AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will The Nforce 2 chipset work better with my M-AUDIO card. I would like to buy a MOBO with the NFORCE 2 chipset without the on board AUDIO controller and DD 5.1. I just want to take advantage of the DUALL DDR and the new CHIPSET FEATURES.

Will there be any conflicts with my M-AUDIO 24/96 PCI card and the new chipset?

Thanks

ABE

·
Registered
31 Posts
From what I've seen of the Nforce2 Previews your M-Audio may not even be needed with the quality of the onboard audio. The digital channels offered on SoundStorm certified boards is supposed to be outputed at 24/96.

I can tell you after using this Nforce-1 board for about 2 weeks now (Asus A7N266-VM) that I'm absolutely floored at the audio quality of this MOTHERBOARD CHIPSET. I'm using both the analot connections (Altec Lansing ATP3) and the digital coaxial interface to connect to my reciever, a RCA STAV-3970.

Not to mention that the system can ENCODE any non DD/DTS sources into a DD5.1 signal for your reciever, along with the ability to decode DD5.1 OR pass through DD/DTS signals to your reciever. :)

Sorry if I sound like a preacher (although I still love my ATI video cards) I am absolutely floored @ these Nforce chipsets. :)

Btw, I have no doubt at the Maudio's card's compatibility with the chipset. :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
No nForce 1 users have reported any problems with M-Audio cards, so nForce 2 should also work fine (the audio processing hardware and drivers are the same). If you are using M-Audio card for digital pass-through, you should probably just not install it and get one of the nForce cards with the MCP-T and use the onboard audio - its at least as good, and maybe better (best latency of any audio solution out there, among other advantages).

If you want to use the M-Audio card's analog output to a good amp & speakers, you'll probably be better off continuing to use it, as the C-Media / Realtek chipsets that are part of the analog audio output chain in the nForce boards are significantly inferior to the M-Audio cards. If the onboard audio will just be connected to computer speakers, it is more than good enough.

If you play games at all, the DD encode capability is a can't-live-without feature.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I have both the nForce1 and a Delta 410. Both are installed at the same time, and there's absolutely no problems with that.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Be careful when choosing an nForce2 motherboard. I really want to upgrade my nForce1 motherboard to nForce2 because of the improved PCI performance which should help with Hipix recordings that sometimes work and sometimes have constant drop-outs (I think it might depend on the bit-rate of the source material). The board that seems the best is the Asus A7N8X deluxe (I think that is the model),

BUT...

The new kick butt 2.0 drivers from nVidia are not compatible with it for the Audio portion! The last drivers I had for the nForce caused constant lockups and reboots when playing games in DD. I really hope nVidia releases 2.01 drivers that work with the Asus board.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I thought the 2.0 drivers were supposed to work with the A7N8X Deluxe, just not the non-deluxe version (which doesn't have the MCP-T). If I remember correctly, the A7N8X Deluxe will work with the 2.0 drivers, but two of the analog in/outs will be reversed. Supposedly there will be an A7N8X Deluxe specific driver set out very shortly. Also, I've read reports of people with A7N8X non-deluxes being able to force install the drivers (except the audio portion).

·
Registered
819 Posts
nForce 1 resamples all PCM output to 48 kHz with lousy results (proven by measurements and clearly audible).

Further, the analog audio outs on my nForce 1 motherboard are so bad that I can even hear the interference the USB bus makes when I move my mouse.

I think it's needless to say that my Terratec DMX 6fire (similar to Audiophile 2496) offers superior measured and perceived sound quality.

If you are serious about your music and not just bypassing DTS/DD signal, then I would *definitely* get an extra PCI sound card, of which the upcoming M-Audio Revolution looks very interesting.

regards,

Halcy

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
lennyr,

What I read stated that Asus changed the ID of their audio device so they could program it with special settings with their own drivers, and because of this, the reference drivers don't work. I also read the rumor about new drivers that support the Asus. Let's just hope they release them.

Halcy,

I have an RME soundcard for music and DVD's. I don't care how it sounds for games that much. Most games don't sound that great to begin with. The latest drivers sound significantly better than the original drivers. What I do like is the coolness factor of playing games in Dolby Digital.

Mike

·
Registered
637 Posts
Halcy, is there any reason to use the analog outs if a digital coax were feeding a receiver? The way I understand it the nForce will send all audio through the S/PDIF. I can understand fully why the analog outs are inferior to some of the other high end cards with good dac's but if one were to just bypass that stage and use the DAC's on the receiver, which are presumably better, wouldn't this get similar results in terms of quality?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Quote:
Will NFORCE2 boards pass thru DTS, DD EX etc. or is it only DD 5.1
Yes. It will pass DTS, DD EX, etc. through just fine. It will only encode to DD.

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR5009, AppleTV 4K, Sony KDL-55W900A, M&K s-125 lcr, M&K SS-150 surround, SVS 16-46pci sub
785 Posts
The new 2.0 drivers do not work with the A7N8X (I have this board) it installs fine except for the sound. As soon as I install the Asus drivers afterwards, it installs the audio fine and leaves the rest alone. I hope a version of these drivers comes out soon for the A7N8X. It even says on the Nvidia website that they don't work on the Asus or the Chaintech (which AFAIK are the only boards currently out)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.