. I don't think it's a problem w/the R5000 because it was also working fine before I switched motherboards.

-baron

No expert here, but I remember reading about a few USB problems with certain manufacturer's...can't recall which ones. If you have a USB 2.0 card around I would definately start there. Or troubleshoot it with Nextcom. They are very helpful.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have installed the R5000 software on a number of PC's with different motherboards and with different USB 2.0 cards. I have found the best reliability to be with USB 2.0 cards using an NEC or ALi chipset. On-board USB 2.0 ports and USB 2.0 cards with VIA chipsets have been problematic for me. YMMV.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by baron_iv

-baron

Baron,

Your USB ports are in 1.0 mode. There is a bug that causes WindowsXP to use the wrong driver with VIA chipsets so the 2.0 mode never gets enabled. I believe the only way to solve the problem is to buy a $12 PCI USB card based on the NEC chip set, Sorry.

Check out the following two posts:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...73#post4976973

and

http://forums.viaarena.com/messagevi...&enterthread=y

-Techtom

·
Registered
82 Posts

Quote:

For this you got me, But the only inconvenient for R5000-HD is the single output file. you have no choice to split files from the same recording to fit them in DVD-R's, I will go by Nextcom if they update their system to include this option, I'm not saying that 169time has it, I'm just having some time to make a decision.

For me it's not an issue. I usually start the recordings early and then run them a little long. It's especially useful with HDnet Movies, as the start/stop times are usually wrong (sometimes the movie too). After the recording is finished, I use HDTV2Mpeg2 to edit out the stuff I don't want and split it into 1490MB files(3 per dvd).

Heres a link to latest version(s) of HDTVtoMPEG2

http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~balazer/H...EG2/index.html

Where the R5000-HD wins big is in scheduling multiple unattended events. There are times when I'm gone for more than a week, so I just buy a 250GB hard drive for $70 (after rebate) and I can easily record +10 movies while I'm gone. If I use compressed mode, then it's more like +20 movies.

TW

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I personally would like to see the file split option in the R5000 recording app itself. Not all my drives are NTFS and the feature would come in handy when using other third party software.

I have been told by Nextcom that they currently do not plan on enabling this feature, which I find disappointing since the program setup screen teases you with it. Maybe the non-functional parts should be removed from the program and the descriptions in the on-line user manual should be removed.

Gary

·
Registered
3,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by thurstonw
Where the R5000-HD wins big is in scheduling multiple unattended events. There are times when I'm gone for more than a week, so I just buy a 250GB hard drive for $70 (after rebate) and I can easily record +10 movies while I'm gone. If I use compressed mode, then it's more like +20 movies.

TW

Is anybody sucessfully recording AND playing back R5000-HD files from compressed NTFS external USB drives- i.e. +/- doubling their storage per GB?

Seperately, is anybody playing back R5000-HD files from compressed NTFS external USB drives across an ethernet 100MB network?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. I went and bought a new USB2 card. I managed to get it working, but ONLY in the 23.xxx mb/s mode. When I use the "constant" 19.xxx mb/s mode, it errors out after a few seconds. This is EXTREMELY weird, a HIGHER bandwidth stream works, but the lower bandwidth stream DOESN'T. If usb wasn't working correctly, that doesn't seem like a likely solution.

Very Very strange.

I do know that MyHD plays the 23.xxx mb/s files, so is there any problem in using that setting (other than it eats up more hard drive space)?? Using 23, it's sitting about halfway between "excellent" and "pushing it". using the 19 setting, it was lower on average, but it would suddenly jump all the way up to "pushing it" and then the recording would become "stuck"...the timer would stop, as would everything else on the software. Any ideas now what could be causing this mess?

Also, has anyone tried this software with winxp 64-bit? I am thinking of installing it now that all my graphics cards and mobo have driver support. Things certainly couldn't get any WORSE!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well, just as suddenly as it STOPPED working, it STARTED working again (at least for the time being). I upgraded to Winblows xp SP2 and .Net 1.1beta something-or-other, restarted and I haven't had a problem since. I am still using the USB2 PCI card, I'm afraid to try putting it back on the mobo USB2 connector(s). I am glad it is working, but it is gonna bug the crap out of me NOT knowing what was causing the problem. I didn't change anything except for those two pieces of software (and a few, probably insignificant, security updates). I guess if this happens to anyone else, they'll know to try installing the latest .Net framework and SP2.

R5000-HD (the person, not the box), does your software require the .Net framework? If not, that could limit the fix down to SP2 and a few other insignificant things.

Thanks again for all your help guys. Hopefully it will continue to work perfectly as it did before the motherboard switch and as it does now.

This is a great, and VERY useful product. If there is anyone who is second-guessing the device, or isn't sure it's worth the money, or has reservations about how easy it is to operate, I can assure you that it is worth every penny. This is the greatest thing since TiVo! IMHO, this is BETTER than TiVo because TiVo is playing along w/the MPAA and their cohorts, trying to keep us from making legitimate copies of things that we PAY FOR. The R5000 may not have all of the features of a TiVo yet, but this product does EXACTLY what it says it will do and I am confident that the product will only get better with future software enhancements. (and NO, I am not paid by the company to endorse their product...however, if they want to send me a free box, I'd be more than happy to promote the hell out of this thing on every satellite/cable/HDTV forum I come across. hehe)

Oh well, there's always wishful thinking.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by mkerdman
Is anybody successfully recording AND playing back R5000-HD files from compressed NTFS external USB drives- i.e. +/- doubling their storage per GB?

Seperately, is anybody playing back R5000-HD files from compressed NTFS external USB drives across an ethernet 100MB network?

I was very disappointed with compressed folders/drives under NTFS. according to TSReader my HBO recordings have 35-40% null packets. Saving the file in a compressed folder only reduces the size by 10%. If I compress the files using winzip, it drops in size by 35%-40% as expected. So I just compress the files I want to archive long term.

Sorry.

TW

·
Registered
3,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by thurstonw
I was very disappointed with compressed folders/drives under NTFS. according to TSReader my HBO recordings have 35-40% null packets. Saving the file in a compressed folder only reduces the size by 10%. If I compress the files using winzip, it drops in size by 35%-40% as expected. So I just compress the files I want to archive long term.

Sorry.

TW

Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Will I be able to watch via the Component cables while the unit is recording on the USB?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by PeterS
Will I be able to watch via the Component cables while the unit is recording on the USB?

Thanks

Audio and video outputs are unaffected while recording.

641 - 660 of 1609 Posts