AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hey guys any input on these two? I have heard the Dali's they sounded good, maybe lacking a little down low. Wondering which one would be more neutral. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
I haven't listen to both ,did you check their measurements ?that can help you choose.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Measurements as in enclosures/driver size? The specs I'm aware. I guess I'm trying to find out which are more musical, less tiring on the ear.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
NHT Absolute Zero

Dali Zensor one

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore  /t/1526032/nht-absolute-zero-or-dali-zensor-one#post_24573935

NHT Absolute Zero

Dali Zensor one

Thanks a lot for the information. I'm not sure how to interpret these, would you be able to give me your feedback based on these graphs? I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmc86  /t/1526032/nht-absolute-zero-or-dali-zensor-one#post_24573367

Hey guys any input on these two? I have heard the Dali's they sounded good, maybe lacking a little down low.

If you are worried about the bass extension, the Absolute Zero is not the speaker for you, unless you are going to buy a sub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmc86  /t/1526032/nht-absolute-zero-or-dali-zensor-one#post_24573842

I guess I'm trying to find out which are more musical, less tiring on the ear.

Well, how musical they will sound is very much a personal thing. Kind of hard for someone else to say what will suit you when speakers are both good speakers.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1526032/nht-absolute-zero-or-dali-zensor-one#post_24575844

If you are worried about the bass extension, the Absolute Zero is not the speaker for you, unless you are going to buy a sub.
The same issue exists for every other speaker that size. There's a tradeoff between size and ability to produce bass.

So knowing that, jpmc86, you may want to describe your budget and how you plan to use the speakers, if you want input on how to make that tradeoff.

The not flat frequency response shows a dip in the midrange for the Dali in the graph above, which means it's not neutral.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/dali-zensor-1-loudspeaker

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_  /t/1526032/nht-absolute-zero-or-dali-zensor-one#post_24575937

The same issue exists for every other speaker that size. There's a tradeoff between size and ability to produce bass.

Well, according to the frequency response charts above, the Dali Zensor clearly has better bass extension, so I don't why you would make a generalization that is already been disproven by a cited example. From the articles that has the measurements, the NHT :
Quote:
The –3-dB point is at 83 Hz, and the –6-dB point is at 72 Hz
The Dali :
Quote:
The Zensor 1 appears to be flat down to the upper bass, with then the usual 24dB/octave reflex rolloff giving a response down by 6dB at the port tuning frequency of 55Hz.

That's a good bit of difference.

More accurately, the difference between the two is best attributed to the sealed design of the NHT and the ported design of the Dali (both have the same size driver). The sealed has a higher tuning point, which is often the case with sealed vs. ported speaker designs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_  /t/1526032/nht-absolute-zero-or-dali-zensor-one#post_24575937

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1526032/nht-absolute-zero-or-dali-zensor-one#post_24575844

So knowing that, jpmc86, you may want to describe your budget and how you plan to use the speakers, if you want input on how to make that tradeoff.

The not flat frequency response shows a dip in the midrange for the Dali in the graph above, which means it's not neutral.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/dali-zensor-1-loudspeaker

Thanks for Info bud. I'm definitely not worried about the bass extension. At the moment I don't plan on adding a sub for now. In the future I definitely want a sub, but I can't because of funds.

I'm looking for as accurate as speaker I can find, obviously with the budget of these speakers. I plan on pairing these to a music hall a15.3.

I heard this amp with the dali's this weekend, very nice sound. A little forward IMO, maybe a tad bright. But I wouldn't say tiring. Very impressed with this integrated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1526032/nht-absolute-zero-or-dali-zensor-one#post_24576275

Quote:

Well, according to the frequency response charts above, the Dali Zensor clearly has better bass extension, so I don't why you would make a generalization that is already been disproven by a cited example. From the articles that has the measurements, the NHT :
Quote:
The –3-dB point is at 83 Hz, and the –6-dB point is at 72 Hz
The Dali :
Quote:
The Zensor 1 appears to be flat down to the upper bass, with then the usual 24dB/octave reflex rolloff giving a response down by 6dB at the port tuning frequency of 55Hz.

That's a good bit of difference.

More accurately, the difference between the two is best attributed to the sealed design of the NHT and the ported design of the Dali (both have the same size driver). The sealed has a higher tuning point, which is often the case with sealed vs. ported speaker designs.

You mention since it doesn't have a ported design the sealed has a higher tuning point. What does this refer to? And what's the benefit to this?

Thanks for the time to answer my questions.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_  /t/1526032/nht-absolute-zero-or-dali-zensor-one#post_24576820

cel4145, I'd forgotten about this side of your forum personality.

Well, we aren't hear to talk about me. Do you have something to say regarding speakers?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
The Absolute Zero is incredibly accurate, as you can see from the graph, it is very flat and measures +0.94/–0.82 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. You will be hard pressed to find something more accurate without spending big bucks on studio monitors. As has been mentioned, because this is a sealed speaker, it will not have as much bass extension as a ported speaker and definitely could use a sub in the future.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1526032/nht-absolute-zero-or-dali-zensor-one#post_24577566

The Absolute Zero is incredibly accurate, as you can see from the graph, it is very flat and measures +0.94/–0.82 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. You will be hard pressed to find something more accurate without spending big bucks on studio monitors. As has been mentioned, because this is a sealed speaker, it will not have as much bass extension as a ported speaker and definitely could use a sub in the future.
Thanks for the information. I found a really good deal on a pair of these locally and I picked them up. I haven't been able to test them since I do not have my integrated amp yet. I plan to add a sub in  a distant future. Any ideas as to what subwoofer might be able to compliment these nicely without spending lots? I plan on using these strictly for stereo music. 

On another note, they are incredibly small, a little smaller than the Zensor ones I saw over the weekend. I assume this is because they are a non ported enclosure?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmc86  /t/1526032/nht-absolute-zero-or-dali-zensor-one#post_24578999

Thanks for the information. I found a really good deal on a pair of these locally and I picked them up. I haven't been able to test them since I do not have my integrated amp yet. I plan to add a sub in  a distant future. Any ideas as to what subwoofer might be able to compliment these nicely without spending lots? I plan on using these strictly for stereo music. 

On another note, they are incredibly small, a little smaller than the Zensor ones I saw over the weekend. I assume this is because they are a non ported enclosure?

Good choice! I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy them. As for a sub, it depends on your budget. The SVS SB-1000 would be a fantastic choice for music, it is very accurate and has a built in 80Hz high-pass filter so it will blend with the AZ's well if your integrated doesn't have bass management.

And yes they are compact due to the sealed enclosure, and not being asked to play much below 100Hz.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1526032/nht-absolute-zero-or-dali-zensor-one#post_24579028

Good choice! I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy them. As for a sub, it depends on your budget. The SVS SB-1000 would be a fantastic choice for music, it is very accurate and has a built in 80Hz high-pass filter so it will blend with the AZ's well if your integrated doesn't have bass management.

And yes they are compact due to the sealed enclosure, and not being asked to play much below 100Hz.

I was looking at that one and the ported one and was wondering which one would be best for music. The ported or non ported?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmc86  /t/1526032/nht-absolute-zero-or-dali-zensor-one#post_24579074

I was looking at that one and the ported one and was wondering which one would be best for music. The ported or non ported?

The sealed variant will probably be a little more articulate and better suited for music. The ported variant is going to have higher output, mainly at the low end where it will be more suited for movies. Either sub is a fine choice, but for a music only system, I would go with the SB-1000. If you want to step up, the SB-2000 is a very nice upgrade.

·
Registered
19,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmc86  /t/1526032/nht-absolute-zero-or-dali-zensor-one#post_24579074

I would go for the sealed

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore  /t/1526032/nht-absolute-zero-or-dali-zensor-one#post_24579456

what type of music you listen ?
Usually jazz, some rock and every now and then some lounge music. 

1 - 20 of 33 Posts