Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I'm picking this previously enjoyed unit to-day and it will be married to a Denon 5800/03.

The upgrade to the 5800, added THX ULTRA 2 capabilities and speaker setup questions with regard to the sub.

The SUB 2 goes to 21hz +- 3, run by a 500w Sunfire amp with 2 10" drivers.

In the speaker setup regarding the sub the Denon asks "do you have a THX ULTRA 2 certified sub or one that goes to 20hz".

I have three questions.

1. The SUB 2 has a separate controller, Should I use it given that the Denon seems to want control?

2. Should I answer yes or no re the 20hz question?

3. I have a relatively small room 15'D X10-12'W X 8'H, since I will not be running this unit anywher near it's max volume, does it help the unit go lower since I won't be taxing the amp or does volume level have no effect on it's spec'd capability?

Oh yeah, one more, is anyone going to be arround Etobicoke Ontario Canada at about 3pm to help me carry this up the stairs? My Paradigm PDR 8 (which did a great job for its size) did not pose this problem.

"JUST KIDDING, my wife will do it."

Thanks in advance,

Peter m.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Peter,

I almost picked up that exact sub when I was looking for subs a few years back. Good find.

Question 1 - Yes you should use your seperate controller as the amp and xover is built into this. If you bolted this controller on the NHT to the back of the sub it would be just like any other subwoofer in that the controls are on the back. IMHO, more companies should go the seperate xover / amp route for their subs as it makes adjustments so much easier. Placement is made easier since you are not tied down with outlet locations and or extension cords. Most companies don't go the outboard route probably because of cost. The one good thing about this outboard controller is that you can daisy chain it to another NHT 2 sub.

Question 2- I would say yes - not sure what this setting on the 5800 will do though - probably some type of equalization.

Question 3 - obviously you are not going to feel as much punch at lower levels but you should still have some bottom end. The only way to find out is to measure it with a freq sweep and SPL meter.

I'm not sure where you are going to fit this thing as it is big. I would offer to help but I'm about 2000 miles from home.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.