AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey...

so after some research and listening, I think i'm ready to upgrade to some NHT speakers.

I am thinking I would like the front setup to be a pair of the NHT Three's and the ThreeC center.

I was wondering if for the surrounds / rear speakers would it work out well to use the Absolute Zero or Two's?

I want to end up with a 7.1 but initially it will be a 5.1 setup. It just seems like the Three series speaker would be overkill for this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
725 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_formula /forum/post/16944622

hey...

so after some research and listening, I think i'm ready to upgrade to some NHT speakers.

I am thinking I would like the front setup to be a pair of the NHT Three's and the ThreeC center.

I was wondering if for the surrounds / rear speakers would it work out well to use the Absolute Zero or Two's?

I want to end up with a 7.1 but initially it will be a 5.1 setup. It just seems like the Three series speaker would be overkill for this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

You will be fine. All the ones you listed would be considered timbre matches for the C3. Also surrounds are much less demanding than the front three so you could really go with almost any speaker you want. It is very common for people to use in-wall or in-ceiling speakers of different brands than the front three. You might encounter a difference in sound if you listen to 5ch music but even then it's not that huge of a deal.

·
Registered
720 Posts
If you have the roomfor the bigger set go for it!! Can't hurt!!

·
Registered
720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagul /forum/post/16944668

Congrats on the NHT's those are fantastic speakers

+1

I just upgraded myself to Classic Fours for L/R and will be getting the ThreeC sooner hoefully rather than later. Love them so far for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the support! well i figure from a budget stand point, the absolute zero's for the surrounds would be the best bet, and with my setup the rears are going to be closer to the "audience" then the fronts, so i am hoping i can use those and not sacrifice sound! i guess i could always upgrade later

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ridiculous overkill to use a C3 for surround duty, imo (unless for multi-channel audio). It won't hurt anything but your wallet and your mounting options.

·
Registered
725 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PD50U /forum/post/16944716

Ridiculous overkill to use a C3 for surround duty, imo (unless for multi-channel audio).

Yeah especially when the OP can use the difference in funds to get a better sub or some treatments if he can.

98_formula what sub you planning on getting btw?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i actually already have a sub.. its a Velodyne CT-150 i bought years ago on clearance at Stereo Advantage. Yahama 663 receiver.

i'm changing my setup from a pair of Klipsch RSX-5's and RCX-4 Center... I just wasn't impressed with the Klipsch setup and the speakers aesthetics definitely fall short for me... maybe because I caught a deal on a set of silver speakers and everything I own is black and they really stick out.

For the rears i am / was using Anthony Gallo Nucleus (pre Ti ? series).

I wonder i might be able to still get away with the Anthony Gallo for the rear/surrounds? They definitely are much easier to hide into the room. They were originally my front 3 speakers and I think i enjoyed them more than the Klipsch.

But aside from all that, I'm really looking forward to the NHT's!!!

·
Answer Seeking / Sharing
NHT, PSA, Denon, Emotiva, Niles, Sony, Oppo, Roku, Alienware, Mac, Rega, Akai, Parasound, Nakamichi
2,004 Posts
Great choice in speakers! You could get away with the Anthony Gallo's for the rear, but there would be a timber difference from the NHT's. The Absolute Zero's would be a much better match and are not really that big. Now, if you have a receiver with Audyssey, the timber match would probably be closer.

Have fun with it!!!

Ray

·
Answer Seeking / Sharing
NHT, PSA, Denon, Emotiva, Niles, Sony, Oppo, Roku, Alienware, Mac, Rega, Akai, Parasound, Nakamichi
2,004 Posts
I agree - they do 'disappear' much better due to size, and he already has them, a big plus.

Ray

1 - 14 of 14 Posts