AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the ASUS A7N266-VM MB with the integrated audio. The recent release of the drivers support ASIO and I noticed that MJ 9 supports ASIO drivers for audio playback... I've setup MJ (actually Media Center now) to send the audio stream via the ASIO drivers and it appears to be working. The Windows mixer no longer has any affect on the volume of the audio sent to my reciever.

However, my reciever doesn't display what type of digital stream it is recieving and I'm not familiar enough with the ASIO drivers to know if they do or do not upsample. So... can anyone else with the nforce audio chipset verify that the ASIO is sending out an unaltered stream?

Either way, it does seem to sound better. Still like to know though...

Al

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Well, you are bypassing KMixer, so it should sound better.

I tried hooking up the nForce audio to the input of a Delta 410 card to see whether it could lock on to the sample rate output of the nForce.

But I'm unable to let it autodetect. Instead it wants me to sample the SPDIF input:confused:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I wish my reciever would display what kind of digital audio stream it was recieving.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have tried using the ASIO drivers with Winamp 2.8 and Winamp3 with ASIO output plugins. Winamp does seem to be sending 44.1Khz PCM to the drivers/apu, bypassing kmixer, but what my pre-pro gets is 48Khz PCM. Sigh.....

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Lenny,

what card and what patch level of the winamp output plugin are you using?

Where do you know from what your card is sending?

Thomas

·
Registered
509 Posts
My mobo is an Asus A7N266-C. Drivers are 2.0 for XP. The version numbers of the ASIO plugin are 0.20C (for 2.8) and 0.33a (for 3.0B build 488).

The reason I suspect that Winamp is passing 44.1 to the drivers is because when I use the sample rate conversion features in the plugin it has an effect (i.e. 44.1 and 48Khz are audible, at different quality levels, and other sampling rates are not audible) and because muting Wave has no effect, indicating the sound isn't coming from Waveout or DS (I also experimented and temporarily removed the DS and Waveout components from winamp). The front panel on my pre-pro tells me what kind of signal it is getting (i.e. 48Khz PCM).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.