AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw on major nelson's twitter that the new nhl 10 demo is finally posted. I'm stuck at work and just wondering if anyone has grabbed it yet and their impressions. This was far and away my fav sports game last year, it put madden to shame.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-KGB /forum/post/17031724

I saw on major nelson's twitter that the new nhl 10 demo is finally posted. I'm stuck at work and just wondering if anyone has grabbed it yet and their impressions. This was far and away my fav sports game last year, it put madden to shame.

Agreed!

Was there an AVS team in the EASHL last year?

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayanythingrock /forum/post/17035387

eh nothing feels different they added a first person fighting style which looks kinda cheesy and they added board play but it basically feels like 09

Wow, I couldn't disagree more, and I haven't even tried 'hardcore' mode with the manual passing.

The game feels very different, with a slower pace, no more end-to-end track meet stuff, better dump ins with the RB+R-stick, more difference among players' ability (and again, without trying hardcore mode yet), the ability to use the boards in passing, less accurate passing (I haven't tried manual passing yet), more goalie animations and more aggressive AI goalie behavior behind the goal, and of course the biggest addition of them all, real board play with pinning and the ability to kick-pass the puck along the boards, which hasn't been in an EA NHL game since. . . . never. That one addition itself adds a whole new element to dump and chase, in that you can actually do it meaningfully.

It sure doesn't feel like the same to me, and I was playing some OTP online in NHL09 just a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
NHL09 is to hockey what COD4 is to shooters. I didn't play the demo much but just crossed my fingers that they didn't mess with what as great about 09.

I like using the analog sticks to fight instead of button mashing but hope games don't get bogged down online. Along the boards is an interestig touch. This game will run deep for those who want to invest a lot of time. Looking forward to mp.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I thought the addition of using the boards was awesome (why wasn't this done before?).

I picked this up for the PS3 last year because that's all a good friend of mine had at the time and I wanted to play with him, but because that game was plagued with voice chat and connection issues I'll be getting this on the 360 this year.

My only concern is the fighting. I hope the online doesn't turn into nothing but fights from people mashing "Y." Hopefully EA thought of that and only limits a team to starting fights maybe twice in a game.

·
Registered
728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarlp /forum/post/17041981

I thought the addition of using the boards was awesome (why wasn't this done before?).

I picked this up for the PS3 last year because that's all a good friend of mine had at the time and I wanted to play with him, but because that game was plagued with voice chat and connection issues I'll be getting this on the 360 this year.

My only concern is the fighting. I hope the online doesn't turn into nothing but fights from people mashing "Y." Hopefully EA thought of that and only limits a team to starting fights maybe twice in a game.

The boards stuff has been done before, it started in NHL 2k3. So does this version allow you to use an alternate configuration besides the shot stick? I wanted to get last years version but the config's not using the shot stick were missing buttons and features (lame). I know people will say that the shot stick is awesome, but I generally dislike any forced use of the right analog stick where it isn't really necessary (i.e. Halo I expect to use it, sports games I'd rather not).

Taylor34

·
Registered
320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor34 /forum/post/17045754

The boards stuff has been done before, it started in NHL 2k3. So does this version allow you to use an alternate configuration besides the shot stick? I wanted to get last years version but the config's not using the shot stick were missing buttons and features (lame). I know people will say that the shot stick is awesome, but I generally dislike any forced use of the right analog stick where it isn't really necessary (i.e. Halo I expect to use it, sports games I'd rather not).

Taylor34

I'm pretty sure 09 had the option to use the '94 control scheme. wouldn't doubt for 10 to have it also. But if you aren't playing this game with the sticks you are really really missing out. It feels very natural for this game

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I don't mind the stick controls for shooting, deking and I really think it adds a lot to first person fighting, but I think it complicates the process of aiming a shot. Then again, I don't score very much.

·
Registered
728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck-a-sauras /forum/post/17052409

I'm pretty sure 09 had the option to use the '94 control scheme. wouldn't doubt for 10 to have it also. But if you aren't playing this game with the sticks you are really really missing out. It feels very natural for this game

It did have the '94 control scheme. But it was missing buttons for a lot of options, which was really lame. So my choices were a) play with buttons but not be able to do have the available options or b) play with the shot stick. I tried using the shot stick, it just seems clumsy and useless to me. I can see where other people might like it, but I'd rather just press a button and shoot.

Taylor34

·
Registered
84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueCrew /forum/post/17052617

I don't mind the stick controls for shooting, deking and I really think it adds a lot to first person fighting, but I think it complicates the process of aiming a shot. Then again, I don't score very much.

I don't have the demo yet, but in NHL 09, there is an option for Shot Aim being : Manual or Auto. On Manual, you use the left stick to aim the shot anyways, which shouldn't be very difficult. The Right stick is just for deking, and shooting (with the puck).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts