AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your information is a year old.

ABC did MNF in HDTV for the 1999-2000 season, and did not do it for 2000-2001. That is what's being referenced.

The original OTA broadcast transmission standard was questioned by a few broadcasters, but it was confirmed earlier this year by the FCC and is no longer in question.

I posted the following in a recent topic about the possibilities for the NFL in HDTV this year:

My Magic Eight Ball says "We'll have at least some NFL in HDTV this fall"

- CBS has a huge commitment to the NFL in HDTV. They demonstrated this last year by broadcasting the Detroit Lions Thanksgiving Day game, 4 (or 5?) AFC playoff games & the SuperBowl in HDTV. To me it seems this could only be the minimum to expect for this year, with select local games (maybe an HD game of the week?) also possible.

- ABC is rumored to be adding more HDTV to their fall primetime schedule. It is possible MNF would return in HD, but there is no denying it's a long shot.

- Paul Allen (owner of the Seattle Seahawks) is planning on broadcasting Seahawks preseason games in HD. It is not yet known if these will be available outside of the Pacific Northwest.

All in all, some definite possibilities. Cross your fingers and "Ask again later!"

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks for the update! Sorry that I didn't see the post date, but I am pleased to hear that it was aged information I was reading. HDTV should and will be the future! Thanks again!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just read on HDTVGALAXY.COM that the upcoming NFL Monday night HDTV broadcasts have been cancelled. Anybody hear more as to what might be going on? This news was apparantly an unconfirmed rumor. Kind of discouraging. Here is a clip of the aricle:

>On top of this programming pullback, Disney-ABC wants the FCC to uproot the current digital TV standards and replace them with another system that's being used in Europe. In late June, the agency agreed to study the matter. Any such switch would render obsolete the 120,000 or so pricey sets in pioneering hi-tech U.S. households.

Some insiders suggest there's another agenda at work for the switch, beyond the allegedly poor urban reception problem cited by Disney and its industry allies as reason enough to make a standards' switch.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Check the date of that source. I think this was from last year as the "alternate transmission mode" issue has now been settled. Don't want to go there - just gets everyone all riled up...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.