AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Yes it is possible to quietly cool an AMD based computer :D

My favorite though is still the Alpha PAL 8045 he also had in his test, but with a slow rotating fan. That's even more silent than the Nexus solution.

With a 12 dB fan, my 1,6 GHz Athlon XP runs below 60 degrees celcius.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Not to mention probably more available as well.

I was actually more interested in their power supply, which I read at a few site as being real quiet. (Silent PC Review made it their top choice for fanned PSs) It is a little pricey, tho. ($75)

Jason

·
Registered
139 Posts
if you want quiet power supplies look for Engelking. Yes, they are pricey as hell, but they come in many variations, even completely without a fan and half-height (where you should mount a passive cooler or a waterblock!!! on one of the surfaces to remove the heat). They seem quite low regarding their watt ratings, but believe me, these figures are strongly below what these babies are capable of. Generally you can multiply their figures 1,5 to 2,0 and you get the Enermax-rating :D

For silent computing nothing beats watercooling though. I managed to run my overclocked 1800+ with an overclocked GF3 on passive cooling and remained below 60°celsius while under full load (i.e. gaming, Morrowind). The loudest thing in my current setup are my harddrives, even the keyboard I´m typing on makes more noise than my pc. Just make sure to get a high-quality silent pump (I recommend Eheim, a 1046 is sufficient for CPU,GPU,Northbridge and a huge radiator).

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have an Athlon XP 1700+ Palomino. What are acceptable chip temps for this processor?

I found an chart that lists this processor with a max temp of 90 C, but this seems very high. The hardware monitor that shipped with my motherboard (ABIT NV7-133R) has a default upper limit of 70 C.

Thoughts?

I am using the PAL 8045 sink, but still haven't landed on a fan that I like yet. I have considered buying or making an 80mm to 120mm fan adapter to get greater flow in a more quiet package.

Anyone tried this? Any luck?

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I'm using the 8045 with a pcpowerandcooling silencer fan run on 7 volts and it's very quiet and plenty cool. Basically the noise from this is air flow noise, and you won't get lots of air movement without some air noise. Anyway, I don't remember the temp it runs, but I think it's around 52c. Oh, it's an athlon xp 1600 also.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
IceBerg water cooling kit and fortron power supply.... What noise ;) ???

In truth I still need to find a waterjacket for my radeons but thats just as I am lazy...

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
For CPU cooling I like the Zalman Copper Flower coolers. I was interested in the Nexus power supply after reading the Silent PC review; they rate it as being even better than the Zalman power supply. Unfortunately there don't seem to be any US distributors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.