Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw this...

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/021211/110245_1.html

Includes the quote: "...This agreement also continues the NFL tradition of leadership in sports television technology by developing more opportunities for fans to experience high-definition television and other new high-tech and interactive innovations, including a new year-round NFL CHANNEL."

Marc

·
Registered
137 Posts
This is great news. In reading the Yahoo article, not only does the quote above from Paul Tagliabue mention HD content, but D* CEO Eddy Hartenstein does as well.

I wonder, based on the timing of this agreement, if the E* money played a part in this deal ??

Go Pack !!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yea, but who's gonna foot the bill for all the HD cameras at all those NFL Games? It seems to me that D* is at the mercy of the major networks. We can only hope they have something in the works.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Plasma George
How mauch A$$ would that kick if we got every HD game no matter who or where in the country it was.!
A lot, but unfortunatly, it won't happen just yet.

This development represents a situation simular to NBA TV's HDTV Game of the Week. If CBS were to offer an NFL game or two per week in HDTV, DirecTV NFL ST would pass it along.

So between MNF & the CBS games on NFL ST, we'd get 2-3 NFL games in HDTV and 2 games a week in EDTV from Fox. Not bad at all.

·
Registered
936 Posts
It would make me happy thats for sure!!! Regardless of HD, I sure would like to see ST PQ improve, but if DTV keeps an exclusive, I don't think that we can expect to any progress.

Mike

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The latest press releases are quoting an unnamed source that the deal is worth $2 billion for 5 years!! Think the auto renewal price is going to stay at $139/year?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lets see, $2 billion over 5 years is $400M/year at a subscription cost of $139/year, thats 2,877,697 subscribers to cover the cost of the NFL deal. I have no idea how many people have signed up for ST but it seems to me thats a pretty low(CORRECTION-"HIGH") threshold. I'd love to see the details of that deal and what specifically they have planned for HD NFL. More importantly: the timeline.

Edit: Slipped a digit on my calculation.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The current contract is $130 M, and it's going to $400 M - but don't forget that businesses (read- sports bars) pay something like $2000 a year today.

Kendal

·
Registered
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H

So between MNF & the CBS games on NFL ST, we'd get 2-3 NFL games in HDTV and 2 games a week in EDTV from Fox. Not bad at all.
Don't forget ESPN's Sunday Night Game.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
How friggin' sweet will it be when you have to *choose* which HD game to watch on a Sunday? :)

Noteworthy that in 2006, cable can theoretically get a hold of Sunday ticket, but Dish can't until 2008. Also noteworthy that this is release "the day after".

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
This development represents a situation simular to NBA TV's HDTV Game of the Week. If CBS were to offer an NFL game or two per week in HDTV, DirecTV NFL ST would pass it along.

With the higher quality available to people for comparison, it might push networks to shoot even more games in HD.

I know that if there isn't a team in which I am specifically interested on, I would watch an HD game vs. a non-HD game in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think this is great news for all of us who subscribe to DTV.This shows a committment by DTV to spend money where and when it's necessary to compete against the Comcast's of the world. The HD announcement by the NFL through DTV is the launch pad for HDTV to take off in general.

Bandwidth will be found to handle programming that demands it like the NFL.

IMHO this is why the merger failure is good news since I beleive more programming options will be made available to all of us.

Yes we may have to pay for it but that's just the way it is.

We've purchased the hardware already so maybe those members who whine about programming costs should just get on board and pay their fair share in order to insure that HD programming will be available to us.

What other option do we have anyway.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My memory has it that, during Direct's second year, their subscriber base doubled between July and October due to Sunday Ticket. (Hooked me.) It literally put them on the map.

It would be poetic justice if this NFL contract bump-up finances the networks' transition to HD.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Plasma George
How mauch A$$ would that kick if we got every HD game no matter who or where in the country it was.!

Come one DirecTv, give me NFLHD.!
[TONGUEINCHEEK]When I saw the press release, I was curious to visit AVS to see how many posts before someone wished for ALL games in HD. The answer: 3. We are an optimistic group.[/TONGUEINCHEEK]

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I don't subscribe to ST but if the games were in HD, then I would have no choice but to subscribe. The future of HD is getting better everyday. I am going to have to find a job I can do from my house pretty soon.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here is a link to a transcript of the NFL teleconference.

http://www.tvbarn.com/ticker/archive...11.html#007429

The following is one of the questions and the answer pertaining to the HDTV games.

"Q. How is the HD telecast going to roll out? A percentage of them? Is this going to be a problem with cameras and equipment?

COMMISSIONER TAGLIABUE: Let me turn it to Steve first, then I could ask Eddy to comment from his perspective. Steve Bornstein could talk about how we expect to deal with the networks.

EDDY HARTENSTEIN: What we're looking to do is enhance our current high-def offerings on Sunday afternoons with as many games that are going to be produced in high definition as possible, ultimately leading to our entire out-of-market package of Sunday Ticket hopefully in the very near future being high-def.

We think high-def is spectacular. If you look at what is going on in the consumer electronics industry, the prices are coming down and down. Certainly as early as the '03 season here, which is roughly another -- the start is another 10 months from now, we are getting into some very affordable territory for high-def television receivers, high-def television sets. That's an integral part of our future view of entertainment in general, and there's no better category than sports to exploit the advantages of high-def.

Within the sports category, there's no better example than football to take full advantage of the attributes that high-def brings. "

It will be interesting to see how they will be able to fit in this much HD, since the opinion here seems to be, that they only have room for 3 or 4 more HD channels.

Jim

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Mr. Hartenstein sure sounds committed to the HD. That's great to hear. He'd better stay true to those words though or I can see him becoming the AVS forum whipping boy in a year or two if they fail to deliver the necessary HD. I'm sure he had no idea, but once you've been quoted here, you'd better watch out!

To be honest though, I was really hoping Sunday Ticket would go mainstream to cable systems and the like. It is the main reason I got D* a few years back, but with Comcast Cable starting its HD and apparently on course to offer more HD than what D* can provide, I was hoping to dump D* and would have if they'd lost ST. Now I have to keep both for awhile. Then again, if my damn Detroit Lions don't improve soon, there's really no reason to get ST since their games are exercises in futility anyway. :D

It would seem though that if this NFL HD is to become a reality that D* would have to either eliminate a lot of current channels (oh, the BYU and RFD channels quickly come to mind) or put more birds in the air right? Not to mention that the NBA is heading down the HD road also according to commissioner David Stern. Isn't it great to have all these HD options and plans starting to emerge though?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I was planing on dropping Sunday Ticket next year since I mostly got it to watch the Bears, which has not been much fun this year.

If they go HD, I'll have to reconsider my plans.

Don

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.