AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I downloaded the NHL 12 demo last night and liked it a lot. It plays a lot like 11 of course, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing to me. Here are some of my quick impressions.

Pros:

1) Love the way the puck bounces around now. Much more lively and unpredictable. It will roll on it's side and bounce over sticks. It also doesn't seem to be sucked into a player's stick as bad as in the past.

2) Checking seems more realistic and varied. You seem to bounce off more checks when you play as a smaller forward. It's not always a huge hit. Sometimes you'll hit someone and both players will fall down.

3) Slap shots seem to have some power and oomph behind them now. I think a lot of this has to do with the new sound it makes. Shea Webber and Zdeno Charra's slap shots sound nasty.

4) AI is smarter. I like to play Be A Pro as a RW grinder/power forward. I love screening the goalie and deflecting shots. This was almost impossible last year because your teamates almost never shot the puck without you calling for it. They now seem to be smart enough to cycle the puck and shoot when they have an open lane. Add this to the realistic puck physics and I think I'll have a lot of fun grinding this year.

5) Throwing a hard pass across the front of the net and through traffic seems a little more realistic now. Last year, most of the time the pass would just stick to the first defenders stick it went by. Now it is more likely to be deflected by the defenders stick and bounce around there in front of the net which causes some chaos. That is exactly what should happen most of the time.

Neutral:

1) The front of the net play that has been touted as a big enhancement isn't really effective. I think this could be improved with some tweaks before the game is released.

2) They kept talking about running the goalies, but in my experience so far there seems to be a magical barrier around the crease most of the time during play. As soon as the plays over have at it. Hopefully this can also be tweaked because I'd like to see people bumping the goalie more when they are fighting for position in front of the net.

3) They slowed the game down immensely. This is going as a neutral for now because I think they slowed it a little too much. If they speed it up or slow it down before launch this could move to a positive or negative.

Negatives:

1) fighting still sucks

2) I don't know how many times I checked a guy into the bench. It's a cool animation, but it shouldn't happen 3 or 4 times a game.

3) Hip checks are still ridiculously overpowered. There is nothing better in hockey than a good hip check. But when you can hip check a guy by barely clipping the back of his leg as he skates by and he goes flying into the air, something is a little off. Hopefully this can be tuned before release as it seems to be even worse than it was last year.

So what are all of your impressions? Excited about the game in general?

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I played a quick game this morning and have to agree with your initial impressions - love the way the puck bounces and the new checking animations. One thing I noticed is that it seems a lot faster paced than last years game. I'm not sure if it is a setting or not, but the game definitely moved faster on default settings compared to '11.

My only disappointment is that a Bruin didn't make the cover.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It isn't much different than last years game to me. That the puck bounces more randomly is nice though. Seems like another roster update overall. They should just charge 1200 points for the roster download.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I played the demo last night and from what I've seen I like. I am a huge NHL fan but our club gave up on 11 because of all the cheating online. I am hoping they have fixed this but I have my doubts.

It did feel slower to me than the previous games and that is a good thing. I also liked the puck physics. Shots seemed much harder in this game. Hitting is toned down.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Just played the demo and I think I need to get back into the hockey games. I skipped 11 so not sure what was added last year or this year but I do know I liked it. My highlight was I lost my stick and I tried skating over it to see if he would pick it up and he never did so I went to the bench and a teammate is holding one out for me to pick up. I thought that was a cool feature.

I do remember in 10 I was a great goalie. I once went 6 straight games without allowing a goal. Hopefully I can get back to my old self. Maybe I can play with some of you on here.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins /forum/post/20866622

Just played the demo and I think I need to get back into the hockey games. I skipped 11 so not sure what was added last year or this year but I do know I liked it. My highlight was I lost my stick and I tried skating over it to see if he would pick it up and he never did so I went to the bench and a teammate is holding one out for me to pick up. I thought that was a cool feature.

I do remember in 10 I was a great goalie. I once went 6 straight games without allowing a goal. Hopefully I can get back to my old self. Maybe I can play with some of you on here.

Your stick might have been broken. Normally if you just drop your stick, you can skate over it to automatically pick it back up.

I like that the net can be knocked off now, as can helmets. I also enjoy the way the puck behaves, and how slapshots are now a little easier to disrupt.

The fighting is exactly the same as it was, but now you can have goalie fights...*yawn*. It's a pretty pointless addition.

Anyway, I'll certainly buy the game, as I do every year.

·
Registered
364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noose /forum/post/20861892

It isn't much different than last years game to me. That the puck bounces more randomly is nice though. Seems like another roster update overall. They should just charge 1200 points for the roster download.

Yea the changes are decent but it isnt worth a new game purchase price. Ill be happy with my NHL 11 for awhile yet.

·
Registered
8,395 Posts
I hate the hitting. I like the puck bounces and that part of it. The slapshot 1 timers are still good, passing seems to be a bit better but al always the computer is a freaking hoover when it comes to pucks anywhere near them. They never miss a puck if it's within 2 stick lengths, same as last year.

The psychics for hitting are a good idea but it need some refinement. There is no feel to rocking a fool. I mean if Chara is coming at full speed and Kessler is skating right at me and i hit him straight on at full speed, how does chara bounce off??? Kessler would be dead. I found that happening WAY to often for my taste.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG /forum/post/20886839

I hate the hitting. I like the puck bounces and that part of it. The slapshot 1 timers are still good, passing seems to be a bit better but al always the computer is a freaking hoover when it comes to pucks anywhere near them. They never miss a puck if it's within 2 stick lengths, same as last year.

The psychics for hitting are a good idea but it need some refinement. There is no feel to rocking a fool. I mean if Chara is coming at full speed and Kessler is skating right at me and i hit him straight on at full speed, how does chara bounce off??? Kessler would be dead. I found that happening WAY to often for my taste.

Hopefully that's the kind of thing that the sliders or a tuner set will fix. The NHL team seem to be real good about putting out a bunch of tuner sets to fix things like that. I'd like the body checking turned up a bit and the hip checking turned way down.

·
Registered
8,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 /forum/post/20888214

Hopefully that's the kind of thing that the sliders or a tuner set will fix. The NHL team seem to be real good about putting out a bunch of tuner sets to fix things like that. I'd like the body checking turned up a bit and the hip checking turned way down.

Very true for the SP game but I only play MP. With MP, we are at the mercy of EA lol

·
Registered
439 Posts
Disclaimer: I dont nor have I ever played or watch hockey. I do however play nhl11 as it's the best sports game (not saying a whole lot) from ea.

Our eashl team went 105 and 30 last season which, for 3 dudes who are all in the same boat above, wasn't too shabby. We do not do that boost glitch either. Nor do we quit games in which our opponents are higher rated.

The 12demo was a big let down. Dekeing seems to cause you to come to a near dead stop. The hitting was so random I stopped doing it as it didn't reward you to keep trying. Wrist shots were useless in most cases. This is a major change from nhl11. Better goalie interaction was enjoyed. I didn't notice puck movement being changed drastically but the players do move differently which is fine.

NHL11 is not with it's many many many faults. Computer player handicapping system is outrageous sometimes. Server punting us out from time to time is annoying. The general UI and menu system is laughably horrible. No policing for boost glitch. No penalty for quitting games. This is a big bone of contention for me. If you quit within the first 3minutes over and over, you should be punished. Period. Halo reach does this.

I haven't heard much about eashl for 12 but that is all I play. Even with the hitting being off and the other few things, if they can fix a few of my gripes about 11, I'll likely buy it. If they can't, I will sit this one out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.