AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've asked this question before, but I have to make a decision in the next couple days. I can get either a used NHT power5 or a new Emotiva XPA-5 for the same price. It's actually for my uncle, but I promised to help him pick out all his gear (he doesnt have the time to do the research). I read that the emotiva puts out 275 watts when only driving 2 speakers. Does the NHT do this too? The gallo's like power and are rated at 350watts a channel.

These are the 2 amps he has narrowed it down to. He said he MAY buy a 2 or 3 channel amp to run the front end (gallo 3.1's and center) and use whatever 5 channel amp he decides on to run the rest of the channels, in the future. The used NHT is the lowest price I have ever seen it for, and im not sure I will see one as cheap again anytime soon. But if one is not "better" than the other I am sure he would rather have the new amp that is returnable and has a 5 year warranty (emotiva). Which would you choose?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Not sure why you started another thread? You could just post to the end of the other thread you started. If the NHT uses a shared power supply, it's two channel power should be more than it's 5 channel power.

Here's some benchmark numbers for the NHT amp -

http://www.hometheatermag.com/comple...ht/index4.html

·
Answer Seeking / Sharing
NHT, PSA, Denon, Emotiva, Niles, Sony, Oppo, Roku, Alienware, Mac, Rega, Akai, Parasound, Nakamichi
2,004 Posts
Both great amps with different designs. Emotiva uses standard amp topology with high quality parts and the NHT uses ICE amps form B&O. Emotiva weighs twice as much and runs hotter. The NHT is light and cool running. I've heard both (friends of mine have both, I opted for the NHT). I really couldn't hear a difference, I think they are both great amps with different philosophies of getting the end result. There is really no significant difference on actual output. NHT has better S/N ration (112db vs 100), not that you'll be able to tell the difference. It may come down to preference on asthetics (which one does he thinks looks better). Sorry not much help here since I like both versions. I chose mine due to weight/asthetics/ and cool running factor (is in a rack).

Ray

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon /forum/post/16976855

Emotiva weighs twice as much and runs hotter. The NHT is light and cool running.

The Emo amps don't run hot IME, never more than warm to the touch. But they might be less suitable for an enclosed environment. They do definitely weigh a lot more and the ICE power amps are more efficient than the Class A/B amps like the Emo. So your power bill might be a bit lighter.

But under most listening conditions people are rarely using more than a couple of watts anyway. So that's not likely to be a big factor.

·
Answer Seeking / Sharing
NHT, PSA, Denon, Emotiva, Niles, Sony, Oppo, Roku, Alienware, Mac, Rega, Akai, Parasound, Nakamichi
2,004 Posts
Agreed, most will never use more than 5w/ch under normal listening conditions and would not make a difference. I have a good friend (actually a couple) that have Emotivas and they do run a bit warm, but that's under reference level with movies. Again, I think they are both great amps with different philosophies at getting the end result.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts