AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find a simple, cheap solution to get my home theater remote set-up complete. I bought a Harmony 650 a while back, finished up the programming for all my activities, but of course ran into the issue of it controlling everything (two receivers, player, projector, and lights), with one button being pushed. The lights wouldn't get the signal usually, sometimes the projector.

I have been reading some different threads and doing some searches for a solution on here. Came to the conclusion RF was the way I needed to go.

I ran across some posts about the NextGen remote control extender and was wondering if it would work in my situation.

I've attached a really awesome MSPaint drawing of my room layout. The projector is overhead, the equipment rack in the back corner of the room, and the lutron switches on the back wall. I'd like to place the spaceship on top of the equipment rack. Hopefully, I can get enough line of sight to the projector and light switches. I can run some of the extender emmiters to the components on the rack, if need be.

Does this sound like a plausible solution? Anything else I should look into?

I'll hang up and listen.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel0312 /forum/post/19573054

Trying to find a simple, cheap solution to get my home theater remote set-up complete. I bought a Harmony 650 a while back, finished up the programming for all my activities, but of course ran into the issue of it controlling everything (two receivers, player, projector, and lights), with one button being pushed. The lights wouldn't get the signal usually, sometimes the projector.

I have been reading some different threads and doing some searches for a solution on here. Came to the conclusion RF was the way I needed to go.

I ran across some posts about the NextGen remote control extender and was wondering if it would work in my situation.

I've attached a really awesome MSPaint drawing of my room layout. The projector is overhead, the equipment rack in the back corner of the room, and the lutron switches on the back wall. I'd like to place the spaceship on top of the equipment rack. Hopefully, I can get enough line of sight to the projector and light switches. I can run some of the extender emmiters to the components on the rack, if need be.

Does this sound like a plausible solution? Anything else I should look into?

I'll hang up and listen.

I've been extremely satisfied with the NG remote extender with several different remotes but the general consensus (see the main Harmony 650 thread) is that it doesn't work with the Harmony 650....I've not tried it myself though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin /forum/post/19576295

I've been extremely satisfied with the NG remote extender with several different remotes but the general consensus (see the main Harmony 650 thread) is that it doesn't work with the Harmony 650....I've not tried it myself though.

Actually, now that I'm home to look at it, it's a 659. Not sure if that will make a difference.

Ignoring the remote however, as I can use the 659 upstairs for some other equipment that is all center stage, I can get a different remote for downstairs.

My main question is would the NG remote extender work in my situation?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel0312 /forum/post/19578028

Actually, now that I'm home to look at it, it's a 659. Not sure if that will make a difference.

Yes, it will make a difference. I've used the NG remote extender with the Harmony 670 (very similar to the 659) without issue. I can't guarantee it, of course, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. The 650 is a newer model with a totally different design that for some reason seems to be incompatible with the NG.

With that said, I think what it will come down to is placement of the spaceship/receiver. FWIW, my spaceship sits on the bottom shelf of a glass audio rack and is able to flash the components (2 DVRs, a Roku box and an A/V switcher) on the next two shelves above it without the use of emitter cables. I'm controlling these devices from my bedroom one floor above and it works flawlessly. For the record, I'm using a very inexpensive URC-8820n for this set-up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts