AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to put in a plug for this piece of software---I know I have come across a number of people asking questions looking for this functionality. I stumbled across it the other day and was very impressed with it.

It runs as a Windows Service and makes a remote controle available via anything browser capable. Think Iphone, Ipod Touch, PSP, Touchscreen, Laptop.....

It is open source so the price level is fantastic! I have no affiliation I am just thrilled with how it works and want to get the word out. The more people using it the more people will potentially support the author and the more likely we are to get more options/function out of it.

The author's blog is located here:

http://www.olphro.de/wordpress/proje...remote-control

The SourceForge site is located here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ngrc

There is a longer thread on The Green Button--Take note that most of the thread deals with beta releases and many of the issues in the first 10 pages of the thread are related to previous versions. Don't read the first five pages and say "this isn't going to work for me" because he fixed many of the issues. It still gives some good information on what service is installed and what port you need to open in the firewall (or change the port)

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/251541.aspx

One other not--at this time Vista x64 is not officially supported, but I have it running on my Premium x64 machine and I am still able to use it to a certain extent.

Cheers!

Mike

·
Registered
389 Posts
I also have x64. What components do not work for you? Have you tried this to control the MyMovies plugin to play blu-ray?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by volley /forum/post/15726272

I also have x64. What components do not work for you? Have you tried this to control the MyMovies plugin to play blu-ray?

Lets see--the remote does not work. The Quene does not work. I do not have MyMovies or Blue-Ray right now so I cannot test it.

Are you using it successfully?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have not tried it yet, but was looking for this type of functionality to control my Blu-Ray based media server

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can't get this working in Vista x64 or Win 7 x64.

Can you please explain how you were able to get this running on a x64 system?

Thanks

·
Registered
390 Posts
If you have all of Windows Security On (Firewall,UAC etc).

1. Share your NGRC folder for (to make changes = aloud) read/write.

NGRC changes things within its folder.

2. Check your firewall settings, & be sure NGRC/Tomcat is aloud access .

If you need to manually add this to the firewall, the service is called "Service Runner".

I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 x64 v.7127, All works great (but some of the remote buttons-up/dwn/lft/rght. do not work).

I did not need to do step 1. but i recall doing so with Win7 beta. you can probaly skip step 1.

step2. is most important.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayking /forum/post/16494147

If you have all of Windows Security On (Firewall,UAC etc).

1. Share your NGRC folder for (to make changes = aloud) read/write.

NGRC changes things within its folder.

2. Check your firewall settings, & be sure NGRC/Tomcat is aloud access .

If you need to manually add this to the firewall, the service is called "Service Runner".

I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 x64 v.7127, All works great (but some of the remote buttons-up/dwn/lft/rght. do not work).

I did not need to do step 1. but i recall doing so with Win7 beta. you can probaly skip step 1.

step2. is most important.

Thanks for the reply, I'll check the firewall settings. I wonder if Tomcat is not allowed.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tried opening the ports and also tried fully disabling the firewall, no dice.

Did you do any tricks during the install, like XP mode or anything like that?

I'm on build 7100.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I tried this long ago and abandoned it when I couldn't get it to work, though I was lazy and did not spend all that much time on it
. The dev has improved the UI a whole lot, maybe I should revisit!

It would be cool if the guy would write a native iPhone app as well, though I do like the option of accessing with any old browser.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Little_Mike: What point have you gotten? Have you attempted a local connection? I don't remember the port but did you try to http://127.0.0.1ort/ngrc

I'll check later to see what settings I've got (gotta get the kids to bed)

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpotoka /forum/post/16512952

Little_Mike: What point have you gotten? Have you attempted a local connection? I don't remember the port but did you try to http://127.0.0.1ort/ngrc

I'll check later to see what settings I've got (gotta get the kids to bed)

I just tried a fresh install on 7100, still no dice. I've tried hitting it on the local 127.0.0.1 IP, no luck. I've also installed the latest x64 Java JRE. I get up to the same stop everytime. I can get to the NGRC main menu, but when I click the music icon, i get "could not connect to MCE/VMC, please check, if the addin is running " When I load Media Center, I get a message saying "Error loading add-in NGRC. Acess to c:\\extenders.txt is denied"

I set this up on a x32 system and I have it working. Someone on another forum suggested changing the server.xml file to look on port 8006 instead of 8005, but that didn't do anything.

Thanks again, I'm pretty stumped on this one

·
Registered
21 Posts
I do not have a hidden or visible extenders.txt. I tried creating on, which still didn't work.

I'll try turning UAT off and see how that goes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts