AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today the commissioner of the NHL was interviewed on the Mitch Albom radio show. Mitch asked him about glowing pucks (ha ha) and then asked about new technology and hockey.

The commissioner responded with an absolutely glowing report of how HDTV is going to revolutionize watching hockey on TV. He said all the right things and Mitch said he guessed it was time to buy an HDTV.

Of course he could not say how much it stinks that ABC is not broadcasting in HDTV. Based on what he said I am sure that this is what he thinks but of course he has to be diplomatic.

To me this offers hope that we will see NHL playoff hockey in the near future in HDTV.

·
Premium Member
Sony XBR-65A1E, Denon 3400, B&W
965 Posts
Do you think he's been watching hockey on HDNet? :D Mark Cuban should be grinning from ear to ear when he hears this.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
This only offers hope IF the NHL actually does anything to get HD hockey going a lot more! He can talk all day about how good it is but unless they actually make the move towards HD it will be only that...talk!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Gary Bettman has been yapping for years now about how wonderful HDTV is and how it's going to revolutionize interest in hockey. After all the talk we're still seeing the Stanley Cup finals in glorious 480i SD. It's time for the NHL to stop talking and start applying pressure to ABC/ESPN (or whoever gets the next contract) in order to get HD hockey going. Given the current dismal TV ratings for hockey what has the NHL got to lose in insisting that their product be presented in the best manner possible? I for one would pay a sizable premium for an HD version of the NHL Center Ice package. Perhaps the NHL can work a deal with Mark Cuban and help make this a reality.

·
Registered
221 Posts
He said the same thing last year during the Cup, when the AVS won. It was in an interview on TV, but alas the NHL doesn't have the clout to force ABC/ESPN to actually do anything about it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The Rangers home games [i think Islanders and Devils also] have been in HD for 3 years now. Problem is, very few people have a cable co. that carries it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
And that is the problem !

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom B
The Rangers home games [i think Islanders and Devils also] have been in HD for 3 years now. Problem is, very few people have a cable co. that carries it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
One of the reasons I bought my HDTV way back when was to watch HD NY Rangers games. I saw the demos of it and had to have it. I should have done more research since it turns out that there is no way for me to see it. I cry every time I see the stupid HDTV message on Rangers broadcasts.

I think there should be separate contracts for SD and HD. If the people who win the SD contract can't or won't provide HD then it's still available to somone who can and will. If they are really worried about loosing viewers to HD then perhaps they should go ahead and make it available.

-Greg

·
Registered
24 Posts
ABC will definitely broadcast the Superbowl and NBA Finals in HDTV in 2003. The Stanley Cup Finals will have a chance for HDTV if ABC can come through with 2 production trucks as their is a conflict with the NBA. ABC is currently working with a sponsor to help cover many of the HDTV costs for next year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.