AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if Fox is only allowed to show 1 game a week using 16:9 graphic pltacement per the NFL? I mean NFL Network is still 4:3 safe for SD viewers.

·
Registered
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman /forum/post/0

I'm starting to wonder if Fox is only allowed to show 1 game a week using 16:9 graphic pltacement per the NFL? I mean NFL Network is still 4:3 safe for SD viewers.

I don't believe so. Fox has been planning to transition all games to 16:9 graphics. Just not sure why they haven't yet. Hopefully the regular season games will be.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman /forum/post/20817717

I'm starting to wonder if Fox is only allowed to show 1 game a week using 16:9 graphic pltacement per the NFL?

I remember reading on here that the NFL has a ridiculously stupid requirement in place that requires the network to make a 4:3 feed available, even if they're only broadcasting the 16:9 feed. And since Fox doesn't want to go through all of the trouble of doing that for all of their games, it's limited to the A game each week.

It's a damn shame. The NFL pushed HD so hard, but they're holding back the full utilization of it. I wish they'd get a clue.

·
Registered
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W /forum/post/0

I remember reading on here that the NFL has a ridiculously stupid requirement in place that requires the network to make a 4:3 feed available, even if they're only broadcasting the 16:9 feed. And since Fox doesn't want to go through all of the trouble of doing that for all of their games, it's limited to the A game each week.

It's a damn shame. The NFL pushed HD so hard, but they're holding back the full utilization of it. I wish they'd get a clue.

If true that's annoying and doesn't make any sense. So glad baseball is more important to me and MLB doesn't have some lame requirement like that.

·
Banned
2,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W /forum/post/20819503

Yeah it sucks a minority of people are holding back things. Most households have widescreen HDTVs now.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHergenrader /forum/post/20819705

If true that's annoying and doesn't make any sense. So glad baseball is more important to me and MLB doesn't have some lame requirement like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 /forum/post/20820338

Yeah it sucks a minority of people are holding back things. Most households have widescreen HDTVs now.

The biggest reason why it makes no sense is because the damn broadcast is still letterboxed for SD viewers!!!!! It's all about pleasing the other networks (excluding ESPN, since they're full 16:9 now too) that show highlights. I wish Fox would have stood up to the NFL and let them know what a ridiculous policy this is.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W /forum/post/20820939

The biggest reason why it makes no sense is because the damn broadcast is still letterboxed for SD viewers!!!!! It's all about pleasing the other networks (excluding ESPN, since they're full 16:9 now too) that show highlights.

It also may be about local cableco's that center cut the letterboxed broadcasts, for standard digital and/or analog retransmission.

·
Registered
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W /forum/post/0

The biggest reason why it makes no sense is because the damn broadcast is still letterboxed for SD viewers!!!!! It's all about pleasing the other networks (excluding ESPN, since they're full 16:9 now too) that show highlights. I wish Fox would have stood up to the NFL and let them know what a ridiculous policy this is.

For as much money as Fox pays for the NFL they should be able to produce it however they want.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
To me the best is at the bottom of the screen like espn.

All the news/stock stations have their scroll there anyway so im used to it.

That way they could still keep it in the middle yet it doesnt look like a box just hanging up there in nowewheresville.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 /forum/post/0

To me the best is at the bottom of the screen like espn.

All the news/stock stations have their scroll there anyway so im used to it.

That way they could still keep it in the middle yet it doesnt look like a box just hanging up there in nowewheresville.

In my opinion, of the networks that broadcast in 4:3 safe graphics for NFL games, I like CBS'presentation the best. Their scorebar is practically out of the way & it's thinner than ESPN's presentation.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/20821182

It also may be about local cableco's that center cut the letterboxed broadcasts, for standard digital and/or analog retransmission.

If that were the case, why would they have their flagship game be the one in 16:9? You'd think it would be the opposite if that was their reasoning.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The one thing going for ESPN's argument is that they only show 1 NFL game a week.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Perhaps Fox only has satellite capacity for 8 games, the usual 7 with 4:3 graphics and 1 of those also done with 16:9. Even on the weeks they only have 6 games because of uneven scheduling, they probably only have 1 truck set up to do simultaneous feeds with different graphics. Viewers probably don't even enter the equation because the NFL will draw viewers no matter what the broadcast is like.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.