Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone,

Since the old NHT thread is getting too long, and there have been a few immature squabblings among certain NHT owners...

I move to start a totally new NHT thread, for harmonious discussions of all things related to NHT products.

Please everyone, let's keep this thread a happy thread :)

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since in the old thread, we have focused exclusively on individual speakers, I thought it would be nice to open up this new thread with a discussion of NHT hometheater packages, such as the new Super Audio line, or the Evolution line.

We can even talk about the old Superzeroes, and Superones, and how everyone have managed to integrate these into their existeing HT setup.

Pre/pro/amps, what combination work best with what NHT setup, etc.

Where did you get your NHT HT setup from, where are the best places to buy all stuff NHT, be it the speakers themselves or whole packages.

Let's get this rolling people.

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One more thing, just glanced throug the replies each thread has been receiving.

Looks like we have a LOT of NHT enthusiasts on this board. The old NHT thread have generated more reviews than any other thread dealing with other speaker brands, except for that perenial Rocket thread.

So this is one thing we should all be proud of, NHT ROCKS!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well the old thread has gotten me looking at the new Evolution line. I have looked and read all the review I could find on them. I really didn't even know they existed until that thread. I am thinking about getting an M6 to replace my vs-2 for center duty. I know it want match the 2.9's but i feel it will give me Chance to hear this most important part of a HT. if I like this sound and want to move forward with building this system I will then add 2 more M6's with the pedestals for rear surrounds. Then I will replace the 2.9's with the T6's. This way I will have the center and surrounds with in the next 6 months. And the T6's about 6 months later.

I called a place that is about 2.5 hours away that carries NHT and parasound hopping to go and listen to them this weekend. But they don't have any m or T in the store. they are more of a 2 channel store (That is what they said) but they did have the 2 channel Halo preamp on some ML. Not driving over their for that. i am going to cal another place that carries NHT to see if they have them tomorrow.

Allen

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Fourseasons,

Excellent idea. That last thread was getting a little too cutthroat. I bought a set of T5's for front l/r, a M5 center, and some NHT CS 8.3's for rear surround. Along with the NHT A1 amp, I am also using a brand spanking new Pioneer Elite 45TX to power them. Maybe a separate amp sometime in the future.

I bought the speakers at Theatrical Concepts here in the St. Louis area (actually located in Eureka, MO). The guys running the store down there were first-rate, very helpful, and even came out to my house when I had screwed something up. Top notch customer service. I pretty much paid full list for them, but did receive some other goodies at no charge.

I was initially going with the NHT SB-2's for rear surround duty, but it seemed like the 8.3's made a lot more sense with the drop ceiling in my basement. They were very easy to install as well.

I got turned on to NHT from my oldest brother who bought stereo system back in the mid-90's consisting of a Carver Dolby Surround receiver, CD changer, and, yep, some NHT speakers. They were v2.3's. I had them on loan for a while from him, and was picking out some test CD's and DVD's to test speakers with, and it hit me. I really like the sound of these NHT's, so why not see what's out there today. And, the rest is history. Very happy and excited about them. Sorry for the long post, but that's my feel good story for a feel good thread.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I too am in a St Louis suburb and have been running NHT speakers in my HT setup since 1992-VT1 Towers, SW2 sub and NHT One-C center and really like the NHT sound. I bought them at the now defunct St Lous Sound Co along with an $800 Onkyo receiver and also pretty much paid list for the NHTs. Last evening I previewed the latest NHT offerings at Best Sound Co here, the current local dealer. The manager was very knowledgeable and helpful but was not willing to sell NHTs for less than list price.

I'm now looking to replace my Onkyo with the latest technology, probably a Denon 3803. I think I want to buy it from the dealer here for warranty purposes and possible setup questions, but I am tempted to buy new NHT's online as I see large discounts there and I've never needed any warranty work on my older NHT speakers in the eleven years I've owned them. Does anyone have any advice on this issue? Best discount online source for NHT, if that is recommended? Would it be impossible to get repairs done on the NHT's if ever needed, if purchased online? Any better choice to drive the NHTs than the Denon? Love this forum!

·
Registered
35 Posts
OK, I'll chime in. I'm from Millstadt which is near St. Louis and I couldn't find any local store that sold NHT so I bought my speaker set up off the net. I currently run VT2.4s, VS2.4(5), and 2 Sub2i subs. They're currently powered by a Denon 4802 and my dvd player is the Denon 1600. I love the sound of NHT. I was going to go with the Revel performa series until a friend suggested that I check out NHT. I still need a decent tv but I'm gonna wait until fall to decide on a DLP or LCD rptv. After that, I plan on going with a McIntosh 2 channel amp and then a McIntosh 5 channel(if they have one by then, I think they only have a 6 channel out now). After that, I'll replace the Denon with a McIntosh pre/pro. I still plan on moving to Revels at some point but I like the NHTs so much that that will be hard to justify.

Doug

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Tony,

Come on, what's wrong with a little midwest talk? You know I spent about 10 months of my life in Boston last year working on a consulting engagment, and I actually like it a lot up there. Of course, people now accuse me of being from Boston because I started to pick up a little bit of an accent.

Laras,

I don't think dealers are allowed to really move off prices on NHT speakers from what I've seen and heard. Also, I haven't found that much on the internet for buying them as well. I think NHT runs a pretty tight ship when it comes to this. The main reason I can think of for staying with an authorized dealers on the T5/6's is due to the external amp(s) and crossover that comes with them. It's probably more likely that something would go wrong with the electronic piece of the package than the speaker piece of the package. Also, it's a 5 year warranty which gives me a warm fuzzy feeling about the purchase. At the dealer, try to work some other angles instead of price on the NHT's. Maybe your dealer carries a receiver and could do something there for you, or try to get some free cables (speaker wires), or a big discount on something else. If you would like, I can put you into contact with Theatrical Concepts. Just PM me and I can give you my number and we could talk further. Heck, I'll even go down there with you to make the introduction.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think that JandR.com carries a slight amount of NHT stuff. They were about the only ones I could find on the net and they cut me a package deal that was better than my local dealer, so I went with them. They are an authroized dealer as well...so the 5 year warranty is all good.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
A few places are authorized dealers for NHTs (not all the models, but certain ones from time to time): onecall.com and Audio/Video Logic (they advertise in Stereophile and on audiogon) come to mind. NHTs are also very easy to buy used.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Well, I'm not from St. Louis, though I did escape from Cleveland some number of decades ago.

Now I'm a happy New Yorker, with a 2.5i/AC-1/1.5 system, driven by a Yamaha DSP-3090. (The TV is a Sony 32XBR250).

I am now renovating a new apartment, with in-wall wiring for a 7.1 system--I anticipate getting a Denon 5803. My plans for speakers are still unsettled.

My biggest problem is a lack of space next to my TV-to-be. I was close to getting the new Toshiba 57hlx82 LCoS, assuming I could fit it in the elevator. For various reasons I decided to wait--they've already ended the 57hlx82 production run, the next generation model will (hopefully) be out in the fall, and I won't be moving in until late July at the earliest. Also, Sony is supposed to come out with a similar technology set, sometime in the next year or so.

But regardless of what TV I end up with, there will be no way to fit the 2.5i's (or anything with a side-facing driver) next to it.

Originally I was going get an entire new set of speakers (using my current ones in my office/den). I was going to get M5s for the front and center, and a U2 system for a sub. But then I realized there was no way to use the 2.5i's in the office/den either--not only for lack of space, but because of shielding problems also.

Then I got the idea of using the 2.5i's as my rear surrounds. They'll have to go in the corners, not the optimum placement I know, but acceptable I think. AND, my electrician used dual pair speaker cables--so I can bi-amplify the 2.5i's. (Anyone have an extra SA-2 amp lying around?). Now I'm wondering if I really need separate subs--The 2.5i's are good down to 29hz--The U2's don't go down much below that. What do people think?

I'm going to design a wall unit to go around the TV, whatever it turns out to be. MAYBE there will be room to squeeze in M5s next to the screen, but I doubt it. I think my front speakers will end up on top of the TV--which means I'd have room for M6s!

I have no idea what's best for the side surrounds. Should I use the 1.5's? (My wife said it would be OK to have them up on stands, but she hasn't actually seen them like that (They're just sitting on the floor now.)) They are rather big and ugly. Or, I've been thinking of trying to get a pair of the NDP-1 dipoles (is that the right name?) on eBay. Does anyone have experience with them?

So NHT fans, what's your advice?

Thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I have been an NHT fan after auditioning several 2-4k speakers four years ago and getting a pair of 2.9s. The AC2 came shortly after, and a used pair of 3.3s two years ago (sold the 2.9s to a friend). I have also owned other NHTs (used as rears, sides, rear centers): VT1.2, VT2 (awesome rears!), superzeros, superones, VS2, VS1.4.

My current setup consists of 3.3 mains, AC2, 1.5 rears (to the side), superzero rears (have to be small to hang on the back wall near a staircase), and two SW3P subs (placed as end tables and used as side/LFE subs). I am driving the front 3 and one sub with two Parasound 2200II 250x2 amps. A Parasound 806 80x6 amp drives the four rears, with the last two channels bridged for my other sub. I previously drove NHTs with Citation, Denon, HK, Marantz amps (all good).

I am thinking about trying to *sneak in* and replace the side 1.5s with a pair of used 2.9s :) Sycamore would blend in well with my living room, black might be hard.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Only if I can get them for under 900 used (need a fire sale!). But really, I don't need to do anything, I'm pretty happy with my system :)

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How much do the used 3.3's and 2.9's go for? What would be considered a good deal? And where do you guys get these discontinued models from? Local audio store? Online?

I might save up enough for a pair of 3.3's, in a few years time.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Ricky, that's one of my problems with using my 1.5s on the sides--the color. I thought about bidding on a pair of white ones on eBay, but there's still the size to consider--this is going into my 12X21 living room (which also, believe it or not, will be my dining room!).

Rich

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For those of you who own 3.3's, how is the soundstage. I just visited NHT's homepage and read stereophile's review of 3.3's from 1994 (I believe?), and I was amazed the guy who did the review flat out and said that 3.3's are "the best speakers he has ever heard." That sounds incredible coming from stereophile.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
4Csons, get thee to eBay. There are lots of older NHTs for sale there.

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought my pair of 1.5's from ebay. But I've never seen anyone selling 3.3's on ebay (the shipping charge would be prohibitive).

The highest model number I've seen are 2.5's.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.