AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, our local EB's did not get theirs yet, they will be in tomorrow. This is the biggest gaming release of the year for me. I plan to get it for Xbox, can anyone give me a comparison between Xbox and PS2 for this one, the only advantage to getting it for PS2 is that up to 8 controllers at once can be plugged in. Does anyone have any reviews on this game yet? And tell me, does it support 16x9 properly (ie, full 16x9 screen fill, not just stretched) That would also help as a deciding feature between Xbox and PS2 if they are different in the screen size capabilities. Also, what about Xbox live, I know that PS2 claims that all EA sports games will be online capable on the Playstation. I cant wait to pick this up tomorrow. Any reviews would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to the guy I talked to, they expected to receive it today, but the shipper didnt get it on the plane in time, he assured me it would be there tomorrow. I did some checking at easports.com and the PS2 seesm to be the only one that can play online. Seems strange when M$ is driving Xbox live so hard that they wouldnt try to get this title live enabled. Must EA issue that prevented it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don't know about the 16:9 support or multiplayer features of the Xbox version (compared to the 8 player capabilities of the PS 2 version) of NHL 2004, but concerning online play, you will not get it with the Xbox Live service because of EA's online exclusivity to Sony. From what I understand, EA now has a service fee for online play of their 2004 sports titles. It is because of this greed that you go buy ESPN NHL Hockey for Xbox because you get a great game with free downloads and updates ;)

Haha, just kidding!!! I love both EA and Sega sports titles, so that is why I purchase both :D

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Warren_G
According to the guy I talked to, they expected to receive it today, but the shipper didnt get it on the plane in time
I've never known the EB web site to be wrong, and I've never known an EB employee to be correct.

Quote:
Originally posted by DTSfreak

From what I understand, EA now has a service fee (in addition to the cost of the game itself) that is to be paid for online play.
This is incorrect, but may be true in the future. As of now, EA is not charging a fee. I do expect this to change as soon as next year.

·
Registered
181 Posts
No fee yet for EA Sports, but it's probably just a matter of time; of course then they'll see the numbres go way down, much as the Sims Live has been a bust from an on-line revenue generation standpoint.

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
Yep....no online fees yet from EA as I was just playing Madden 2004 a few days ago. EA and M$ both want to do the same thing which is to have complete control over the online services. EA doesn't like XBOX LIve as they want to make the money off of their games being online and with XBOX Live M$ would be the ones making the money.

Eventually EA will charge money for their online games, but I don't see that happening until the next generation of consoles comes out. EA just wants to wet people's appetites for now.

One thing is for sure though, Madden 2004 online kicks butt. The voice chat is awesome and the game has very little lag and plays great.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Even if it's out now or next week, thanks for the heads up. I've played NHL since 94 and I'm a fan. But this year I haven't seen ads or previews or anything and almost forgot about it. :)

:D

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Andrew, I had my doubts as well, but I am holding my copy right now. I just have 4 1/2 more hours of work before I get to go home and play it. I am not sure if I can make it.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
4 hours 15 minutes and counting. This is really killing me ;)

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Warren_G
Hey Andrew, I had my doubts as well, but I am holding my copy right now. I just have 4 1/2 more hours of work before I get to go home and play it. I am not sure if I can make it.
Well I'll be damned. Although I can't see why you would pass up ESPN Hockey for NHL 2004.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Read the thread about ESPN and check out some gaming boards. No widescreen support, no dolby surround, and its buggy as all hell from what I've heard. I'll take Dynasy mode in NHL 2004 over ESPN any day.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JB Ahlfors
Read the thread about ESPN and check out some gaming boards. No widescreen support, no dolby surround, and its buggy as all hell from what I've heard. I'll take Dynasy mode in NHL 2004 over ESPN any day.
But ESPN simulates the game of hockey and not pong. Every review I've read of ESPN Hockey has stated that it's the best hockey game ever, bar none, period. Early reviews of NHL 2004 at the Thunderpuck board are not very promising.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Early opinions:

This game rocks! I have to say that it seems they did listen to the fan feedback about the things that many seemed to hate in NHL2003. The game is much more back to good old hockey, less attention is paid to the big hits, and breaking glass, etc. My only beef so far is the control scheme used on the Xbox is so different from the PS2 that I am having a hard time getting used to it, for instance, on the Xbox, the shoot button is where the speed burst is on PS2, so every time I get the puck, I end up shooting it all the way down the ice when I am just trying to speed up. I know I could change all the controls, but we play at several peoples houses and it is just easier to learn to master the default controls. The other minor disappointment is that the color commentary is not as funny as it has been in the past, but thats pretty insignifigant to the excellent play of this game. Gotta go and play now...:D

·
Registered
159 Posts
I checked it out for the PC on the weekend and... damn. I believe I read somewhere that they rewrote the engine from scratch and you can tell. The gameplay is pretty tight with a lot more board action than before (holding on the boards, passing off the boards...). The models look like they have less polys but the textures look more detailed. And it looks like the entire crowd is 3D.

The only problem I had was that it rebooted my PC a few times in the middle of a game. I'm gonna check out the GameCube version to see how that plays.

I agree with the commentary comment. It's a bit toned down but still ok.

And I'm not sure if I like the PC version's menus done in Macromedia Flash... kind of annoying.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.