AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PQ is absolutely horrible. Is the local feed in 480p SD, and NFLN is rebroadcasting this garbage and adding their HD bottom line overlay? The scorebar at the top is so low and obtrusive it was designed for a color TV from 1970. This looks highly compressed with severe edge enhancements, dancing grass, and bad even by 480p standards.


Watching NFLN via D* on a 50" 1080p display.


Edit: Saw a mention of ABC13.com during the broadcast, so it appears to be Houston's local ABC affiliate. Are they feeding NFLN 720p? Whatever is going on, it looks awful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,134 Posts
KTRK is the flagship station, but a lot of teams contract the production out to some third party and simply sell the result to whoever is interested, rather than having the local broadcaster actually involved in the production. This game is being carried across most of the southern 2/3 of Texas on various local broadcasters.


Certainly doesn't help that NFL Network's equipment leaves red, green, and blue blotches across solid colored areas. Another year of the NFL making the most money and yet doing the worst job on their own channel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule123 /forum/post/0


PQ is absolutely horrible. Is the local feed in 480p SD, and NFLN is rebroadcasting this garbage and adding their HD bottom line overlay? The scorebar at the top is so low and obtrusive it was designed for a color TV from 1970. This looks highly compressed with severe edge enhancements, dancing grass, and bad even by 480p standards.


Watching NFLN via D* on a 50" 1080p display.


Edit: Saw a mention of ABC13.com during the broadcast, so it appears to be Houston's local ABC affiliate. Are they feeding NFLN 720p? Whatever is going on, it looks awful.

I can't say I saw the game, but I know when I watch a Chargers preseason game from the Chargers TV Network on CBS 8-KFMB, they tend not to produce their games in HD. It's usually in 480p widescreen and I must say it looks like crap. At least thats how it has been done in past years. This year the first preseason game was on ESPN, tomorrow's game is on NBC. So week 3 of preseason is when I'll know what presentation the Chargers Television Network will produce.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva /forum/post/20848367


NO-Texans was god awful. For NFL network to try to sell that to fans as an HD broadcast was a joke.

They just rebroadcast the games from whatever the local TV stations put out. NFLN didn't produce the game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz /forum/post/20848445


MIN/SEA had the FSN graphics package, so I wonder if it was done by Root Sports Northwest, and if so, if they did it at 720p like they would do for their normal programming.

KARE 11 here in the Twin Cities had the game at 1080i. However there was a good amount of compression artifacts during any motion of the on screen graphics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,190 Posts
I think that the NFL channel re-sizes the video so that they can run their ticker at the bottom of the screen.

But anyway it did look bad!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertson /forum/post/20849109


It was disgusting I didn't bother watching another great job by the NFL Network

Once again, the NFL Network DID NOT produce the game. It was a rebroadcast from a local TV station. Blame them for the lousy PQ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHergenrader /forum/post/20850475


Who cares if it was bad. It was a preseason game! The game doesn't matter or count. I still don't understand why they even air preseason games or why anybody wants to watch them. Get over it.

Some people like to bet $$ on preseason.


Example the colts are always terrible vs the spread in preseason so if you bet against the colts this year you are 2-0 already.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,150 Posts
It makes no difference whether it's preseason, post season or in between season. It makes no difference whether it's sports, movies, or weekly procedurals. Anything that is produced to be aired to the public should be shown as best effort, just like the athletes, the directors, or the stories. To show anything that is not up to standard is just saying "who cares." And that is the problem!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
I think the worst thing about the preseason is that even though I pay mad money for Sunday Ticket, I can see only a small fraction of the preseason games if ESPN or NFL Network is kind enough to show them (I know they aren't on Sunday).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin95 /forum/post/20850238


Once again, the NFL Network DID NOT produce the game. It was a rebroadcast from a local TV station. Blame them for the lousy PQ.

Why is the NFL Network charging providers so much money and demanding to be carried on every package if they're not even paying for camera crews with HD cameras to cover these games?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontail60 /forum/post/20851351


Why is the NFL Network charging providers so much money and demanding to be carried on every package if they're not even paying for camera crews with HD cameras to cover these games?

A lot of times, the local affiliates that get the games simply have analog-only or digital 4:3 aspect ratio plants. Last week, the Chicago Bears played. On the flagship station in Chicago, it looked excellent on FOX (not produced by them, but by a third party production company, with the same graphics package pretty much 4 years running. But that's fine, the graphics are unobtrusive, and contribute nicely to the game. If it isn't broke...anyway, I digress.)


The Rockford, IL CBS affiliate carried it in HD (they got a huge new almost all-HD plant a few years ago which enables them to do that), and it looked very good with one subchannel on 1080i. But other markets didn't, and the center-cut SD feed looked bad on those stations (I know the source was good, but the equipment and encoders used in those markets was older, and they are fighting for survival). Again, the source material was actually widescreen, nice-looking HD. Your local affiliate likely couldn't afford the equipment to get and retransmit the HD broadcast. And yes, even in bigger markets, it's still a big issue.


As for charging a lot of money...if the NFL Network offers a game in your local market, any full-power, full-market coverage local stations have the option to bid on it. The game goes to the highest (or only) bidder, with a minimum cost level specified depending on market size. Last year, it leaked out that WPWR-DT Chicago won a particular game's auction after several stations bid on it...and they won the bid with $800,000(!) for showing that in-season game. They still made money, they claim, but it isn't cheap to win the bid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor /forum/post/20851253


I think the worst thing about the preseason is that even though I pay mad money for Sunday Ticket, I can see only a small fraction of the preseason games if ESPN or NFL Network is kind enough to show them (I know they aren't on Sunday).

I'm assuming you mean LIVE games, because the NFL Network airs every preseason game at some point during the week. Also, you can only see games on ESPN or NFL Network? You can't get NBC, CBS, or FOX? They all show live preseason games.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top