AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that might be interersted, the schedule of NHL games on HDNET is posted through Dec. 30th on NHL.COM. The first game is Oct. 10th with the Blackhawks playing the Avalanche. There are 30 games scheduled in the first 3 months with most on Tuesdays and Fridays. I can't wait to watch the NHL in high def.!! Now if ESPN-HD could actually show a few games.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Good find! Will be great to see the Wild. Does anyone know whether there are blackout rules in local markets?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MnGuy
Good find! Will be great to see the Wild. Does anyone know whether there are blackout rules in local markets?
My guess is there will be, they used to get around that by co-producing the games with the local Fox Sports but I think that they will now fully produce the games.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Wow, this is a massive diversion from last year's schedule.

Way to go guys!!!!!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Only two Avs games? Must be a friggin dozen Predator or Wild games though. Any guesses on how the selection process occurs?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
At least a couple of factors:

* arena must be wired for HD

* teams must allow HDNet to show the game (I suspect this is why there's limited Wings/Rangers/Flyers/big $$$ games)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Awesome. This is the only reason I've been hanging on to the HD package. Unfortunately I don't get home from work until 6 pacific, so I'll miss parts of those early games. But there is no better way to watch a hockey game than in HD... Can't wait!!!

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
No Washington Capitals games. I guess Comcast Sports Net-HD has all of the local games locked up. But I'm surprised there aren't any away games here.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
i see a few hawks games on the schedule...too bad comcast's not carrying HDNET...yet

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Sweet...3 Blue Jackets games and none of the ones I already have tickets for.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Hot Damn! FINALLY some Blackhawk games in HD! I was starting to think the scumbag owner Wirtz was holding out for some big buck before he let the Hawks be on HDNet.

Geez Blackhawk games in HD... ALL the Wolves games on TV (on Comcast cable). This is looking like a good year of Hockey watching!

Are there blackout rules for hockey games on HDNet?

Also is ESPN doing NHL games in HD?

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Dec 27, 2003 Predators 0 Coyotes 0 9:00 PM ET HDNet

I will be there live in person. do i dare wear an HDNet shirt just to get on hdtv? ;)

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankS
Are there blackout rules for hockey games on HDNet?

Also is ESPN doing NHL games in HD?
The past two years, there haven't been any blackout restrictions. No one has said if that will be the case this year.

ESPN/ABC typically isn't even aware that the NHL season has started until after the all-star game. I wouldn't expect to see anything on ESPN-HD until then.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Official press release from nhl.com

http://nhl.com/onthefly/news/2003/09/151698.html

Quote:
NHL & HDNet announce 2003-04 HDTV schedule

NEW YORK and DALLAS - The National Hockey League and HDNet have released the first half of a live NHL on HDNet 2003-04 schedule of high definition television (HDTV) broadcasts, highlighted by NHL action every Tuesday and Friday night. The 65-game schedule of NHL on HDNet coverage begins Friday, Oct. 10 at 9 p.m. (ET) with the Colorado Avalanche hosting the Chicago Blackhawks.

Under the multi-year partnership, NHL games will be telecast on HDNet networks on DIRECTV, DISH Network, Charter Communications, Insight Communications, cable companies affiliated with the National Cable Television Cooperative (NCTC), and other distributors that affiliate with HDNet in the future.

All NHL on HDNet broadcasts will be original HDNet productions, using HDNet's HD mobile production units and with HDNet announcers and graphics. HDNet's NHL game broadcasts are shot exclusively for presentation in the highest-quality 1080i high-definition format, giving viewers all the benefits of a 16:9 aspect ratio and high resolution picture without compromising the image to serve a standard-definition, 4:3 broadcast audience.

"Our third season with HDNet will allow even more people to witness first-hand the amazing experience of NHL hockey in high-definition," said Jon Litner, NHL Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer. "HDNet continues to be a leader in the high-definition world and we're pleased to have been there from the beginning as the first major sports league to have partnered with the only all high-definition network."

"We are excited about our continuing partnership with the NHL," said Mark Cuban, co-founder and president of HDNet. "The 2003-04 season of original HDNet productions includes coverage of more teams than in the past, extending our NHL in HD viewership to an even broader fan base."

Jack Edwards will be calling the play-by-play action for the games. Throughout his 24-year career in sportscasting, Edwards has called more than 250 play-by-play events for ESPN and ABC, including NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs, Major League Soccer, the Olympic Games and the Little League World Series, and served as an anchor for Sportscenter for eight years.

"HDNet is achieving, with every minute of every programming day, a level of quality that no one else can match," said Edwards. "When you watch a hockey game in HD, the phenomenal detail makes you keenly aware that every skate blade has two edges, because you can see the players slicing ice when they cut and turn. To be able to call NHL games on HDNet is one of the most gratifying thrills of my career."

The live broadcast schedule through Dec. 30 is listed below (all times are Eastern). A complete schedule of programming, including encore presentations and additional games as scheduled, is available at www.hd.net or at www.nhl.com.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.