AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far in the hunt for new speakers in the $600 to $800 dollar range the NHT SB3(for $480/pr) & the M5($720/pr) are the best here locally. The dealer was telling that the CO. that owns NHT I think he said Recon is in financial trouble. Our worry is if we buy these and they go under,then what? What if they are defective? Is it worth the chance to buy these? Has anyone heard about this and if so, anyone have any other info on this?

The 2nd choice for us would be Paradigm Studio 40's($800/pr) Are these good prices for these?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Don't buy Paradigm. I owned one before and are totally unmusical. Unless if you like your sound to be balanced on the bass side then Paradigm might be for you. But too me, Paradigms are dull sounding.

NHTs are good, but you can find better value for the money. Try Sound Dynamics RTS-7, they are currently at Audio Advisor for only 299. I own Sound Dynamics speakers and feel that they are one of the most balanced and musical sounding speakers out there regardless of price.

James

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I have heard the Monitor Audio Silver series. My cousin had the 9i, I think. Sounded preety good. Very clean sounding, however a little too forward for my tastes. But it might be to your liking, my cousin really loved them.

Listen to Sound Dynamics first, you will be amazed at how neutral and transparent sounding they are. In my opinion they are better than the Monitor Audio's, way, way better than NHT, and the Paradigms don't even come close. Not many people have sound dynamics because many don't have a chance to listen to them (hard to find). Although you can read reviews at AudioReview.com

James

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
NHT M6/T5s got great reviews from sound & Vision and Home theater mag..

I am purchasing T6 unit within a few months, will post review when I will..

check out www.nhthifi.com for reviews in pdf format & other info.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
I have been a longtime NHT fan, and bought some SB-3 for my girlfriend about 6 weeks ago. For the money, I liked how they sounded, and she loved how they looked. They also got a near rave review in Stereophile November 2002.

My one criticism of the SB-3 -> they cannot play loud full-range without the woofer breaking up. If you are only going 2-channel with these and want to rock-out, these aren't for you. If you will be integrating them with a sub, then you are OK.

- Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.