AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Leadtek K7NCR18G-Pro nForce2 motherboard, the one with SoundStorm.

On the back, it has three 1/8" (or is it 1/4"? I forget) mini plugs: Mic, Line In, Line out. If you want to use Analog out for a 5.1 speaker system, you have to configure it in the driver and plug the fronts into Mic, the surrounds into Line in, and the Sub/Center into Line Out (or something like that).

Question: if you're using these plugs for output, how can you use a Microphone for input?

This might sound odd - the reason is that I'll be using my home theater to host my Fantasy Football draft this year, and we want to video conference with a couple of team owners out of state on my projector. But I can't figure out how to capture the sound. Normally, I'd just feed coax into my receiver to free up the Mic port, but for various reasons to tormented to go into, that's not an option right now...

--KS

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump.

--KS

·
Registered
249 Posts
I believe you're pretty much stuck with temporarily reconfiguring that output back into a mic input. Do you need simultaneous 6-channel output AND mic input? Can't you get away with just running stereo out for awhile?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I hate to be the on to tell you this, but you just can't. You'll have to switch back to the stereo setting (instead of 5.1) if you want to use your mic. My guess is you're using the mic to chat. You need to connect headphones for that anyway. Best way is to make (or buy) some sort of switchbox. Buying just a splittel will lower the volume when using 5.1 and my guess is you'll blow up your mic in the process.

The nForce-audio is very nice, but it being an on-board sollution leaves much to be desired when it commes to connections.

It would be best if you were to connect a DD receiver to the SPDIF port of the nForce. It'll give you 5.1 sound by way of an AC3 DD stream, it encodes it on the fly without using too much processorpower, in all applications that support more than 2 speakers. That way you'll have the other connections free for your mic and maybe a pair of headphones.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How irritating...

Built a machine for my sister around this motherboard, and recommended she get those spiffy cheap Logitech Z-640's ($47 after rebate - pretty sweet for a decent sounding 5.1 system). Now I'm going to have to tell her that if she wants to use a Mic with her system (she's got a voicemail modem), she's going to have to swap out some speakers temporarily.

Fortunately, I freed up my Coax port on my Denon 1082 (switched one of my inputs over to optical) so I'm not going to have a problem with my Fantasy Football video conferencing setup in my theater.

--KS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.