Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I can't make a decision on which speakers I should get for my HT system. My listening habit is 30% music and 70% movies. So far my choice has come down to

Ascend: CMT340 for main and center, CBM170 surround, and HSU VTF-2 sub

NHT: ST4 main, SC2 center, and SB3 sorround, no sub decision yet

Paradigm: Monitor 7 main, CC-370 and ADP370 sorround and HSU VTF-2

I auditioned both paradigm, and NHT, and felt NHT is so much better in music performance. I have not heard of Ascend, but have seen so many good reviews about them.

Can anyone comment on the music performance of Ascend? Does anyone have recommendations on one over another?

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
If you visit the Ascend forum, you will find that most that did more movies than music end up listening to more and more music than they had in the past after they got their Ascends. Their music performance is excellent.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Can't help you on Ascend, but I demoed NHT, Paradigm, B&W, and Axiom. I preferred Axiom, but would put the others in the following order: NHT, B&W, and then Paradigm.

Randy

Axiom M60's VP150 EP350 4-Qs8's

Denon 2805

Sanyo Z2 Projector

Panasonic S97S HDMI DVD

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paradigm lacks base performance for music. NHT is great because it's 3 way, and the frequency response is from 31Kz to 20Khz. I looked at the Ascend's spec, its frequecy response is from 55kHz-20K. I was worried about the low base sound from music, especially Rock, which I listen to alot.

How's the base performance from ascends for music listening?

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
If you listen to bass heavy music, then integration with a sub is important for the Ascends. You will get that with the Hsu sub you have listed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought using sub is not ideal for listening music. Maybe a dumb questions, How to integrate sub in music listening?

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitelight
NHT: ST4 main, SC2 center, and SB3 sorround, no sub decision yet
They're all good products, so go with what you like.

One thing I suggest, if you're looking in this direction, a better all around system would be to have SB3s (top part of ST4s) with something like dual SW10s or dual SW12s (or their equivalent). What you would be doing is going from, say (2) 8" passive woofers & (1) 10" powered sub to (2) powered 10" or 12" subs. This has quite a few advantages - deeper, better, more effortless bass, less bass cancellation and better integration. Since the SB3 is identical to the top part of the ST4, there is no performance loss, only gains. And, NHT *is* very good at subs, they've been very highly regarded, especially for musical performance, since the original SW2 from 15 or 20 years ago. Many more sub possibilities now, but they are good and always have been.

If the room isn't all that big, you can also do two pairs of ST4s, front and back and then run the rears full range which helps divvy up the bass and avoid stands and extra subs.

I also often recommend to customers to use the SB3 as a center channel because, even on its side because it is better matched, sounds a bit better overall and is less expensive than the SC2, but it is not as low profile. If aesthetics doesn't matter that much, consider the SB3.

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitelight
I thought using sub is not ideal for listening music. Maybe a dumb questions, How to integrate sub in music listening?
Done right, a sub is nothing *but* ideal for listening to music. That's why it's better to spend a little more on bass than what you'd like. A good sub is something you'll never want to turn off. It is good to get a receiver that has good, flexible bass management to help you with this.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I agree with Juan, my Axiom M60's are more than adequate in the bass category, however, when a sub is thrown in the mix, and if you have your crossover settings correct, music can be at a whole new level :)

Randy

Axiom M60's VP150 EP350 4-Qs8's

Denon 2805

Sanyo Z2 Projector

Panasonic S97S HDMI DVD

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang
If you visit the Ascend forum, you will find that most that did more movies than music end up listening to more and more music than they had in the past after they got their Ascends. Their music performance is excellent.

Rarely listened to music with my main HT, nut what you said is dead on. I am now listening to a LOT of music trying to see if I can notice things in the recording I have never heard before.

That is how detailed they are.

I also use a sub with everything,w hy wouldn't you?

I think that nonsense about only using 2 mians with no sub is, well, nonsense :)

Sounds more like ego to me then purism.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.