AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK SIMPLE QUESTION , charge the sports bars ...top $$$$$ and what would we be willing to pay me myself would offer $50 PER WEEK FOR ACCESS TO THIS ...JUST TO MAKE MY NON HD FRIENDS GREEN WITH ENVY

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am a football fanatic. Seriously I can't get enough football. What is Directv charging for the Sunday ticket? $130 or something like that? I would be willing to pay double for a Sunday Ticket type package. I would have football parties at my house all season long!

Matt

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I agree with Matt, about double for a few HD games per week.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Q. NFL Package In HD, What Would You Pay?

A. A lot.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If they had every game in HD, then I would probably pay $1000, maybe even more (get 5 or 6 friends to pitch in $100 for the season). If there was only 2 or 3 games in HD, then I would pay double. But my wife would not be pleased.

Fletch

·
Registered
474 Posts
Ok, let me try and help develop your plan -- what would the provider (DSS or cable) do with the 9mhz of bandwidth for the rest of the week?

(the math being 3 games, 3 separate HD feeds at 3mhz apiece, used only for 4-5 hours on Sunday afternoon -- don't even think you'll get the rights to Monday Night)

Just pondering the rest of the plan...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'm not a footbal fanatic, but I like to watch the local games. If it was in HD, I would definitely subscribe to the football package. Without that, I wouldn't even consider it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I hope the NFL does not see this and think you rich people represent all of us.

·
Registered
95 Posts
$0.00

I love HD, but I wouldn't watch the NFL even if they played in my back yard. :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
if it was 720P or 1080i

if it included Monday Night Football

if the announcers didn't suck (or suck any worse than they do now)

no glitches showing replays or highlights or halftime network stuff

I'd be ecstatic with 299....I'd be ok with 399...I'd try to figure out how to spin it to my wife to get the ok for 499(but I'd probably lose)...anything higher would be a complete pass for me.

I would have paid anything short of 200 for a World Cup package (maybe even that much in SD although if the quality of the broadcasts were as bad as the ones they have showed on ESPN I would have felt gipped and asked for a pro-rated refund. Why is the quality of the same feed from Asia so much better on Univision that ESPN or ABC?)

If there was an option to pay 100 or 125 for the Tyson-Lewis fight in HD I would have subscribed.

And as sick as some of you may think this is, I'd pay double for Wrestlemania (and maybe even SummerSlam) in HD. I don't think I'd even buy the other Wrestling PPVs, regardless of quality unless there was a storyline that was really interesting.

I don't care enough about college football, hockey, baseball, or basketball to get a subscription, even though I will watch HD games that I probably wouldn't have watched if it was just SD, now and then.

Oh, another example of my sickness - I'd get a subscription to Premiership (English soccer) if it was in a HD format (maybe even 480P) and cost about 300 dollars, or less

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
12 dollars a month for two games a week. that is all I think they could do currently.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I too would pay double in the $250 range for all the games . . . cept I work weekends :-(.

Unfortunately as was sort of brought up earlier by Greg, that would be a whole lot of transponders that they need to do the job. I dont' think its feasable for them yet.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
2.5x the current rate, but it should include playoffs and Super Bowl.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Grayswan
$0.00

I love HD, but I wouldn't watch the NFL even if they played in my back yard. :D
Also nothing. I agree 100% with the above statement. It's amazing how much money you people are willing to waiste on this stuff.

bb

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gmclaughlin

(the math being 3 games, 3 separate HD feeds at 3mhz apiece, used only for 4-5 hours on Sunday afternoon -- don't even think you'll get the rights to Monday Night)
HD in a 3MHz pipe? You must be thinking SD figures. It sure would not be pretty for HD - especially high action. HBO has managed to cram two HD channels into a single transponder, but they use a very high FEC. Your main point still stands though: the bandwidth has to come from somewhere. Swiping from PPV channels has been a popular solution (at least for C-band). Well, another way to think of it is that the least popular PPV channels are allocated to the guaranteed pay dirt channels for one afternoon per week.

Oh, I'd pay 25% more for a 2-4 HD game per week schedule - but only if they pick the top matchups. It definitely needs to include playoffs, and they need to fix this non-HD Sunday/Monday night crapola. I watch those two more that anything else until November.

Peace!

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bb1987

Also nothing. I agree 100% with the above statement. It's amazing how much money you people are willing to waiste on this stuff.

bb
You do realize that you are in the HDTV Forum right? We obvioulsy waisted tons of money already if we are posting here :)

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I would pay double the regular NFL Sunday Ticket rate if they included all of the games, but a quick reality check tells us that would never happen (not enough bandwidth for that many HD channels, plus not enough equipment to broadcast that many HD games each week).

The reason why Sunday Ticket is a success is that you get each and every game. There are no "powers that be" who choose which games you get to watch (ie. like local affiliates).

That said, we could only hope for 2-3 HD games per week, and most likely those would have to be game of the week type of national broadcasts (the games you'll see for free on FOX/CBS anyway) in order to please the maximum amount of subscribers. Because of this, I doubt anyone except for the truly ravenous NFL (and HD) fan would be willing to pay for a limited subscription, to possibly the same games they could watch upconverted on their local digital affiliate. Now, if we could pick and choose which 2-3 games we wanted each week (out of 15), that would be perfect (but for reasons stated at the top of the post, can't happen).

The most likely scenario would be a weekly PPV type of event, where they post a list of 2 or 3 HD games each week, in advance, and you could then make the decision to tune in and pay each week if it was actually a matchup you wanted to pay the premium to watch in HD. For that, I might pay $5/game.

Assuming that my Rams would be on at least 8x (I think they have 4 MNF and SNF games), that would net them a total of $40 from this household. Throw in maybe 6 other non-Rams games that I would want to watch (when they play on MNF, the bye week, or just another good matchup) and there's another $30 for DirecTV.

I think this would be the most realistic business model and one that subscribers would be willing to pay for. If HD/NFL fans bought at least one game per week, that would get them $85 per sub over the course of a 17 week season, and DirecTV would only give them 3hrs of programming each week, on one channel (instead of 6hrs/week on multiple SD channels as with Sunday Ticket).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.