AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those greatly anticipating this game like I am, here are some details (courtesy of IGN) on one of the few not terribly botched EA sports games.

Quote:
• Yes, we are fixing bugs that have been called out in all of the forums, like the dynasty bug where released players ended up back on your roster and:

• The ability to turn off CPU trading in Dynasty

PS3 locked at 60 FPS

• The bug called fighting

• Oh yeah…less hip checking

• The dump and chase style will be a genuine way to win a game. (The new flip dump will sometimes bounce over the defensemen’s stick and get him in all sorts of trouble. Then you can use the lift stick or the new checking system to get the puck back using one of the new forecheck strategies).

• Lower skilled players will have a tougher time deking and scoring than in previous years.

• Did you watch Sidney Crosby protect the puck with one hand on the stick when powering his way to the net? You can do that too.

• Separate line changes for forwards and d-men (finally)

• We are adding features that will help newcomers to the series. Features like an interactive tutorial and a simplified control scheme. The reason for this is simple. We want to grow the sport of hockey. Hockey has great momentum right now, and we should all be working together to bring new fans to the sport. Hockey is truly a global sport and this game sells very well overseas as well as in NA, so we added several new teams from top leagues around the world.

• We will have lots of retro jerseys in the game (Seals, North Stars, etc) and we are doing something even more special with one of the NHL franchises.

To Join the AVS NHL 09 league, search the following:

AVS is the league name

AVS id the abbreviation

password is jagr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs NHL League Members /forum/post/0

Durbo20vT

Machines

NiklasTokestrom

Resonating

Space2001

Sheekamoo

JDub_41

IceSavior

Ghabou

vexvex

CyberDizzle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs Online Team Play /forum/post/0

Durbo20vT

Machines

NiklasTokestrom

Resonating

Hatcher14

·
Registered
111 Posts
I can't wait either! I haven't purchased (played though) an NHL game in quite a few years, however this release looks like they might have finally gotten everything right. Thanks for posting this quick info for those who haven't been following it on IGN. I can't wait to see the graphics and how the physics system is in this one!

·
Registered
113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyLukes3 /forum/post/14215157

I can't wait either! I haven't purchased (played though) an NHL game in quite a few years, however this release looks like they might have finally gotten everything right. Thanks for posting this quick info for those who haven't been following it on IGN. I can't wait to see the graphics and how the physics system is in this one!

I had NHL 05 for PS2 but got rid of it because the controls were overly complicated for my liking. I haven't played any of the games since for fear of the same thing. I'm curious as to how this "simplified control scheme" will work. I'll keep an eye out for the demo and thanks for the info.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I may just be grumpy today, but I'll believe it when I see it. Every year they talk up the "new additions" to the gameplay, and every year most of them fail to impress me. Wasn't last year's addition of the skill stick supposed to make it harder for less skilled players to deke? The "bug" called fighting is always there; honestly, when was the last time a fight in a EA produced hockey game seemed realistic? And why's it so difficult to add seperate line changes for forwards and d-men? I had NHL '97 on PSone, and it had seperate changes. You gonna tell me that the PS3 can't handle something the PSone handled with ease?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge hockey fan. I love to play it in real life, and I love to play it in the virtual world. I'll probably buy this the day it comes out. I'm just sick and tired of companies talking about all the (same) changes they're going to make, and then failing to deliver.

·
Registered
8,071 Posts
As long as they fix the garbage they put out last year. Online was retarded!!! just shoot from the blue line in the first 10 seconds get a goal and get 2-4 more within the next 5 minutes! they really have to make it harder to score, scoring 10 or more goals should only happen 1 out of 100 tries, not every second game!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I bought the xbox 360 because of NHL 07....then sold the xbox 360... bought the PS3 later...thought i would play more 'PS3 games only"....then ended up only playing NHL 08...

Can't wait for NHL 09.....

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm not sure if I will be getting NHL 09, I usually only buy every second NHL and I purchased 08 last year. Although I enjoy 08, it does have alot of issues, so maybe that will make me get 09.

This issue was probably my favorite:

Sort of looks like the Tazmanian Devil, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utgotye /forum/post/14215309

I had NHL 05 for PS2 but got rid of it because the controls were overly complicated for my liking. I haven't played any of the games since for fear of the same thing. I'm curious as to how this "simplified control scheme" will work. I'll keep an eye out for the demo and thanks for the info.

I found the controls in 08 were simple and a friend of mine who doesn't play hockey or hockey games also found them quite easy. So, if there even more simplified, should be pretty easy for most to learn.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumavguy /forum/post/14526178

the mmo seems like it could turn out to be a good time..

but do you have to play with the same real players?

I only found out about the mmo part recently, but it sounds great!

The team roster can have up to 50 people, so I guess you have to play with those same 50 players, unless you are constantly joining and leaving teams.

So is anyone starting an AVS Forum team?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'm curious to see how this works. i'd be in for it but i dont know how often i'd be available to play at first...

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you downloading it? i wont be able to get home until real late tonight, so ino go until tomorrow for me. im curious to hear the reviews

·
Registered
879 Posts
Two questions.

1.) Did EA develop this on the 360 or PS3 as their lead platform? (has it ever been mentioned?)

2.) Has there been any mention of Trophies for this game? From a few searches it appears trophies have not been announced... but I could have missed something.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No Trophies, No Custom soundtracks on Ps3 (360 will have custom songs during goal scoring moments and breaks in play).

The demo is out now on PS3 though, and the gameplay is amazing.

1 - 20 of 209 Posts