AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm new here looking for help on a speaker decesion. I've narrowed my choices to these 2 speakers. It will mainly be used for movies/tv viewing. The room is an open loft on the 2nd floor which is open to the 1st floor. Seating is about 10'-12' away. The speakers will be on a cabinet/shelf (11"h x 17"w x 20"d)

I know the s30 is ported and AZ sealed, is one better than the other since they will be on a shelf. This will be for a 5.1 movie set up.

If I need to provide more info let me know, i'm still new to this. Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
The s30 gets my vote but I'm biased. I've never listened to the AZ.

Just make sure the s30 is positioned at least 12" away from the wall or flushed with the front of the cabinet. Also put some rubber feet towards the front, bottom of the speakers to tilt them upwards since the cabinet/shelf is low.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! I've actually been reading that thread and leaning towards the S30. Just getting last minute options. What concerns me is the port in the rear of the S30.

What are the pros and cons for ported vs sealed in bookshelf speakers?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 702prodigy /forum/post/20843152

Rear-ported won't sound good if placed too close to a wall. Sealed and front-ported and generally OK.

·
Registered
20,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 702prodigy /forum/post/20843152

Thanks for the replies! I've actually been reading that thread and leaning towards the S30. Just getting last minute options. What concerns me is the port in the rear of the S30.

If you read the thread - you know my vote. If the Cambridge has around

12" from the back wall - you will be OK. Also, make sure they have a little

room to the left and right of the speaker.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
In the thread mentioned... I posted that I prefer the AZ... but I'd still argue the S30 is a better value, especially at the current pricing of each option. I also think the S30 would be a better option for your room size and listening distance... IF you can put it on stands way from the rear wall as zieglj01 recommended...

It's easier to drive and holds its composure better at higher volume, but it really does best with a little space behind it...

Is the shelf enclosed, or is it an open shelf?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alphaiii, The price of the S30 is a really big factor. I saw your posts in the NHT thread considering the price/value of the AZ compared to similar priced bookshelf speakers.

The shelf is enclosed that measures 11"h x 17"w x 20"d

·
Registered
20,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 702prodigy /forum/post/20844641

The price of the S30 is a really big factor.

The shelf is enclosed that measures 11"h x 17"w x 20"d

It is 20" deep - however, if you buy them - put some acoustic foam inside

the shelf against the back wall, and some to the sides of the walls behind

the speaker. Also, place bumper feet under the speakers. The Cambridge

and NHT will sound better off the shelf - the imaging and soundstage, will

be limited on the shelves.

The 30 day trial period will be important, concerning this set up.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
There was a time when the NHT Absolute Zero was the best there was at its size...everybody else has caught up. It is still a good choice though.

There is a reason you hardly ever find the AZ on the used market.

Right now, there are NO used AZ's on Audiogon or Ebay...

Of all the Zero's (available since 1989), right now via Audiogon and Ebay, there are only two pairs(same guy selling both) of Super Zero's. That tells you something.

Not that I'm trying to dissuade you from the Cam S30.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Is the quality the same on the NHTs since the company got acquired?

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
As far as I know, yes.

If we as consumers were ever worried about companies that were ever "acquired" by someone else, we'd have darn near nothing to ever buy.

NHT fell back and "punted" like BIC did 15 years ago. Polk is now doing and Martin Logan will probably be doing as well(since the ML Magnolia marriage has done nothing but alienate ML's consumers)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.